Fit cupholders to pre facelift without any Mods!!!

I already did a similar mod earlier this year but used the Audi cup holder so had to modify the dash console and add to piece to close the gap. (pictures should still be in my original posts)

I moved all the switches over to the right and put the drinks holder on the left so it would be away from the steering wheel plus not block the infra-red link from my steering wheel remote to the stereo. I would also do this mod now if someone else goes ahead and does it with some installation pics! But I'd have to get another centre console trim panel as the other one was cut up from the inside. May still work If I was desperate but selling the car on anyway now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yes the switches will pop out after levering off the edges with a flat bladed instrument but take care not to scratch the trim. It depends if they will fit on the right-hand side of the hazard light switch considering that the switches are curved on one side only!

Rick - I'm looking to get a Nissan 350Z next but my mates keep trying to convince me it will be a bad investment from a depreciation point of view, plus the fact the build quality won't be up to German standards........which is something I admit will be true!

Audi need to produce a proper sports coupe... A4 sized with a decent engine and good handling...But will it EVER happen!?

I hope so because there would be so many more buyers out there! I read in car magazine that the new TT will have a diesel option - just imagine the Torque in that baby and the mileage! Ideal for me as I do alot of trips to the Midlands for the in-laws! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Naresh said:Rick - I'm looking to get a Nissan 350Z next but my mates keep trying to convince me it will be a bad investment from a depreciation point of view, plus the fact the build quality won't be up to German standards........which is something I admit will be true!

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is though 'does it have cupholders' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

One pop-out cup holder yes but it won't a drink still while you're driving unlike the Audi! Its more for your passenger while you're parked up and having a drive-through meal etc, not that I would allow any food in the car!! (anyone seen Bad boys 1??)

How do you get the blanking switches out without knackerign your dash with a trusty screwdriver??????

Also has anybody got a part number yet????

BigT

First you need to remove the radio.
Then you remove the switch panel trim by unhooking it at the bottom.
Then you can get at the switch blanks and install the cup holder.

You can just pull out the blanks.

Was kinda hoping wouldn't have to remove the radio - oh well - does anyone know where i can get some removal keys???

BigT

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
So has anyone done this yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just planning to talk about it for a week or so until we get bored with the thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Have bought mt stereo keys this afternoon - taking switches out and swapping rear screen switch tomorrow.

Then upto Seat on Monday morning - i will do it if nobody else does!!!!!

Watch this space.......

BigT

[ QUOTE ]
BIGT said:
Have bought mt stereo keys this afternoon - taking switches out and swapping rear screen switch tomorrow.

Then upto Seat on Monday morning - i will do it if nobody else does!!!!!

Watch this space.......

BigT

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one, can I come and watch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No probs - will try and photo all stages - although if its as simple as its made out to be will just document it stage by stage.

Swapped around all switches which was dead easy once i bought stereo keys from Halfords.

Next stop Seat garage........

BigT

Update - Unfortunately this is not so simple!!! without any mod is not quite true.

Been too my local Seat Dealer to take a peek at ye olde cupholder. The space left by the two blanking switches is two separate holes not ONE large oblong as required for the cupholder. SO you can fit the cupholder but you have to cut out the plastic between the two holes (IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE!!!)

In a nutshell - if you are happy to cut your dash you can fit the cupholders if not then its no go i am afraid.

I personaly don't wanna start cuttin stuff so will put up with me passenger holding the drink!!!!!

BigT

Surely a quick hacksaw would do the job then once new holder is fitted it will look OE

Is two A3/S3 holes + gap the same siza as Seat cup holder?

i had a look the other day, i noticed that it would be a case of cut the dash on my '98 a3. thing being if it were cut there would be no support for the cup holder at the back. in my experiencd opinion it May fit a newer a3 the type that should already come with cup holders1

but if anyone else wants to hack the seperating part up and it works then i would try too.

I understand that some people feel unhappy about chopping the piece of plastic out, but if you do get it wrong all you need to replace is the small part above the radio. It doesn't cost much if you do.

Up to you tho.

Guys - my cupholder didn't have any support at the back either but if you remove the whole centre console section you can work on it easily and manufacture a bespoke support. I used small blocks of rubber either side of the cupholder, and at the back which were superglued in place! It hasn't moved at all and easily supports a full 500ml bottle whilst driving!

Bear in mind though I used the OEM Audi cup holder though and not the Seat one.

I already did this before and got mixed reviews but before you all slate me, just think I took that "fit a cupholder where no cupholder has been before" attitude and used it to good effect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Not the new position of the switches too!

So is this the end of this thread then...
What happened to the "to fit a cupholder where no man has fit a cupholder before" attitude.

PS i was one of the bystanders who was waiting to see if this actually worked, then would have done it myself...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

How did it go, was it a good fit? Only a couple of years behind!:racer:

Great find guys, I defo wanna do this!

Anyone got the URL of another pic?! I can't seem to see the one in the first post?!

Anyone got part no's yet?

Thanks in advance.

Went to the seat dealer to check this out. Fair play to the guy, he showed me the Leon in question and compared it to my own car, but I am sorry to say it just does not fit. Well it may fit, but it would leave an edge exposed (i.e the audi has rounded edges, while the Leon has one straight edge!)

not for me I am afraid!!!

Does the audi post facelift cup holder not fit then if you move the the rear window demister over to the right?! surely it would! lol

seems a lot of fuss over a cup holder imo... in the two years I have had my car I have used it only once or twice...

Did anyone ever get a part number for this?

6 years later and im thinking that you guys just didnt try hard enough. :arco:

I supose it all comes down to how badly you want a cupholder lol. Iv just ordered the leon cupholder.....

I have heated seats so im thinking,,,,, move the lefthand heat switch to the right, relocate the rear window heater switch and scrap the esp....

no ones mensioned the thought of using the curved edge of a blanking switch to fuse onto the edge of a cut back face of the cup holder.... plastic filler then paint??

is there a part number? seems like people have been asking for 9 years, i have pre facelift interior and the only cup holders are on the glove box lid that are really shallow and hold nothing stable!

6 years later and im thinking that you guys just didnt try hard enough. :arco:

I supose it all comes down to how badly you want a cupholder lol. Iv just ordered the leon cupholder.....

I have heated seats so im thinking,,,,, move the lefthand heat switch to the right, relocate the rear window heater switch and scrap the esp....

no ones mensioned the thought of using the curved edge of a blanking switch to fuse onto the edge of a cut back face of the cup holder.... plastic filler then paint??

Never knew this thread existed- or putting a Leon cup holder in the area would work!

I have heated seats and the window heater switch but no ESP :arco:

Where were you thinking about moving the rear window heater switch to?