Fitted New Tarox Rear Discs Today

Arcam

Reaction score
20160618 123714
I thought I would post up my rear discs swap that I carried out today, just for the record on the 8V chassis the rear caliper brackets do NOT need to be removed to replace the discs, only the caliper slider pins which makes the jobs much less painless
smile.png

I think you will agree that they look a lot better than OEM particularly with the front matching Tarox discs.
20160618 103457
20160618 105014
20160618 110324
20160618 120410

Reactions: ruairi83 and jimojameso
Looks great mate! how much were they and is it a big job?
The fronts are £993 and the rears are £264. It is not a hard job if you can get the car high enough to get the leaverage on the front caliper bolts, a ramp is ideal for that.

The rears are easy enough but you will need a VCDS or equivalent tool to wind the handbrake off assuming you will replace the pads at the same time (which you should).

Sent using Tapatalk

The fronts are £993 and the rears are £264. It is not a hard job if you can get the car high enough to get the leaverage on the front caliper bolts, a ramp is ideal for that.

The rears are easy enough but you will need a VCDS or equivalent tool to wind the handbrake off assuming you will replace the pads at the same time (which you should).

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks mate

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi @Arcam, my A3 8V has electric handbrake too and was planning on replacing my rear discs and pads on my driveway. I dont have VCDS unfortunately, but instead cant you un-plug the handbrake connector instead then use a tool to stretch out the pads from the disc? If that makes sense?

Hi @Arcam, my A3 8V has electric handbrake too and was planning on replacing my rear discs and pads on my driveway. I dont have VCDS unfortunately, but instead cant you un-plug the handbrake connector instead then use a tool to stretch out the pads from the disc? If that makes sense?

If you are swapping the discs and pads (best option) then I would say you defo need to have the HB electronically wound back, as you don't have the tool do you live near anyone who could pop round and wind them off for you? Failing that there are a few "bodge" options as shown on various YouTube videos which wind the HB off by connecting a 12v power source to the motor by reversing its normal feed direction, not my cup of tea and other may be able to offer better advice.

Ah gotcha, would definitely prefer to do it via VCDS then (yes changing both discs and pads). I know someone who would let me borrow their laptop with VAGCOM installed if I asked nicely, but what do I have to do within VAGCOM i.e which menus do I need to go into in order to disable the handbrake? Apologies, I've only used it once before hence my knowledge of VCDS is pretty novice..

Cheers

A quick google search gives me this, is this what you done?

Open Rear Parking Brake
Prerequisites:

• Connect a battery charger as per repair manual.
  • Cycle the Parking Brake ON, then OFF first.
[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Select Start lining change mode[Go!] to activate the Basic Setting.
The brake calipers will then open, allowing the pads to be changed.
You should hear the rear caliper motors operating.
Wait 30 seconds after it says Not Running or the noises have stopped before clicking [Stop]
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

• Turn ignition off and leave battery charger connected.
The caliper pistons do not move back into the caliper, they must be pushed in using a hand tool. Fault code 721152 - Brake pad replacement mode active will be stored, this is normal.

Close Rear Parking Brake
Prerequisites:

• Connect a battery charger as per repair manual.
[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Select End lining change mode[Go!] to activate the Basic Setting.
The brake calipers will then close.
Wait 30 seconds after it says Not Running or the noises have stopped before clicking [Stop]
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

• Turn ignition off
The LED in the parking brake switch and the warning lamp in the instrument cluster will probably continue to blink rapidly in addition to Fault code 721152 - Brake pad replacement mode active. This should stop after cycling the Parking Brake ON, then OFF again using the switch in the vehicle while holding the brake pedal AFTER all rear brake components are reassembled.

Ah gotcha, would definitely prefer to do it via VCDS then (yes changing both discs and pads). I know someone who would let me borrow their laptop with VAGCOM installed if I asked nicely, but what do I have to do within VAGCOM i.e which menus do I need to go into in order to disable the handbrake? Apologies, I've only used it once before hence my knowledge of VCDS is pretty novice..

Cheers

I don't have mine in front of me but it is pretty easy, here is the link from Ross-Tech's page: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_VII_(5G/AU)_ABS_Brakes#Basic_Setting

LOL!

Yes :) did not bother with the battery charger bit though.

Reactions: SJ43
Cheers Pal! Great minds think alike and all that lol, thanks for confirming the link!

Yea can probably get away without that.

Cheers Pal! Great minds think alike and all that lol, thanks for confirming the link!

Yea can probably get away without that.
No problem :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reactions: SJ43