Fitting 8V steering wheel to 8P S3...?

RobeyOne

Reaction score
Slightly different to my earlier post....

My flat bottom steering wheel was recently stolen from my 2011 S3 s-tronic, and it's proving hard to find a replacement.

Does anyone know whether a later 8V S-line wheel, of which there are many around, will fit and connect up with paddles etc?

Short answer: no. 8V uses a single stage airbag and 8P uses a dual stage.

Sorry it's not an answer to the question but has someone broken in to your car, removed and stolen the steering wheel?

There are wheels that fit your need on ebay but they are £500+ might be worth getting insurance involved and just get a proper new replacement. It's what its there for at the end of the day.

Reactions: ch1z64
thanks maxpayne, shame - thought that might be too easy!

Yes stbuk this is post-theft, funnily enough I did think to contact my insurers! I've not able to find any on eBay UK that meet the brief: 8P flat-bottom, nice condition, paddles, airbag - if you've seen any then please feel free to share a link.
Thanks

Btw.....new from Audi is close to grand with the airbag :scared2:

There are similar versions for A4/5 that are dual, but need wiring changes.

Of course nobody including factory can gustaguar the airbags going of tbh as numerous variables, but there would be no errors.

As max states, it's imperative to get the correct wheel cause the linbus won't understand the signals for other wheels.

As max states, it's imperative to get the correct wheel cause the linbus won't understand the signals for other wheels.
I always thought that I could hook up an Arduino between the steering wheel controls and the actual connection (basically act as a man in the middle interceptor) and basically mimic the older LINBUS protocol with the newer steering wheels (ignoring the fact that I'll need to power the board somehow haha) As usual time is the enemy.

No reason why not, as long as space, wiring permits

Sadly I'm not proficient enough with electronics to attempt such a mod, but I'm finding it impossible to find a replacement wheel of the right spec. Going down the OE route is actually closer to £1,500 inc. the vat...

So I'd be very keen to learn more about possible alternative wheels and what re-pinning is required - even if only as a temporary measure while I continue to look for a nice S3 wheel...

Alternatively, if I do end up having to pay silly money for a new wheel, are there aftermarket or upgrade wheels (alcantra etc) which are recommended?

Thanks in advance - I'm trying to get my stricken S3 back on the road so any help is greatly appreciated.....

Well if you're UK based I can source a wheel & fit it, for less than £1500 that's for sure, pm if interested.