fitting hid's. Remove your bumper ?

audi doodey

Reaction score
hi all
have taken the plunge and now have an upgrade set of hid's. i have spoken to two garages, one of which service my car, and they both say the bumper needs to be removed when fitting this kit, thats around two hours labour:wtf: none of you seem to mention this when fitting your kits,so im not sure whats going on here.

my car is a B6 03 plate a4 130 se.
any comments appreciated.
regards Stan.

There is no need to do that at all, it is easier to take the headlights out, but thats all thats required. Do a search for previous HID posts in this section as I have posted a diagram which illustrates how to remove the headlights. If you can't find it let me know and I will dig it out tomorrow.

Basically there are two bolts on the top of the light unit to be fully removed. There are also two bolts at the base of the rear of the light unit to be be undone about three quarters of the way, do not remove them! If you unplug the wires from the back of the unit then the headlight will slide out. Take care not to scratch the bumper when you do so, and don't put the lights down face first or you will scratch the lenses.

Dig out the previous post's and you will be fine!

Agreed, there is no need to remove the bumper, the headlights do need to come out, but to be honest, HID kits are a DIY job. The only thing you need to do is drill an appropriately sized hole in the bulb cover flap, and mount the ballasts somewhere safe. Bolting is best, but zip ties work aswell.

Have a look at the headlight when you get it out, and the instructions with the kit. It'll save you a bundle of money doing it yourself. Plus you can hide the ballasts out of harms way. A garage will always go for the fastest position so they can spend less time on it while charging big money!