Fitting HID's

mattypgolf

Matty A4 TDi Sport
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for fitting an hid kit to a4 b6 1.9tdi!

I know its not the easiest job getting the bulbs out

regards

Getting the headlight out is mega easy, its an under 2min job once youve done it before. Unscrew the top 2 screws fully. Then unscrew the lower 2 screws half way. The light just slides out and you can unclip the connector.

Once youve done that theres a space at the bottom of the headlight to fit a slimline ballast into just requires a bit of modding to run all the wires etc.

Im gonna fit mine today, want me to get you some pics?

That would be great of you, mine should arrive tomoz, i really need to get some pics of my car up!!

As above, it really is quite a simple job. Hardest thing on mine was finding somewhere to secure the ballasts, as they aren't the slimline ones.

One thing that's important to do, and assuming that your headlights are already aligned properly, is to park it opposite a wall or something whilst you do the work if you can (there isn't a wall at the end of my drive, so I used two wheelie bins instead!) and draw a chalk line showing the existing beam pattern. When you've got your HID's in, realign them to those marks and you should be good to go.

It makes so much difference, the halogens really are a bit dire on the A4 B6, as they were on my old A3 8L in all honesty!

did mine today i dont have the slim ballasts ether when you take out the drivers head light you can see in said the front wheels ach i put my ballast in there fixed to the top bolt of the bummber where it mounts to the wing the othere one i put by the left of the powerstearing bottle as i have a cover over that side it cant be seen if you want you can fit this one in the same place but if you have the slim ballasts then do as woorlord did he did a mega good job its all posted up here. must say wow im sooooooooooooo glad i did them so much nicer than the old lights

any reason you went for those without slimline ballasts?
£70 seems pricey for a standard kit. HIDDirect are a good source and there kits are getting smaller and smaller

any reason you went for those without slimline ballasts?
£70 seems pricey for a standard kit. HIDDirect are a good source and there kits are getting smaller and smaller

Principally because they're easier to hide away, especially in the oem place under the headlight.

i was looking at some other HID kits on the bay and some are saying they are good for cars with canbus im thinking my kit is not is this a problem ?

Do your HID's give a bulb out warning Simon?

Canbus kits are designed to counteract this, but if it's not a problem for you I wouldn't worry.

no mate i dont have the bulb out warning on my car ;-( so i dont need it cool thanks james

Hi, I've got a standard HID kit with the larger ballasts sitting around. I'm hoping to fit this to my B6. I realise that I'll need to buy some cancellers for it but I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a guide for fitting these. I've seen one where the slim ballasts are fitted in the head light but I'm not going to do that. Will I still need to drill a whole for the HID bulb to go through cover on the back of the headlamp? If so, does this lead to any moisture getting in?

Thanks