Fitting satnav on 2002-2003 S3

ellhans

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What's the deal with fitting the same factory standard Satnav on the 2002-2003 model S3's? Will it be a matter of just popping out the radio head unit and plugging the satnav in to any prewirings behind it and popping it in, or is it a little more tricky than that?

Basically, I would like to buy a 2002-2003 S3 model with all the extra's, but finding one of these is impossible, infact I haven't seen one that completely fits my description as of yet and i've been looking for about 3 months, but i've seen plenty that will fill my requirements minus the sat nav option. So I'm thinking, buy an S3 without the satnav extra, get an S3 satnav unit from ebay and then fitting it myself. I would like it to be exactly how it would come out of the factory, no loose wires or any bodge ups :no:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh, and if anyone has an S3 for sale, let me know :icon_thumright:

What sat nav are you looking at because it will depend how hard/easy it is to fit. You have a choice of RNS-D which is CD based and was standard fit on the 8L S3 (the model you are looking at), or you have RNS-E which is DVD based from the new versions.

RNS-E is far superior and will fit into a old S3 with a few mods, wiring harnesses are available from www.kufatec.de

Ellhands send me a PM with your e-mail address as I have something that will help you out.

Hi Guys,

I was looking at the RNS-D (if this is the one that originally comes with the 8L S3's). But also how tricky would it be to fit RNS-E if it wasn't designed for this model S3?

Will both these sat navs be compatible with the 6CD changer and bose system?

Thanks,
Elliott

Ellhans you have PM.

RNS-D would be slightly easier but they seem to cost the same on E-bay. So if you going to do it I would go for the RNS-E.

No problem with bose or non-bose. I couldn't get my CD changer to work with the RNS-E but if you get the latest changer then no problems but with 2 SD solts do you need it?

Ah 2 SD slots? Looks like RNS-E is a must then :D

How does the music look from the RNS-E? Is it easily organisable by artist/album etc?

Anyone here willing to fit an RNS-E on a 2001/2/3 S3 for me on the cheap?

Excellent, what's his user name, where is he located and how much does he charge?

You'd be the one.

What are you prices for an RNS-E into an 8L S3? And where abouts are you based?

The prices are on the website, if you have a Symphony II, then an A4 unit will fit nicely. And that costs £899 fitted with DVD and manual.

I'm based in Manchester.

Craig

So the latest A4 RNS-E fits in the 8L, but the RNS-E from the 8P doesn't?

Yes, the 8L was never supplied with RNS-E so the 8P RNS-E is the wrong shape, the A4 unit needs to be modified to fit the A3 8L, but the results are excellent.

rick1.jpg

rick2.jpg