FIXED OR VARIABLE SERVICING ???

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , i'm looking into buying a Tdi sportback and was wondering whether to choose the 'fixed' or 'variable' servicing package . My circumstances are as follows :- roughly 10,000 miles per year mostly shortish journeys - what do you recommend , thanks ?

Must admit, I've been wondering the same thing. I'm used to fixed servicing on my 8L (nice and predictable) and I'm leaning toward it for my imminently due 8P. Especially as my dads 8L on AVS doesn't seem to go two mins between servicing!

I would change to fixed yearly servicing with your annual mileage as this will be more regular than variable services. I have done this myself on my car as probably do simialr mileage to you. I'm sure someone far more qualified will be along to provide their advice...

I'm on the variable regime and I think its great. I pay £199 for a variable service approximately every 22 months and do my own intermediate oil & filter change each year for £25, using pukka VW507 spec oil from my local trade motor factors.

That way I have a fully stamped official Audi service history and it costs me less that I pay for servicing my wife's Toyota Yaris....

Thanks guy's , i was thinking of going down the 'fixed' route baring in mind that most of my journey's are short . I notice that the oil service is for 9000 miles or 1 year so i guess i'll be having the oil change less than every 11 months . Do you think that the '9000' figure is arrived so that Audi get more than the normal once a year visit ??? Cheers .

Thanks guy's , i was thinking of going down the 'fixed' route baring in mind that most of my journey's are short . I notice that the oil service is for 9000 miles or 1 year so i guess i'll be having the oil change less than every 11 months . Do you think that the '9000' figure is arrived so that Audi get more than the normal once a year visit ??? Cheers .

I think you will find that the 9000 miles comes from the fact that it's a nice round 15,000 km in the same way as the two year interval is a nice round 30,000 km or 19,000 miles.

As far as intermediate oil changes are concerned they are not necessary. Today's long life oils will easily last one year or 9000 miles. Audi were at the forefront of asking the oil companies to develop oils that would mean a longer time between changes. The idea that more frequent oil changes are required comes from the past when the oil would not last as long. In the original VW Beetle days they required an oil change every 3000 miles and most of my early cars needed an oil change every 6000 miles. All my A3s have been on the Audi Longlife Service setup and my oil only gets changed every 18,000 to 19,000 miles and none has ever shown any problems.

As far as intermediate oil changes are concerned they are not necessary. Today's long life oils will easily last one year or 9000 miles. Audi were at the forefront of asking the oil companies to develop oils that would mean a longer time between changes. The idea that more frequent oil changes are required comes from the past when the oil would not last as long.
Not saying Dave's posted anything incorrect - I think for the early life of the vehicle AVS is just as problem-free as conventional servicing; but speaking as someone who enjoys more 'vintage' Audis; I think it's worth noting that only now are we beginning to see the long term effects of AVS servicing (as the earliest vehicles to be serviced on this regime are now around 10 years old). I can't speak for everyone, but AVS makes me a bit more wary than nice regular changes - there a fair few driving 2.5 TDIs around with badly worn cams who'd probably agree, and an equal if not larger number of 1.8T owners with shiny new oil pumps (if they're lucky) due to problems with oil sludge - there's more of this type of thing, you see what I'm trying to say - there's evidence appearing now to suggest AVS might be far from the best way to look after an engine. Anywho, to each his own; but as I say, a fair number of used-Audi buyers are now starting to get more cautious about AVS serviced vehicles; just another thing to consider perhaps.

With the mileage and style of usage described in post #1 - I (personally) wouldn't bother with AVS anyway, it sounds like you'll be having a proper service every 12 months, and perhaps I'd change the oil myself (or at an Indy - no stamp required so long as you still get stealer service on the schedule) between...

All the best,

Rob.

You may well be right Rob, but the purchaser of a new Audi is not generally that bothered about what happens when the car gets older. In my case I buy a new A3 and do around 12,000 miles a year sell it at around 3 years. I pay for only one service during that time. The car is serviced by the same dealer that sold me the car are they are more than happy to give what I consider a good trade-in price against the next new one.

Not having control over what happens for the first few years of a cars life is one of the disadvantages of buying second-hand.

Out of interest how do you get your post to take up the full widith of the page because mine always wraps part way across!!

You may well be right Rob, but the purchaser of a new Audi is not generally that bothered about what happens when the car gets older. In my case I buy a new A3 and do around 12,000 miles a year sell it at around 3 years. I pay for only one service during that time. The car is serviced by the same dealer that sold me the car are they are more than happy to give what I consider a good trade-in price against the next new one.

Not having control over what happens for the first few years of a cars life is one of the disadvantages of buying second-hand.
I guess some people think "I'm alright Jack" more than others then ;)

Out of interest how do you get your post to take up the full widith of the page because mine always wraps part way across!!
It's a vB4 CSS bug that one, probably once this reply is posted yours will then spread to the full width...

Cheese :)

Rob.

If you are ordering a new car I would go for variable. See how you get on and whether it suits your circumstances. Give it a year or so and compare prices for the two services based on your mileage. You can always switch to fixed at a later date but can't go from fixed to variable.