Facelift FL manual gear change

RSS-S3

Reaction score
Hi fellow S3 enthusiasts!

Im wondering whats the best course of action for minimising the inevitable gear change lurch on a manual car?

Springs or engine/gearbox mounts etc.

Or all of the above?

Gracias

Hi fellow S3 enthusiasts!

Im wondering whats the best course of action for minimising the inevitable gear change lurch on a manual car?

Springs or engine/gearbox mounts etc.

Or all of the above?

Gracias
Inevitable?

Practice. There is no inevitable lurch. As long as your left foot is in tune and in control, pulling away and changing gear should be as smooth as butter... Removing compliance from bushings etc will only exacerbate a bad technique and make any lurching worse.

Inevitable?

Practice. There is no inevitable lurch. As long as your left foot is in tune and in control, pulling away and changing gear should be as smooth as butter... Removing compliance from bushings etc will only exacerbate a bad technique and make any lurching worse.

Manuals always have a delay between shifting. You will certainly get some lurch between gear changes if giving it the said beans.

Its always really smooth at low speeds in town, Certainly no issues there!

But high power changes do pause a little,No matter how careful you are.

I apologise for my lack of racing car driver skills

I had a spirited drive yesterday and can't say I noticed any lurching!

Well, since it's a nice day I've decided to treat myself to a pub lunch in the countryside, and have driven from East London out in the wilds of Essex, not too far from the Suffolk border. As I sit here in the pub garden sipping a cool half and waiting from my cheese ploughmans to arrive I can just make out the tell tale 'tick-tick-ping-tick' noises eminating from the brakes, engine, turbo and exhaust system that are the result of having thrashed the car like a ginger stepchild for the last 50 miles or so...

If theres a latent defect in the clutch hydraulic system I cant detect it, and I've been looking for it for the last hour. No bizarre cases of the clutch not letting out as fast as my left foot wants due to a restriction in the line, and no lurching around other than that created by me with my ham-fisted atttempts to provoke said lurching,

@RSS-S3 This lurch you speak of, is it just the normal pause in torque delivery that you get when you disengage drive to shift gears? If so, then Im not sure what the problem is, youre never going to be able to replicate the banzai seamless torque delivery of the S&Tonic 'box. If theres something more, perhaps you could video it so we know what youre talking about.

The CDV problem in the R gives you two problems:
1. On super fast gear changes the clutch doesn't re-engage fast enough leaving you in a sort of neutral and the revs sometimes bouncing off the limiter
2. On low speed manoeuvres on a hill the clutch doesn't bite quickly enough leaving you with a lovely burnt clutch smell- like some sort of L driver.

As for the lurching, the CDV's main aim is to stop that happening, which it does, but at the expense of the two problems above.

There is NO mechanical deffect with my car, I simply wanted to know if there was any way of improving the movement when you are accelerating hard through the gears from either stationary or low speed.

Its the pause between gear changes im talking about :)

There is NO mechanical deffect with my car, I simply wanted to know if there was any way of improving the movement when you are accelerating hard through the gears from either stationary or low speed.

Its the pause between gear changes im talking about :)

In that case, no there's not a great deal you can do that Audi haven't already done by fitting chunky rubber mounts, mass dampers, and a dual mass flywheel. The usual tricks of poly bushing, stiffer mounts, solid flywheel etc. will only make it worse, and it's already a pretty short throw at the gear lever, so a quick shifter isn't going to help much either.
Unless you buy one with an S&Tonic 'box, you're always going to suffer the interruption in power delivery when you change gear, the fact that you feel it so strongly has more to to with the amount of power being interrupted than the gearbox and clutch that's doing it.

I've got a Sachs 4 paddle clutch and a forge short shift, also having the restrictive washer in the clutch delay valve removed.

I can say that I have no problems what so ever and those modifications have have it a lot better, well that's my opinion anyway.

Reactions: RSS-S3
I've got a Sachs 4 paddle clutch and a forge short shift, also having the restrictive washer in the clutch delay valve removed.

I can say that I have no problems what so ever and those modifications have have it a lot better, well that's my opinion anyway.
Will certainly be upgrading the clutch when Ive killed the stock one!

I just changed it as it was starting to slip on stage 2.

Reactions: RSS-S3