FL S3 pops and bangs

nothingness

Reaction score
Is there any way to get rid of the pops and bangs the FL S3 makes in dynamic (and dynamic exhaust in Individual)? Like in vagcom or something?

There's a few reasons I want to do this, mainly because I like driving with my windows down in dynamic (usually dynamic exhaust in Individual and comfort everything else) because the exhaust makes a nice burble... but with this comes these pops and bangs after acceleration. Which would be fine but round here you get this same overrun fake banging on 1.0 Corsas and similar ilk. In fact, near my house a group of cars go every night and just sit revving their cars making them bang, sounds like shotgun blasts...every night.

So it's somewhat embarrassing when my car does it when I overtake someone or such, I bet any pedestrians or other car owners think I'm one of the nobs who do this locally.

I recently went past a Community Speed Watch group, despite them hanging out in a NSL zone and me not exceeding the NSL, my exhaust happened to bang on the s-tronic upshift into third (partial throttle) before I saw them...one of them shouted something at me I only heard the last part "******" and a week later I received two letters saying I was caught speeding by them twice...on the same day... having only passed them once...and not actually speeding... and so my vehicle details have been sent to the "road policing unit" whatever this means. So the loud exhaust bang has already got me into trouble.

And thirdly at some point I want to do a sport cat, and I believe that extra fuel on overrun to cause bangs actually wears out a sports cat quite quickly.

So is it just a case of turning something off, or is it part of the ECU map? I would guess the former as in comfort it doesn't do it (but in comfort you get fake noise that sounds like a golf VR5 and the valves don't open properly).

Thanks

The real exhaust pops are part of the ECU map, only way is a remap or don't drive in dynamic.

You can turn off the fake engine noise by either disconecting the sound actuator or removing via VCDS
  • From the VCDS main screen click the button “Select”
  • Click the button “A9 Structure Borne Sound”
  • Click the button “Adaption 10”
  • Use the Channel drop down and select “Volume of structure borne noise actuator” For me it was the only one.
  • Enter a value. Default value is 100, setting 50 would reduce the sound by 50%. 0 would turn it off completely.
  • Click “do it”

Reactions: nothingness
I don't mind the fake engine sound when ragging it. People in my car have always commented about how nice the exhaust note is when Ive taken them out for a blast. I've never said its actually fake, they dont really need to know, and its better than the sound of a screaming 4 pot. In my opinion anyway. Each to their own of course.

Reactions: Tom.H
I think mine has had the res delete done, not managed to get under it to see. I also like the fake engine sound in Comfort but the whole unit rattles/buzzes against the dash like it's not secured properly, but it is, I checked.

I think I'm going to permanently open the exhaust flaps, get rid of the Soundaktor and then just leave it in comfort...in comfort it doesn't pop/bang so this would fix my problem I think, and it should burble during light acceleration like it does in dynamic. Just hope it's not too boomy in the cabin on the motorway.

You can get pops and bangs mapped out, but you need to speak with your tuner about this specifically. Many only only sell an off the shelf map that if anything add in more pops and bangs. You might speak to MRC tuning about a stage 1 map and see what they can do for you.

So today I disconnected the valves.

Put the car in dynamic, turned on, put gearbox into Sport (S1), turned the car off, put gearbox into P with car turned off.

Unplugged the valves.

Started car up, now in all modes, exhaust gas comes out of all tailpipes.

Only concerning thing is I read somewhere if the car has a soft ecu fault (exhaust flaps) the ECU will limit power?

Went for a drive to test it, much nicer, little burble at all rpm's, dual carriagway / motorway overtaking a little boomy with windows down but doesn't bother me and if I ever need to do a long trip I can just plug them back in? Town MPG went up, probably because you don't have to accelerate to hear it anymore. I usually have a window open because the car is so noisy anyway, chassis and tyre wise.

Going to tape them up until I buy some blanking plugs, need the right ones so the ecu doesnt limit power....?

Overall, seems like a good result to me.