Flappy paddles

wideboybloke

Reaction score
Is anybody using these much? I thought I'd find them great fun, but the truth is I drive largely by engine note and this car is so damn quiet I can't hear clearly enough what it's doing. Also, the 3 lowest gears are so low the engine seems to overrev well before I sense it's time to change up. I notice that when In auto, at lower speeds it's mostly in 3rd and 4th and 2nd seems hardly used. Does anybody have any advice as to how I can get the hang of manual mode?

On my B8 I drive it like a manual, i.e. anticipate when to change down a gear etc.

Is anybody using these much? I thought I'd find them great fun, but the truth is I drive largely by engine note and this car is so damn quiet I can't hear clearly enough what it's doing. Also, the 3 lowest gears are so low the engine seems to overrev well before I sense it's time to change up. I notice that when In auto, at lower speeds it's mostly in 3rd and 4th and 2nd seems hardly used. Does anybody have any advice as to how I can get the hang of manual mode?
To be honest, I always found it hard to second guess the gearbox - its quite good at what it does, only time I used use paddles was while belting up to a roundabout, and wanted a bit of engine braking to steady things up.

I'd used them a few times during "spirited" drives. But there was only a few times where I was actually better than the car, the engine in Dynamic / Sport is bang on the money.

The example being blipping down twice coming up to a clear a roundabout and then shooting off the other side. Normally the car would change up going round as your foot wasn't hard planted then you lost acceleration /it would change back down when you were on a straight.

Saying that tho, the car in auto / sport is much more willing to go into red rev range that I am comfortable haha, but that might be because I've been use to driving diesels for the past 5 years.

To answer your question, the more you use it, the more you get a "feel" for the car and you'll know when to use them I guess!

There was I was thinking I'd finally pressed every button in the car.... this thread has made me realise I've missed two.....

So far auto mode has been right nearly every time!

Auto mode is ok however I have found on a couple of occasion the kickdown is sluggish..