Flash Car Wash

NEiLS3LK51

Reaction score
Just to continue the new discussion in the swirl removal thread...

Where I live the water is very hard, so by the time I start chamoising I always get
some dried in lime dopisits on the paintwork which don't like to shift.

Would this Flash system prevent these water spots from forming?
Can you use your own shampoo in it first, then the Flash AutoDry?

Cheers,

Neil.

Sorry mate I have no idea but I'm interested in seeing any reviews on the Flash Car Wash.

Anyone used it yet?

I've read some reviews which say that it is excellent!

haven't tried it myself mind you.

Have read loads of threads on other forums, and the consensous is that it's great!
No idea if you can use your own shampoo, but I don't see why not (unless it comes in cartridges) but the main reason I'm going to buy it is the filtered water.

Neil, I think it would solve your problem. Although, I'm under the impression that the filters don't last as long, the harder the water.

Hope this helps

In my opinion this is absolute garbage. You require a bucket of water, unless you prefer to just rub the soap into the paintwork, so I don't see the point. Also the origional kit will only do about three wash's. As for the drying I am convinsed that a rinse would have the same effect. I got my Brother to give it a try and he was of the same opinion. It might be the water up here (Soft) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif but I will be returning mine to the manufacturer.

I think Flash should stick to Industrial Floor Cleaning products, cant beat the olde wash n wax!!

I've tried this (on a black car - not mine) now and can say that it works very well indeed.

Didn't use their shampoo, just used it with the filters for rinsing. No spots/streaks/marks whatsoever - the perfect lazy option!

If you're in a soft water area I wouldn't bother but living near the south downs there's so much chalk in the water it's unreal.

Cheers,
Adam

I have this product and I have been very impressed with the results, all you need to wash your car is a sponge and the flash system, simple as that. The shampoo that comes supplied is ok and does the job, the dry rinse system is great, no more streaking. As some of you have said I dont think it will be a problem if you want to use your own shampoo, replacement shampoo and dry rinse cartridges can be purchased from Halfords £3.99 for shampoo and £4.99 for the filter (10 car washes).
I would recommend this product, it does exactly what it says on the box.

Went and purchased this today for £19.99 at Halfords and am very impressed with the results.

Washed my car, helped my sister, dad and my lady do hers, all in less time than I would
normally take to do mine with a chamois.

You need to use the flah shampoo with the filter to get the best autodry result.
Also need to use a rinse bucket aswell to keep the sponge clean.

If you have a dark coloured car and are not blessed with soft water, get one!

Cheers for the advice above guys,

Neil.

I'm a lazy b*rst*rd so anything that helps me wash three cars is useful. Since my wife "doesn't do cars" I bought a Flash Car Wash and tried it yesterday on one of my TDIs, the 179,000 miler that gets washed when it rains and is polished once a year.
When washed by the traditional hose, sponge, rinse and chamois method (I have one car that is washed more often) paintwork is left with streaks and drying marks. With the FCW there are absolutely none, it really works and I'd recommend it it purely for the time saved in leathering down, especially on cars with awkward to get at places.
On a scale of 0 to 10 I'd give it 8. I'd give it more if it didn't look like something nicked from a kid's playgroup.

Auto Glym........ nuff said. If the car is washed correctly, no streaks. I know it may be difficult to "not wash it correctly", however when I do mine, I do panel by panel (Roof - wash, then dry, Bonnet / Front bumper - wash then dry, OSF wing / driver door - wash then dry etc. etc.) - This way, no streaks.
The main Auto glym products used are the shampoo, polish and extra gloss protection. I know it's expensive but it really is a quality product.... And if done reasonably often, the shine really does last and come through, even with a mucky car (if this makes sense !!)

Did the other TDI with the FCW last night, came up a treat - car 'sparkles'.
Polishing? Not me, don't see the point. If it's clean, it's clean; that's good enough for me. Spending hours polishing acres of painted metal seems a bit of a waste of a life - it won't get you to Sainsbury quicker, cheaper, safer, faster.
I also have a 1954 Riley which I do polish, twice a year to protect the paintwork against bird poo, tree sap etc. but the Audis are lacquered and glavanised, they have to take their chance out side in all weathers.

[ QUOTE ]
Auto Glym........ nuff said. If the car is washed correctly, no streaks. I know it may be difficult to "not wash it correctly", however when I do mine, I do panel by panel (Roof - wash, then dry, Bonnet / Front bumper - wash then dry, OSF wing / driver door - wash then dry etc. etc.) - This way, no streaks.
The main Auto glym products used are the shampoo, polish and extra gloss protection. I know it's expensive but it really is a quality product.... And if done reasonably often, the shine really does last and come through, even with a mucky car (if this makes sense !!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Autoglym is 'ok' for an off the shelf product. When you run low try something like Meguairs and I think you'll notice the difference.

..go easy on the polish - it's a mild cutting agent. The extra gloss stuff is good though - doesn't last long in crap weather though.

Adam

i gave my car a darn good polish with auto glymm super resin and then put 2 coats of super gloss on with an hour to 2 hours to dry inbetween. looks brilliant!!! it is sooooo shiny even though it is covered in road film now!
think the flash will work out expensive in long run!

[ QUOTE ]
....think the flash will work out expensive in long run!

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I asked if anyone had used it with a different shampoo.

I had a look at the Flash Car Wash and I really don't like the look of it. How many people wash there cars with flash??? Since I was introduce to Meguiars I have not touched anything else.

West coast customs (aka Pimp my ride team) swear buy the FCW system and give them away with every car!

ive ordered mine from www.speeding.co.uk with free delivery should arrive mon, ill give it a shot with other shampoo first and let you know what it is like!

[ QUOTE ]
i gave my car a darn good polish with auto glymm super resin and then put 2 coats of super gloss on with an hour to 2 hours to dry inbetween. looks brilliant!!! it is sooooo shiny even though it is covered in road film now!
think the flash will work out expensive in long run!

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutley AJ - just what I do - 2 coats of super gloss......... and the shine does seem to still come through with road film on it and still provides the water beading effect for a long time......

Just got one yesterday. Not tried it yet though. I'll probably take it on holiday with me, so I can clean the car & take some great pics of it in the sunset at Ettrick Bay, on the Isle of Bute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just got one yesterday. Not tried it yet though. I'll probably take it on holiday with me.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not supposed to do manual labour on holiday! Other than lifting pints of course!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

yes my freinds, if its good enough for the dudes at west coast customs (pimp my ride) then it cant be bad.
i dont mind a bit of hard work, and prefer the chamois dry shine myself, although i would give the flash thangy a go.
if you issue is hard water/lime, then forget any filters in the flash doobry whatsit.... fit an inline hardwater lime filter to you outside/garage tap. its a ten minute job and their not dear at all.
o.k im a plumber so its easy for me to say, but really, ten mins. turn off main cold water supply, open said tap till water stops coming out.... find a section in the pipe feeding the tap big enough to accomadate the filter.... chop out the appropriate length or pipe, fit the filter, tighten nuts and turn water back on.
that simple.
ten mins, no more streaky cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

myzeneye - can these filters be added to a hose pipe? - IE even if i add it to a length of copper tube and then put this in the middle of the hose?

i suppose you could fit it an inline hard water filter inline into your hose, but you'll want to keep it stable and not drag it round with the hose..... maybe fit it right at the tap end of the hose. i presume you'll be using a regular hose with a connection onto your kitchen tap......
i would make up a hose starting with your tap connection, then give it about 1 meter of hose pipe, cut the hose and put the end in a jar of boiling water for 2-3 mins...this will make it easier to fit over copper tube..... get a peice of 15mm copper tube about 6" long and insert it about 3" into the warmed up end of the hose pipe. clamp it on using 1 or two jubilee clips. the other 3" of copper left sticking out the hose pipe can be inserted into the filter ( note the direction of flow marked on the filter) . the filter should have a 15mm nut and olive compression type of joint so just push the copper right in and tighten the nut. do the same on the other end of the filter only this time, fit the long length of hose pipe.
make sure all the nuts and jubilee clips are good and tight.
finaly, i would coil up the first 2 meters of hose, which include the filter and neatly cable tie it into a gentle coil. this coil can safley sit in your sink, avoiding any knocks, snags or undue stresses.

i dont see why this wont work. obviously, it will impair the pressure of the water, but only a little. the filters are cheap, maybe a ten or 20 quid ( i dont know exactly, i dont pay for them i just fit them...).from any plumb center or plumbers merchants.... it should last a very long time.

we dont have hard water were i live, so i wont be needing to do this myself..... so let me know how you get on with it.

[ QUOTE ]
I produce gallons of RO (reverse osmosis) water for my marine fish tank. This water is absolutely pure. I wonder if rinsing the car in this after would produce the same results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Medicineman, i have a Kent marine RO system with a de-ionizer chamber fitted also, mine produces waste water and small amount of pure water. I have used this pure water to rinse the car off, by filling up a couple of buckets then pouring it over. But to be honest, found the results no different and reverted back to my trusty hose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Tdi line, your a plumber if i remember rightly, give the chaps a second opinion here..... the inline filter hose pipe contraption should work no problems , right.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Thing is, officially i am not "allowed" to wash my car in the car park... and I am definately not allowed to make any changes to the apartments plumbing... so i might try the in line thing... but i have to speak to my car park neighbours and strike up a deal with them.....

right on tdi......power to the plumbers. hey maybe i should patent this idea.... sshhhh.... mums the word.

outlore.... neighbours...**** em'..... if they get bitchy... turn you new fangled techno hose on their asses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

thats it.....you all know too much already.....now i have to hunt down and eliminate you all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif