Flashing glow plug light and no accellerator!!

blucoop

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 54 plate 1.9 tdi 130 and three weeks ago i was driving home from work when out of the blue the glow plug light started flashing on the dash, and i lost all accelleration. The engine continued to run fine so i could limp it off the main road and then towed it back to my mates workshop.

After a load of research and also speaking with a guy at VW we ran diagnostics on it (snap on not vagcom), and got some error codes for the Throttle position sensor. we then did a load more research before ordering a new peddle assembly complete with the sensor and fitted it the next day.

I thought the problem was solved and all was good up until yesterday when the poxy thing done it again, exactly the same flashing light and no accellerator.

I turned the engine off whilst rolling , then back on again and it cleared for another few minutes before doing it again, and managed to get it home by repeating this process.

The car then drove fine today on the 30 mile trip to work, no problems at all????

Ive now been googling and searching this forum which in turn made me think it may be water in the plenum chamber so ive spent the best part of two hours checking that only to find its bone dry and theres no blockages.

Therefore I am now stumped, my mate with the diagnostic machine is away for 3 weeks so i am unable to scan it again, although i would assume it would be the same error codes.

Has any one got any ideas before i bite the bullet and book it in at Audi??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

New pedal normally solves this problem tbh, think u must have another fault on it , Was it a brand new genuine pedal assembly you fitted? slim chance of a faulty part but really need to see what fault code you have and what number it is. I would suspect it may have a wiring fault from pedal to ecu. Have you had a look at the wiring to the pedal for any damage , and the connector to the pedal?

i had this problem i had a 777 error it was the accellerator pedal replaced the pedel and it went again pedel got replaced at aud'is cost

cheers for the replies,

yes it was genuine audi part so would doubt it would be another failure on that front, guess i'll have to wait for my mate to get back with the diagnostic machine.!

SPORT180 how long was it between the fitting the new pedal and it failing again??

cheers

steve

also noticed over last couple of days that every once in a while when driving the car will skip a beat , ie lose power for a split second and then go back to normal, i assume this is related?? does this indicate that the new pedal from audi could be faulty??

cheers

steve

also noticed over last couple of days that every once in a while when driving the car will skip a beat , ie lose power for a split second and then go back to normal, i assume this is related?? does this indicate that the new pedal from audi could be faulty??

cheers

steve
Mine did this twice around christmas and had to be towed home.Fault was water in the plenum chamber,approx 1 gallon.Cleaned all electrical connections and dried out sound proofing in drivers footwell behind the pedals.Also removed a large grommet from plenum chamber to allow for better drainage.Did not have to buy new pedal sensor,seems ok at the moment.

yeah i took the battery out yesterday and it was bone dry underneath. I was kind of hoping it was that so at least i knew what is wrong but still none the wiser. gonna have to get someone to have a look at the wiring from pedal to ecu as thats way beyond my capabilities!!!

cheers

steve

ah....... on the o/s of the plenum chamber theres a black plastic box that houses the engine ecu. undo the 8mm headed bolts (one at the back is an **** to get too), remove the top.
undo the clip holding the ecu in the box. at the back is where the engine loom plugs into the body looms. theres around 5 separate coloured plugs. unplug all of these and check for any signs of dampness/corrosion.

i bet there is!

thanks murran ill do that , just gotta motivate myself to take the poxy battery out again, what a mission,!!!

cheers

steve

murran youre a star, i just opened the ecu box/cover thing and although there was no water in there there was a damp patch right at the back and the plsatic had perished and the rubber seal was all loose....

im guessing (hoping) this could be the problem,??

on the box it has the numbers 8E2 967 613D can anyone confirm this is the correct part and also whether i need just the top half or top and bottom.

also is it worth me giving the plugs to ecu a spray with anything while replacing it or just leave them alone to dry??

cheers

steve

Yes this could be your problem, as im sure there is a big open hole that goes to the pedal area if you look through the box, this seal needs to be 100% or damp can get in and cause prob with the electrics, some wd40 wont do any harm on the plugs going through the box , id personally leave the ecu plugs alone unless there is visable damp in there.

you need to pull the plugs apart that go thru the hole at the back of the box into the car and check them for corrosion, your looking for any white/green dusty discolouration. the plugs are colour coded and you cant mix them up.
the signal and power wires from/to the accelarator pedal sensor go thru these plugs to/from the engine loom and ecu. any resistance caused by corrosion will upset its operation.

had a very similar problem on a '99 a6 2.5 tdi a few months ago, had an intermittent (but frequent) oil level sensor fault warning coming up on the dash. had signs of moisture in the box but no actual wetness as such. on separating the plugs at the back, one of the plugs at the back was partly corroded, on checking the wire colours these were for the level sensor.
cleaned it out with rattle can of electrical contact cleaner and blew it out with an airline. spray of wd40 in the plug and it hasnt been back yet..... if it does we'll fit and solder in new terminals in the effected plug.

not thread jacking but i have the same happen today, no moisture wiring looks ok, etc i have contacted ross-tech so i will post reply.
i had these faults.......

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-019-AVF.lbl
Part No: 038 906 019 LJ
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 4910
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 63251
VCID: 6ADE57421664C94
WAUZZZ8EX4A AUZ6Z0C0290973

2 Faults Found:
17994 - Engine Mount Solenoid Valves (N144/N145)
P1586 - 35-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
18047 - Accelerator Position Sensor 1/2 (G79/G185)
P1639 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8E0-614-517.lbl
Part No: 8E0 614 517
Component: ABS/ESP front 3429
Coding: 04255
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: E5C4A47E7F7A66C

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
79-00 - Please Check Fault Codes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
any pointers will be great,
Ta in advance

I also have this problem. The plenum chamber mod has been done. I haven't had the coloured plugs out yet but, on checking the throtle switch, I found the plug was drowned in water and, there is water seeping out of the switch housing.

I will be removing it tomorrow for inspection/cleaning. I will also take a look at the coloured plugs and try to make the 'hole' waterproof. Anyone got any good ideas for the waterproofing?

brand new ecu box with all fixings etc was only £55 from stoke audi on this forum, fitting mine at the weekend whilst cleaning all plugs thoroughly!!

mememe where is the throttle switch plug may i ask??

cheers

steve

The throttle switch is attached to the pedal and the plug is on the top. Can be quite akward to get to see it clearly. There are two little lugs which you need to gently squeeze in, to get the plug off.

Checking elsawin, you need to remove 3 cap head screws to remove the switch itself (tho I haven't done mine yet).

thats correct 3 cap head bolts bout half hour job with a bit of cleaning the only downside is the other 2 pedals look s**t next to the shine new 1 !!!!!!!

yes murran you were spot on with what you said , just came across this thread trying to help someone else with same problem!

100% fixed my issue cheers!!

This is the same issues I am having with my Quattro S-Line on an 07 plate. Runs fantastic most of the time, apart from when it is wet or has been over night. It has been into Audi 11 times, the last time they told me I was imagining it!!!! despite having been transported there by the RAC.
I was starting to wonder if they were correct. The last time the chap from the RAC advised me to look on this web site, looks like I could have found the solution. Will get the Plenum chamber checked..... Thank you

not thread jacking but i have the same happen today, no moisture wiring looks ok, etc i have contacted ross-tech so i will post reply.
i had these faults.......

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-019-AVF.lbl
Part No: 038 906 019 LJ
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 4910
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 63251
VCID: 6ADE57421664C94
WAUZZZ8EX4A AUZ6Z0C0290973

2 Faults Found:
17994 - Engine Mount Solenoid Valves (N144/N145)
P1586 - 35-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
18047 - Accelerator Position Sensor 1/2 (G79/G185)
P1639 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8E0-614-517.lbl
Part No: 8E0 614 517
Component: ABS/ESP front 3429
Coding: 04255
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: E5C4A47E7F7A66C

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
79-00 - Please Check Fault Codes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
any pointers will be great,
Ta in advance
Hi mate wondering if you could help me out i have a 2.0 bkd with fault codes reference a voltage low intermittent and the throttle pedal goes unresponsive but the car stays at normal tick over when this happens i have replace throttle pedal with genuine part and no change wiring has been checked from ecu and for chaffing on the block and all seems ok any ideas would be much appriciated thanks.