Flat Bottom Steering Wheel.

Stuart Taylor

Reaction score
Hello.
Can anyone help please.
I drive an Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDi S Line 2007 Saloon which is fitted with a plain ugly steering wheel with stereo control buttons.
However, I want to change it to a Flat bottom steering wheel which apparently came off an Audi A3 8P car.
The questions are, I’m trying to find a Flat Bottom Airbag to fit. Does any one know the part number for the Airbag and which place is the best to find one. Also with regards to the wiring for the Airbag What is required to allow the Airbag to function correctly.
Thank you in advance.
Stuart.

Hello.
Can anyone help please.
I drive an Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDi S Line 2007 Saloon which is fitted with a plain ugly steering wheel with stereo control buttons.
However, I want to change it to a Flat bottom steering wheel which apparently came off an Audi A3 8P car.
The questions are, I’m trying to find a Flat Bottom Airbag to fit. Does any one know the part number for the Airbag and which place is the best to find one. Also with regards to the wiring for the Airbag What is required to allow the Airbag to function correctly.
Thank you in advance.
Stuart.

For a saloon it is pretty much plug and play. The airbag you need is 8J0880201 (the last letter from my research doesn't seem to matter). You do need to make a few wiring changes (3) if using your existing harness, or you can use 8J0971589B or 8J0971589H - which are both plug and play.

eBay is your best bet for parts, though the airbags go for crazy money.

Hi Stuart,

They're basically a straight swap if you find the right airbag.

I've a FBSW in the classified I would do a good deal on and can let you know the airbag part number

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/fbsw.417895/

Hello tr7,

Please could you advise the airbag part number and also the wiring part number of the loom that plugs in to the air bag. I have tried looking on eBay but to be honest I’ve been like a dog chasing it own tail with the various airbags, looms and part numbers all over the shop that my head hurts. The correct part number for both the airbag and loom would pinpoint the correct items I’m looking for. Also, if you provide a few pictures of both items I would be most grateful indeed.
I’ll leave it with you.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Stuart.

Hi Stuart I haven't had time to take my steering wheel off, and it's absolutely lashing it down.

When I do I'll take some photos

Hi Stuart I haven't had time to take my steering wheel off, and it's absolutely lashing it down.

When I do I'll take some photos
No rush at all. It’s the same up in Aberdeen, the rain has never stopped along with the wind. It’s blowing a gale. It’s what most people think about when you mention you stay there. They just look at you as if your mad.
All the best and take care tr7.

Regards,
Stuart.

Hello Tr7,

It’s been a while but did you manage to remove the flat bottom steering wheel from your car and also take pictures?

Sorry to pester you, it just that I’m stuck on the correct airbag to fit my wheel.

thank you in advance,

Stuart.

Hello.
Thank you in advance.

Stuart.
Usually a head on crash will do it lol!
I know what you mean about ugly wheel, I have one in my A4 and trying to find a decent price replacement by the time an airbag is sourced it gets expensive...

Hello Tr7,

It’s been a while but did you manage to remove the flat bottom steering wheel from your car and also take pictures?

Sorry to pester you, it just that I’m stuck on the correct airbag to fit my wheel.

thank you in advance,

Stuart.
Send @NHN a pm as he has the knowledge on these things, and what fits what.

Usually a head on crash will do it lol!
I know what you mean about ugly wheel, I have one in my A4 and trying to find a decent price replacement by the time an airbag is sourced it gets expensive...
Yes it does get expensive. Just finding the right air bag is the difficult part as their are so many variations. I’ll bear the head on crash in mind for when I get irate and bored one day.

It's an audi so expensive is part of life with owning one.:yes:

I haven't removed the wheel yet. Feel free to buy it

Hello tr7,
Sorry to ask the question but did you manage to remove the steering wheel to get the airbag part number?
Have a great weekend.
Best regards,
Stuart.

Hello TR7, did you manage to remove the steering wheel to get the air bag part number as right now I’m really stuck and keep getting conflicting information on which air bag fits the wheel. I’m really at a loss now and the steering wheel is sitting to one side laughing at me now.

I’ve got a FBMFSW from a 2008 S3 on my car and it was plug and play.

I need to remove it to adjust it slightly as it’s not quite sitting right. While it’s off I’ll take a pic of the airbag part number for you, if it’s on there

I've just downloaded a guide about retrofitting one of those wheels if thats anygood to you?

Reactions: KurtD80
I've just downloaded a guide about retrofitting one of those wheels if thats anygood to you?

Hello Dan,

Sorry for the delay in in replying.
Yes the guide would be very helpful indeed an I would greatly appreciate if you could forward a copy for myself to read up on.

Again, thank you in advance.

best regards,

Stuart.

Hello Dan,

Sorry for the delay in in replying.
Yes the guide would be very helpful indeed an I would greatly appreciate if you could forward a copy for myself to read up on.

Again, thank you in advance.

best regards,

Stuart.

Hi Stuart. Drop me a PM

Cheers Alex

Did you find the right part number?

I’ve got a FBMFSW from a 2008 S3 on my car and it was plug and play.

I need to remove it to adjust it slightly as it’s not quite sitting right. While it’s off I’ll take a pic of the airbag part number for you, if it’s on there
Hello,

I know it’s been a while since your post but did you by chance take a picture of the airbags when you removed the wheel.

Photo 2021 06 13 140449
Photo 2021 06 13 140451

Photo 2021 06 13 140455

Could you send me the guide Alex? I’ve got the wheel, bag & 2 looms ready. Just don’t want to blow a £220 airbag up going at it blind.
Is I right you just need to relocate 3 wires on the loom plug?