Flat bottomed MFSW for S3

djhindley

Reaction score
I have a 2007 S3 fitted with the standard steering wheel. I am looking at getting my dealer to retrofit the flat bottomed MFSW. The initial advice is that this is possible to do, but the dealer is not sure if I would need to have a new airbag as well (very expensive).
Has anyone done this retrofit and if so do you know whether the existing airbag will transplant into the new steering wheel? Thanks.

I'm sure you need a new airbag. JamS3 has looked into this, rather expensive!!

I asked my local dealer about this.

1st reply - its not possible to fit a MFSW to your car sir, you dont have a MFSW.

2nd reply - yes we can do it, £250 for the flat bottomed wheel, another £500 for the airbag which is different, or you can ride around with no airbag but we dont recommend this!

Too expensive for me to bother!

cooky

what about fitting the standard MFSW is it the function or the style you are after.

The normal MFSW does not need an airbag change.

thebears said:
what about fitting the standard MFSW is it the function or the style you are after.

The normal MFSW does not need an airbag change.

Thats correct but the FBMFSW does look better I think! I'm searching for a MKII TT flat-bottom wheel to fit to mine, looks even smarter I think. But not cheap due to the new airbag required, I am searching German ebay for one!

Issac Hunt said:
Thats correct but the FBMFSW does look better I think! I'm searching for a MKII TT flat-bottom wheel to fit to mine, looks even smarter I think. But not cheap due to the new airbag required, I am searching German ebay for one!

The FBW does look better and was a must for me but have to admit its not the most comfortable/tactile when pressing on - I guess Steering wheels are 'round' for a reason, but I'd still order it again. Good luck ...

Yes new airbag req and possibly control unit for it depending what ecu the car has, the cost as mentioned above is stupid just to change a steering wheel.

The wheel cost is livable but the airbag cost is daft!

Plus the multi function controls may not work as the wiring loom will not be fitted to a car out the factory without the multi function wheel as standard so after labour costs a £1000 bill for just a different looking steering wheel with no functions is crazy!

Spend your money on some decent upgrades.....remap, suspension, ARB's etc.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it is going to be too expesive, particularly if I don't gain the multifunction. I should have specified it from new.....next time!

mitch78 said:
How can the TT wheel look even smarter? It's EXACTLY the same wheel as in the S3 (except for the S3 badge of course).

So its not "EXACTLY" the same then is it? I dont want an 'S3' badge in my A4. The TT version I am purchasing is also trimmed in Alcantara.

JamS3 said:
Yes new airbag req and possibly control unit for it depending what ecu the car has, the cost as mentioned above is stupid just to change a steering wheel.

The wheel cost is livable but the airbag cost is daft!

Plus the multi function controls may not work as the wiring loom will not be fitted to a car out the factory without the multi function wheel as standard so after labour costs a £1000 bill for just a different looking steering wheel with no functions is crazy!

Spend your money on some decent upgrades.....remap, suspension, ARB's etc.

No wiring loom required for upgrade to MFSW, The function signals for the buttons are passed via CAN.

Issac Hunt said:
No wiring loom required for upgrade to MFSW, The function signals for the buttons are passed via CAN.

It will be a right carry on tapping into these though and a definate invalid warranty should things go wrong as you will be splicing into the cars wiring loom!

I had all this hassle when I retrofitted a RNS-D sat nav to my 8L S3, not worth i for a different steering wheel....

From the Ross-Tech website...

CAN stands for Controller Area Network. CAN is a new means of communicating with the car for diagnostics used by the latest generations of VW, Audi, SEAT, and Skoda vehicles. Unlike the older ISO9141 system which used a single K-line for diagnostic communications, the new CAN-Bus system uses a twisted pair of wires with differential signaling. CAN is considerably faster than ISO-9141 (500 kpbs vs. 10.4 kbps). Both new hardware and new software are required in order to communicate with cars using CAN for diagnostics.

As you have to replace the steering wheel ECU, I guess this is already connected to the CAN.

JohnS3 said:
As you have to replace the steering wheel ECU, I guess this is already connected to the CAN.

Correct, no splicing of any wires is required. It's a simple plug 'N play job follwed by a re-code with VAG-COM to tell the car that the MFSW is present.

You dont always need a replacement steering ECU either, especially if cruise control is already fitted to the car.

Issac Hunt said:

I bought a FB TT wheel from german ebay, although with delivery and 2 week wait would have been as well to buy from a UK breaker. Just need to find someone to fit it now :)

I seem to recall seeing the wheel badges somewhere recently. Just can't think where, although it's probably ebay.

Do it Jamie, you know you want to!

Have you thought of sending Married blonde a PM ?

He can source the pedals etc cheaper than anywhere else so maybe he could help out ?

Does anyone know for sure if the TT airbag will work/compatible with the S3?

Cant get any definitive answers from Audi....

All the fronts of the steering wheels even from the A8 cars look the same size but have different part numbers..

JamS3 said:
Does anyone know for sure if the TT airbag will work/compatible with the S3?

The airbag from the Mk II TT will be fine in an 8P S3.