FMIC fitted :)

Right car friends we have an official FMIC update :)

The new cooler arrived late last week and it was mahoosive! So I have tackled the installation over the weekend so time to show and tell....

First off bumper removed to show the old small FMIC setup I had on the car

So whipped off the old cooler and took a couple of pics to show size difference

Now lined up new cooler with the pipework

In order to put the crash bar back on it had to be adjusted using and angle grinder.....

Made up some spacers for the FMIC to sit at the right height

Trimmed a couple of hoses to suit the new outlet placement and plumbed it in

At this point I made sure it was all running correctly and went for a quick blast which proved no leaks.

Now was the moment of truth time to re fit the bumper. It wasn't easy but I got it on and here is the results....

As you can see I have managed to retain both the fog lights and grills for the OEM look which is what I was after so I am very pleased with my hard work/results.

Gonna do some logging at some point this week and see how much improved my EGT`s are with the new cooler on as hopefully it should solve the issue highlighted when I went to B5 for my stage 2 software.

Rob

Reactions: jitvv, Adam P, <tuffty/> and 1 other person
awesome, I'm still surprised it fit with the silicone outlets on it.
No wonder the old one wasn't adequate, it can't be much more in surface area than the stock smic's

awesome, I'm still surprised it fit with the silicone outlets on it.
No wonder the old one wasn't adequate, it can't be much more in surface area than the stock smic's

Cheers SK :)

Yeah the old cooler looks like a toy compared to the new one!

I trimmed as much plastic as I could so that the cooler sits as flat as possible to the rad behind. This allowed me to get the outlets as far back as possible and of course them being 2.5" means they were the same diameter as the old cooler.

Its still tight but its doable. I am gonna go back and revisit it again as I am gonna get hold of a set of S3dave`s FMIC brackets to replace my spacer setup as I think this will allow the bumper to fit even better.

Reactions: kwistof
Nice! That old cooler was tiny! This will be adequate for stg2, lambda now?

Nice! That old cooler was tiny! This will be adequate for stg2, lambda now?

Yeah I know lol, yeah its should be good for more than stage 2 but of course I need to do some logging to show the improvement.

I then should be able to tell if the Pre Cat Lambda is faulty as holding off as long as poss as don't wanna buy one if I don't have to as they arnt cheap!

Looking good Rob! Its great you have made it fit behind the bumper whilst still retaining the fogs and grill. Looking forward to seing the logging results. Keep up the good work. :icon_thumright:

Reactions: vrbob
Logging is next on my to do list once I find my private road for some third gear runs :)

Reactions: jitvv and Adam P
So just to keep my FMIC thread tidy I will finish it off.

First off I have done some logging which is posted here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/215560-badger-5-results-inside.html but basically the new uber large cooler keeps my AIT`s about 10-15 degrees above the ambient outside temp which is a vast improvement on the old small cooler.

The only issue was that my bumper wasn't sitting perfectly especially around the headlights and it was a bit of a biatch to get on as something was stopping it sitting correctly. I decided that it must be the mounts I made to mount the cooler to the crash bar. I managed to get a set of FMIC brackets courtesy of S3Dave on here.

Now they didn't fit as easily as I hoped they might but I managed to get them on and mounted the cooler again I also raised the cooler a couple of cm too as I think my previous setup was too low.

The bumper now goes back on much easier and sits a lot better too so I am much happier with how it looks too.

So here a couple of pics first off this is the cooler fitted using the new mounts

And now with the bumper back on and looking quite OEM I think :)

So it defo can be done as this is a welly cooler (with 63mm outlets) fitted using silicone hoses and keeping the foglights and grills

Rob

Reactions: jaykay8L, russwuss and <tuffty/>
Hi vrbob,

Looking to go down the same FMIC route as you. Please could you confirm the pipework you used for the larger cooler?

Is it the same as Post 36 ?

Many thanks.

Hi vrbob,

Looking to go down the same FMIC route as you. Please could you confirm the pipework you used for the larger cooler?

Is it the same as Post 36 ?

Many thanks.

Yes mate all that pipework stayed the same when I switched FMIC cores as they both had 63mm outlets. the only thing I had to do was trim the pipes connecting to the new wellycooler down as of course its much wider than the old small cooler.

Reactions: vanilla_ice
I went with the one from darkside (link above) in the end. I'm sure I read somewhere on here that Bill (badger5) rated bar and plate over tube and fin.

I`ve got some pics of the install that I can put up. It gets very tight behind the bumper!

Made a nice improvement to my stage 1 AMK. Pulls stronger in the mid range upwards and no heat soak.

Ok thanks, the dark side one is 780mm long whereas the txauto one is 690mm long do you think it would be easier to keep the fogs with the shorter one?

Not sure to be honest. I think you would need more pipework to get round the radiator.

I kept the fogs with my cooler although the fog light grilles are being pushed forward by the silicone pipes coming off the fmic.

I may consider having alloy 90 degree bends welded on to cooler to avoid this. It would also mean less needs to be trimmed off the back of the bumper in order to re-fit.

If you are going down the DIY route be prepared to cut / grind back a reasonable amount of slam panel and bumper.

I'll try and get some pics up in the next couple of days.