fmic fitting help?

:banghead:well stripped it down today and not impressed at all, the fmic off ebay was listed for an a3 1.8t quattro so am i right in thinking there should have been instructions ? am i also right in thinking all the pipes should have been designed to fit the car?

i started at 10am and have just packed up still incomplete, need to trim the bumper more at the back and need to secure the piping properly after having cut and shut half of them to make use of them!

not impressed at all and i will be leaving bad feedback for him, i have emailed him since sunday and not a single reply

anyway heres what ive managed to do in 7 hours please bear in mind i can take an engine from a car and fit it and have it running in 7 ****** hours but this...... aaaarghh:keule::keule:!!

21012009278.jpg

21012009279.jpg

21012009281.jpg

21012009282.jpg

21012009283.jpg

21012009284.jpg

21012009285.jpg

i think its going be a long day finishing it tomorrow

I would be surprised if it did come with instructions as it's off the bay it's probably some chap in his garage with a load of universal cores and put a rough idea of the pipe work together and selling to make a profit!

The cooler looks a bit small too in my eyes but it depends on how much power & boost you plan on running..

its only 215bhp and its twice the size of the standard cooler so i should be ok i think, its actually from turborevs they are a proper motorsport shop on the net but yeh i agree either some guy or a bunch of immigrants on £1.50 ph nocking the kits up, will see how it goes tomorrow

that ki looks half decent compared to the one my mate brought off ebay for his toyota gt4 that was terrible we had to make our own pipes up the hoses didnt even fit over the pipes they had supplied, best of buying the cooler then find out what pipes you need then order them seperatly, these vehicle specific cooler seem crap,

Sholud look good once done though mate looks nice in there behind the bumper

I thought you had to run the new intercooler pipes over the engine past the battery and down doing away with the original pipes that run down the back of the engine??

Is yours the type like the old Neuspeed pipe kit?

not a clue mate but they didnt fit anywhere basically had to chop most of the piping to make it fit, and yeh hopefully when ive finished it will be snug as a bug ;) will keep you updated on what does my head in tomorrow!

oh does anyone know if the sensor i took off the old cooler has to go on the new cooler or can i put it on a pipe that comes off it? cheers guys

Seems like a case of 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to ease of fitting!

As for the sensor...isn't that the MAP sensor you are referring to?
If so...you can fit it pretty much anywhere.

oh dear sweet lord.....

I hate to break this to you mate, but you've just ruined a perfectly good kit! You've got the pipe routing totally wrong.

I've got exactly the same kit on my A3, and it fits perfectly, every single pipe, without needing to cut a single thing.

The first pipe with the DV takeoff comes upwards off the turbo, and then curves towards the passnegers side, before turning to come forward.

the pipe you have butchered with the bent down tab then goes down past the starter motor, then the pipe onto the FMIC hotside which you've also cut up meets it perfectly just in front of the starter.

The whole original charge pipe over the turbo goes totally, as does the pancake pipe.

Sorry to break the bad news mate! fair play for getting the pipes so close considering they're on the wrong side of the engine completely!

I'll take some pics of my routing with the same kit tomorow for you. You can probably get the cuts back together by just putting a few more couplers in.

I thought that was the case.
At least you didn't pull out the injectors thinking they were spark plugs like someone on here once did...........god bless him.

MAP sensor can go anywhere in the boost tract. Easiest place is in the pipework. Not being funny, but I wouldn't want you drilling into the cooler. Ideally you should weld in a boss (surprised it didn't have this already). I have seen a JB welded one which is still working.............but that's proper cowboy. I mentioned yesterday you should have got the MAP location decided before starting.

Hope you get it sorted.

here my routing:

pipework1ut7.jpg

pipework2bn9.jpg

frontpb5.jpg

That's exactly the same kit as yours, although I've since swapped all the cheap blue couplers for decent 5 ply items from siliconhoses.com

i wish you had said this before i started doing it lol, oh well im sure if it comes to it i can re-do the piping and get somebody alloy weld it up, will see how it goes when its all done if its ok il tidy it up and leave as is if not it gets repaired!

thanks for the info dude ;)

Prawn have you got one of those air filters down on the front bumper

I sure have! and until last night, I was fairly keen on it....

I've used it before with an oiled type cone filter on for a year, and it was absolutely fine, although last Jan I changed back to a smoothed airbox with a green cotton filter.

I recently decided I fancied a bit more noise, so put the cold air induction kit back on, but this time using an apexi powerfilter, which is like a K&N cone filter, but totally dry in construction with no oil, so it doesn't damage the MAF.

All has been fine for a few months, until last night, driving in torrential rain, I started getting a chronic misfire at high RPMS's, but it was only intermittent, and seemed to be dependant on rain intensity at the time.

You pays your money, you takes your choice! (said in an american gangster accent)

well guys its done and suffering no problems, even got the engine plastics back on, took it for a good thrashing and its just boost boost boost ;) even when its at 90 degrees where we were lacking boost, definatly makes a difference lets see how long it lasts, had to cut a bit more of the bumper to fit the pipes but i reckon it looks ok, also fitted our new indicators

opinions welcome ....

orignally it looked like this......

audiinterstrack.jpg

and now.......

22012009291.jpg

22012009290.jpg

22012009289.jpg

yeh i think that, only bought them because the local main audi stealer wanted £30 for 1 side and got these off ebay as a pair for £17 including postage, they fit pretty flush too, not impressed with how the pipes stick out the bumper tho, had to cut quite a bit out to get them fit properly and still beable use the towing eye if ever needed

glad you've got it working mate!

Did you redo the pipe work so it's i the correct place now? or is it still following that crazy long run around the original route? did you sort out your MAP sensor? or was it the N75 you were referring to?

Also, try and get the core sitting straight! It all looks a little wonky!

ayup, no its still runinng crazy but its doing its job, i asked the missus if she wanted it like yours and she said leave it as its fine where it is, not hangine down or anything and fitted the sensor onto the alloy pipe on the left of the car, just wish id seen your post before i started would have saved me a fukll day in total i reckon! oh well maybe if it doesnt last il buy the piping again! who knows..... ;) and it wont go straight because of the towing eye but when the bumper goes in for respray it will be sanded anough to get it perfectly straight both ends...

I know what you mean about the towing eye! Mine wouldn't sit straight either and my standard bumper wouldn't alloy me to drop the core a bit lower to level it out, so I made my own justice, and took an angle grinder to the towing eye. It's of no use to me anyway!

lol until 1 day! u never know! i wouldnt dare take our off as it would be my luck to need it like a few days after! mind u suppose youve always got the rear one! lol maybe i could hammer the pipe a bit till its clear then it will fit straight?? hehe

well, having driven a mini for several years, with no possible way of attaching a rigid tow bar to the front, I've always been very strict with breakdown people, insisting that a flat bed truck is sent straight away, and telling them the car is not possible to tow at all.

it suits me fine, I don't want to sit in it behind an AA truck on a rigid bar, I'd much rather be in the cab of a low loader nice and warm

true true anyway here a couple of vids i did earlier tonight boosting about, definatly running right now..... sorry about the quality its pretty crap but you can certainly see she flies especially when the new s line tries go after the missus! doesnt stand a chance... lol....

Glad you got it sorted.

Can't wait to get my new pipework and new intercooler on. I've gone for a slightly different route to the norm thanks to some custom pipes from h100vw (gavin on here). May his old A3 rest in peace.