Fog lights

Pro-cookie

Reaction score
Hi guys, car is in for MOT and fog lights don’t work! Garage can’t find the relay to test it. They found some relays under the steering column and checked all of those but I’m not sure it’s located there.
Basically since it’s last mot the fogs have worked intermittently and then failed altogether! The lights on the switches don’t light up either. I’ve heard it’s either the relay or the switch and I’m hoping it’s not the switch because apparently it’s really expensive?
So does anyone know where the relay is located? It’s a 2000 so I think that’s the facelift year.

The garage have checked the bulbs and the fuse and they are good.
Any help would be fantastic guys thank you.

Forgot to mention the garage said there was only 2 volts in the line. Not sure if that was before or after relay but as there not sure where relay is I should imagine it was 2volts at the switch.

The relay is behind the glovebox above the blower motor on a facelift

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

The relay is behind the glovebox above the blower motor on a facelift

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply mate. Is it easy to get to? I take it I somehow need to get the cover off behind the glovebox, do I need to take the blower out? And by any chance do you know the number of the relay?

My front fogs dont work ('99 b5 s4) but passes mot fine each year..
I'm sure the tester said it's not a failure.
Were you told by them they must work to pass?

My front fogs dont work ('99 b5 s4) but passes mot fine each year..
I'm sure the tester said it's not a failure.
Were you told by them they must work to pass?
I was told only the rears need to work. But they don’t either and I’ve been told they run off the same relay. So I’m hoping that’s the issue if not then it’s a switch which apparently is near on £200. I’m hoping it’s easy enough to reach the relay to try that. Do you know how to get the plastic cover off that hides the blower?

Do you mean tbe switch in the centre console @ £200 ? Surely not.
I have fannied about with the lower dash on many occasions. I'm sure on passenger lower it's just a few 9mm? screws.
I have a spare f/l fog switch, both red and blue, if that's what you need. Let me know.
I would have thought though it's a relay problem.
Are your skuttle drain plugs free? Is there any n/s front water ingress?

Yeah apparently so. I even come across someone else on a different forum that paid £120 on eBay for the switch! I’m just as boggled by it to be fair. Ok I’ll have ago after work at weekend and see if I have any joy. Yeah plugs are free I made sure of that a couple of years ago so as to prevent a blockage in first place. If it turns out that it’s not a relay how much do you want for the switches? Red and blue rings a bell that’s what the garage showed me before putting it back together they just couldn’t find the relay.

A tenner each posted mate.. when you find the relay let me know as i probably have that lying around (just dont know what it looks like from memory)

A tenner each posted mate.. when you find the relay let me know as i probably have that lying around (just dont know what it looks like from memory)
Spot on buddy thank you. I’ll see if there is a relay on work van that fits it first. If not then I may go for it. Cheers buddy.

Switches (and i think) the relay

Attachments

• 20190614_161537-2268x3024.jpg
    20190614_161537-2268x3024.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 264
  • 20190614_161551-2268x3024.jpg
    20190614_161551-2268x3024.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 279
  • 20190614_161537-2268x3024.jpg
    20190614_161537-2268x3024.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 275
Ok mate spot on. First of all though how do I get behind glove box? I’ve taken two screws out from within in glove box that’s all there seems to be. I’ve had a look by pulling plastic back in footwell and all I can see is the back of glovebox and then firewall. Surely they wouldn’t make it that awkward to get to some relays?

Switches (and i think) the relay
Ok I’ve stopped being a douche lol sorry if that offends anyone lol. Yes mate that’s the relay :icon thumright: I couldn’t here mine clicking when trying the fogs and according to the garage that’s how to know if there knackered? Not that I could get my ear all that close though so I don’t know if it’s a loud click or not?
I take it s4’s are not face lifted is that why you can’t use it on yours to get front fogs working?
Do you know if relay defo works? If so I’ll have it and switch’s mate how much for the lot?

Mine is pfl but the relay and switches you see came off a fl 2000 s4 i broke. All was fine with that car. Only my fronts not working btw

£30 for the lot posted ok?

Last edited:
Mine is pfl but the relay and switches you see came off a fl 2000 s4 i broke. All was fine with that car. Only my fronts not working btw

£30 for the lot posted ok?
Ok mate that’s cool. Private message me your PayPal details and I’ll transfer money over.

What else if it’s not relay issue could it be? I’m assuming a relay clicks when working but I’ve just checked my others and none of those click. I’m just concerned it could be wiring.