Folding mirrors retrofit

Thanks for the reply both have wires in the 2 and 6 position. Is there any extra coding I need to get them working? Does the passenger mirror usually have more wires that the driver side?
There was a discussion on that subject some time ago in ASN about dimming mirrors installed on both sides or only for the driver. It seems that Audi had complaints from customers about selling the 8V initially with dimming mirrors only on the driver side for some time, then they changed their mind and started to make the cars with dimming glasses on both sides, maybe in FL series. So, I guess that it's possible to get mirrors with wiring for dimming glasses on both sides or only driver side, depending on the time of production.
Passenger mirror usually has more wires than driver side because the glass adjustment motor has the position memory only in the passenger mirror, in order to allow mirror dipping on reverse function to work.
I've installed a dimming glass in my car, driver side only, because I've found one with a damaged connector for a very low price on ebay. Still plan to install another in the passenger mirror if I find an affordable one. But in this case I'll have to add wiring to the mirror loom.
Anyway, in order to have working exterior mirror dimming glasses, you must have in mind that the interior mirror loom also may have to be changed. Normally it has only 4 wires for the basic functions and it doesn't include the additional 2 wires necessary to take the dimming signal from the interior mirror to the door control modules. I had to do that in my car, but they they worked perfectly.

Just has a look only 2 wires to the glass so guessing that’s just heating. I read that post these are off a 17plate. My car doesn’t have a auto dimming rear mirror so doubtful it has the loom anyway.

@Rcord Just read your other post so assuming the passenger side has more wires because of the memory for dipping in reverse?

Last edited:
Just has a look only 2 wires to the glass so guessing that’s just heating. I read that post these are off a 17plate. My car doesn’t have a auto dimming rear mirror so doubtful it has the loom anyway.
The wires connected to positions 2 and 6 end in a connector that is fitted into a plastic slot at the back of the mirror frame, so they don't make ratting noises if they are not connected to a dimming mirror glass. My car didn't have an interior dimming mirror either and I've retrofitted one, initially with a 4 wire loom and then replaced it with a 6 wire when I found an exterior mirror glass. It's not a difficult retrofit to do and doesn't involve coding.

Reactions: dannyboy1985
@Rcord Just read your other post so assuming the passenger side has more wires because of the memory for dipping in reverse?
Exactly. Glass position memory is connected to pins 4, 13, 14 and 16. They are supposed to be present only in the passenger mirror.

Reactions: dannyboy1985
oooooooo, the folders I got have the border round the edge of the drivers mirror glass. Totally by luck.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Rcord
Well I’ve done it and it’s all working!! Result! The mirror caps are a ****** pain in the *** though! Took me 15min to fit the mirrors and an hour to change the caps! Also, managed to break the indicator on one.. not that it matters as I have plenty of spares.. lol

Reactions: Rcord and AlS3BE
Well I’ve done it and it’s all working!! Result! The mirror caps are a ****** pain in the *** though! Took me 15min to fit the mirrors and an hour to change the caps! Also, managed to break the indicator on one.. not that it matters as I have plenty of spares.. lol

Good result. Yeah the caps were a pain. The guides and videos on the net make it look so easy. I had like 3 trim tools and trim like tools I use for repairing mobiles to slowly edge the ****** out. Trying my hardest not to break any clips. A bit of patience and it all worked.
Should have mentioned it’s easier removing the caps when the mirrors are off the car.

Reactions: Rcord
oooooooo, the folders I got have the border round the edge of the drivers mirror glass. Totally by luck.
Exterior dimming mirrors are great. I remember that before retroffiting one in my car how much I hated when there was someone with a high beam behind my car and all I could do was trying to move my head in order to avoid the reflection from the mirror. Have you tested your new mirror to see if the dimming feature works?

No not tested yet. Although I have the rear view dimming mirror as standard.
I trial fitted the drivers mirror the other day but couldn't get it to fold/unfold. I think its a coding issue as the modules are good (checked the part nos) the mirrors have the correct wiring (blue/pink) All the other functions worked (glass movement and heater)
I just hope its nothing to do with me having a cabriolet S3 as the wire lengths from the mirror to the modules are definitely different.
I've sent DJAlix a message but haven't had a reply yet.

FYI I'm trying to install with no folding mirror switch, relying on the 'fold on lock' method

I trial fitted the drivers mirror the other day but couldn't get it to fold/unfold. I think its a coding issue as the modules are good (checked the part nos) the mirrors have the correct wiring (blue/pink) All the other functions worked (glass movement and heater)
I just hope its nothing to do with me having a cabriolet S3 as the wire lengths from the mirror to the modules are definitely different.
Well, DJAlix is the Jedi Master of VAG cars so if he can't solve your problem, noboby will. But I think you can do some testing in order to rule out faulty folding motors or connections. You migh use the tab "Output Tests" in VCDS door module options and send commands to fold/unfold to the mirror (I'm away from my car for the next weeks so I'm not sure how these options look exactly like). Alternatively, you might check the folding motors by disconnecting the mirror loom and connecting a 12V voltage directly to the motor wires.
On the dimming mirror, I think if your car had the wiring prepared to receive an exterior dimming glass it should work immediately after connected. I think there was a bit to be set in the door modude coding to inform "dimming mirror installed" but it worked in my car regardless of the bit set or not. So you might check if your wiring is ready by looking at the connector in the interior rearview mirror to see how many wires it has. If it has 6 wires, the blue and the green one are the connections to send the signal to the exterior mirror. If you have only 4, then you would need to add those 2 in order to have the connection working. Also, you could test the mirror glass by connecting a low voltage, like a 1.5 V battery (AA, AAA, no matter) to the pins 2 and 6 in the exterior mirror loom connector (mirror glass operates with lower voltages, about 2.3 V maximum).

FYI I'm trying to install with no folding mirror switch, relying on the 'fold on lock' method

Have you coded the folding mirrors yet?

I have the 'fold on lock option' selected in the MMI. but I don't have VCDS to check the long coding, hence my message to DJAlix.
I've had the mirror glass moving, but the folders I have are stuck in the folded position, so I haven't fitted them to the car. Going to try the 12V across the blue / pink to try and get some movement.

@Rcord - thanks for the info on the dipping, I'll check the wires on the rear view.

I thought I read on this thread that the cab mirrors are different compared to the rest of the models.
Do your mirrors have assist
Let us know how you get on.

All fitted and working. Mirrors were from a saloon. Physically they fitted but the wires were some 16" short to reached the door module. Cut and shut with some spare wire and all good.

Reactions: dannyboy1985, AlS3BE and Rcord
All fitted and working. Mirrors were from a saloon. Physically they fitted but the wires were some 16" short to reached the door module. Cut and shut with some spare wire and all good.
@Mylee Did the dimming work for you? I have a FL RS3 and looking to add some dimming/folding mirrors.

Reactions: Mylee
@Mylee Did the dimming work for you? I have a FL RS3 and looking to add some dimming/folding mirrors.

My old 'manual' mirrors had the extra wires for the dimming, but not the glass fitted.
The new folders have the dimming glass but not the wiring! Go figure.

Unbelievable! I'll have to watch out for that when buying some mirrors! If I were you I'd sell those dimmimg mirror glasses separately, they're hellishly expensive! Just put your old mirror glass in your new folding mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mylee
To resurrect this thread, I would like to add this folding mirror option to my FL 8v, would anybody know the part numbers for the parts required please?

I have anti dazzle rear view mirror already if this makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

If you have electric windows all round then you will just need mirrors and inside switch if you choose to fit it. Any mirrors 14ish and above will fit. Don’t know the exact part numbers. Just be sure they have the pink wire in the connectors that’s how you can tell them apart from non-folding.

Reactions: Oak Dub
Right thanks for the reply.. I was under the impression that I’d need the black modules on the doors too.

It’s usually only the base models that need modules as well. The modules you need have 501 at the end of the model Number so you can check yours. This is off memory been a year since I sold mine. The full module numbers are posted on here in a few places.

Il check it out when I get a chance, hopefully the mirror dip memory will be an option to enable if they are 501 modules.

To resurrect this thread, I would like to add this folding mirror option to my FL 8v, would anybody know the part numbers for the parts required please?

I have anti dazzle rear view mirror already if this makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Make sure you buy the folding mirrors that correspond to your specific car model. According to posts from members, mirrors for saloon (sedan), hatchback and cabrio may have different folding angles or cable lenghts. Also, mirror housings for LHD and RHD cars are angled differently and you cannot use a passenger mirror of a LHD car as driver mirror in a RHD car, and vice versa.

has anyone the Part Numbers for the Dimming Mirrors Glasses?
found the Wiring here: https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AU...isch-abblendbare-Aussenspiegel-Kabelsatz.html
i have the dimming rear view mirror and it can be installed

Part numbers are different for LHD and RHD cars. A I suppose cars are LHD in Greece, right? If so, the part numbers you are looking for are probably 8v0857536h (aspherical/wide angle) for the left side and 8v0857536g (convex) for passenger side. The wiring on the link you've posted is a complete cable set that includes some cables that may not be necessary. In my case, I decided to retrofit an auto dimming glass only on the driver side, and the power folding mirror already had the wiring for the dimming glass (I think it's a standard for driver side folding mirrors). My passenger side mirror doesn't have the wiring from factory though, so if I decide to add a dimming glass in the future it may be necessary to add a pair of wires to the existing loom. The wiring from the door module to the door disconnector was also present, so all I had to do was installing the wiring from the disconnector to the interior rearview mirror.

Reactions: IOANNIS CHALKIOTIS
i also found the foloding mirrors so im looking making all the transaction from heated only side mirrors to side heated/folding/dimming side mirrors
https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AU...anklappbare-Aussenspiegel-Nachruestpaket.html
is this site reliable? anyone ordered from here?

I've bough cables from them some time ago and had no problems. I thint it's a good idea asking them about the mirrors they are selling, if they have wiring for auto dimming glass, if it's on both sides, driver side only, neither side, then decide what to do about mirrors and wiring.

Part numbers are different for LHD and RHD cars. A I suppose cars are LHD in Greece, right? If so, the part numbers you are looking for are probably 8v0857536h (aspherical/wide angle) for the left side and 8v0857536g (convex) for passenger side. The wiring on the link you've posted is a complete cable set that includes some cables that may not be necessary. In my case, I decided to retrofit an auto dimming glass only on the driver side, and the power folding mirror already had the wiring for the dimming glass (I think it's a standard for driver side folding mirrors). My passenger side mirror doesn't have the wiring from factory though, so if I decide to add a dimming glass in the future it may be necessary to add a pair of wires to the existing loom. The wiring from the door module to the door disconnector was also present, so all I had to do was installing the wiring from the disconnector to the interior rearview mirror.
do i think only the drivers side is darkening?? or are they both?

do i think only the drivers side is darkening?? or are they both?
There were some posts on the forum some time ago about the question of dimming glasses on both sides or driver side only. If I remember correctly, Audi produced versions of the 8V with dimming mirrors only for the driver and also versions with both sides. There are electrical diagrams on Audi documentation that shows dimming mirror on both sides. Anyway, I've been using it only on the driver side for about 2 years and I don't remember having any problems caused by the lack of a passenger side dimming mirror. It seems that, due to the fact that the passenger mirror is placed at an angle that you can't see unless you really look at it, dazzling is not a real problem.

I believe all 8V vehicles specified with dimming mirrors had both sides until mid 2017 when Audi dropped the passenger side, around the same time they done away with the red door lights. I have an early 2017 vehicle with dimming mirrors and would not be without both sides.

Hi guys,

I am still wanting to add this retrofit to a FL Sportback, would anyone be able to guide me on the correct part numbers for heated mirrors, mirror switch and trim please?
Maybe dimming glass also.

Or if somebody has a kit for sale.

Any input appreciated

Last edited:
I'm trying to source the trim at a reasonable price, the ones on Aliexpress are greatly priced but unfortunately for LHD cars only :( can someone point in the right direction to get a RHD one (I need 2017 onwards with white LED)

I've got the mirrors and have bought VCDS, I'm honestly thinking of just fitting them as is for now with the fold on lock (as i never fold them with the switch on my previous car) would the coding be different for this? or just do the coding as if it's all installed?

Hi guys,

I am still wanting to add this retrofit to a FL Sportback, would anyone be able to guide me on the correct part numbers for heated mirrors, mirror switch and trim please?
Maybe dimming glass also.

Or if somebody has a kit for sale.

Any input appreciated

I'm trying to source the trim at a reasonable price, the ones on Aliexpress are greatly priced but unfortunately for LHD cars only :( can someone point in the right direction to get a RHD one (I need 2017 onwards with white LED)

I've got the mirrors and have bought VCDS, I'm honestly thinking of just fitting them as is for now with the fold on lock (as i never fold them with the switch on my previous car) would the coding be different for this? or just do the coding as if it's all installed?

Part numbers are on here somewhere as that’s where I got mine. It’s was roughly £400 from Crewe Audi on here for 2 bases, switch and door trim. Door trim was about £30-40 iirc

Reactions: ukd4v1d
Well fitted the hardware today and coded it in, happy to report all working as it should. Just need a switch and trim to finish it off :)

Reactions: Oak Dub and Rcord
Right I have got all the parts bar the switch trim/handle, would anyone be able to advise of the part number please for a FL Sport back?

Right I have got all the parts bar the switch trim/handle, would anyone be able to advise of the part number please for a FL Sport back?

8v0959565n switch
8v4959522b trim
These are the part numbers on the boxes for my parts I got for my fl sport back. Fitted the switch but not got round to fitting the armrest part. Need to melt some plastic studs and replace with small self tapper screws. Maybe next weeks project while I’m on lockdown.

After doing a bit of research on those part numbers am I right with this part number being the correct one for RHD & Black & with power folding? As there are multiple options for the trim part number. Also is there anywhere where order can be placed?

8V4959522B 6PS