Folding mirrors retrofit

Just an update, I spoke to Huntington Audi this morning (they post on eBay) the part number above for the trim is correct and as I’ve described and on its way ;) I didn’t enquire about the switch as I’d already ordered that from Aliexpress

the trim comes in three colours black, grey and beige hence why the letters on end of part number are significant to your trim and it’s the same part number minus a letter on the end that it’s for LHD cars (which all the ones on Aliexpress are)

After doing a bit of research on those part numbers am I right with this part number being the correct one for RHD & Black & with power folding? As there are multiple options for the trim part number. Also is there anywhere where order can be placed?

8V4959522B 6PS

Yep that is "Soul Black" for a RHD Sportback with folding mirrors. Just over £20 retail.

Edit: Just seen your reply :D

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Hi, I collect parts to retrofit my car with folding mirrors and auto dimming glasses. I bought folding mirrors, but I would like to change old cable ties, because they are damaged.
Is somebody know code of that cable tie?
I found code of cable tie for cable between door module and door plug (3D0971838N / 3W0971838), but cable tie which I have on mirror cable (that damaged) is little different and I don't know will it fit.

Hi, I collect parts to retrofit my car with folding mirrors and auto dimming glasses. I bought folding mirrors, but I would like to change old cable ties, because they are damaged.
Is somebody know code of that cable tie?

Did you check 3R0971848A? I think it's the right part number.

I did see a few threads on this and didn't want to add another, so piggy backing this one...

I've got PFL S3 with side assist and taking on this project to retrofit power folding mirrors... bought aftermarket housing second hand but noticed its wiring harness doesn't include the extra wiring for side assist.

Can anyone tell me if the wire to power the side assist LED to the door module is simply just a single wiring harness? Hoping I can source that wire and fish it through the new mirror housing to get everything to work. Added some pics to show what's currently in my car: I want to assume it just simply powers the side assist light from the door module.
Psidemirror assist Psidemirror wire

TIA!

[QUOTE="Grezex, post: 3632781, member: 148980"
Can anyone tell me if the wire to power the side assist LED to the door module is simply just a single wiring harness? Hoping I can source that wire and fish it through the new mirror housing to get everything to work. Added some pics to show what's currently in my car: I want to assume it just simply powers the side assist light from the door module.[/QUOTE]

Actually the side assist LED is not connected to the door module, but to a harness that comes directly from the Side Assist radar devices in the rear bumper. Companies that sell Side Assist retrofit kits supply a set of wires to be added to the mirror harness, but I'm not sure they will sell you the wires for the LED separately. You could make your own wiring buy cutting/splicing the wires from the old mirror anyway. Modifying the mirror harness to add a new pair or wires into the harness tube involves a lot of work, since it has a lot of tape, heat-shrink tubing and even some kind of glue to make it waterproof. I did a complete rework to the mirror harness to include the pair of wires when I retrofitted Side Assist in my A3 but I don't know if other retrofitters also do the same or if that waterproofing is really so important.

Reactions: Grezex
Actually the side assist LED is not connected to the door module, but to a harness that comes directly from the Side Assist radar devices in the rear bumper. Companies that sell Side Assist retrofit kits supply a set of wires to be added to the mirror harness, but I'm not sure they will sell you the wires for the LED separately. You could make your own wiring buy cutting/splicing the wires from the old mirror anyway. Modifying the mirror harness to add a new pair or wires into the harness tube involves a lot of work, since it has a lot of tape, heat-shrink tubing and even some kind of glue to make it waterproof. I did a complete rework to the mirror harness to include the pair of wires when I retrofitted Side Assist in my A3 but I don't know if other retrofitters also do the same or if that waterproofing is really so important.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion! I was hoping it's just to power the lights. I was originally hoping to cut open my stock housing to get the wire, but that seemed more pain than it's worth. If it's just to power... I wonder if there are other audi/vw parts I can buy and repurpose or can piece together, or cut the plug heads off current and use some automotive wiring.

However, I do see a listing on aliexpress selling wiring upgrade: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970986178.html
looks like I just need half of that?

Good job on the rework, that sounds like quite the painstaking project! If I can get it to work, I probably will just heat-shrink bits of it and pipe it through rather than disassemble the entire housing.

However, I do see a listing on aliexpress selling wiring upgrade: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970986178.html
looks like I just need half of that?

Good job on the rework, that sounds like quite the painstaking project! If I can get it to work, I probably will just heat-shrink bits of it and pipe it through rather than disassemble the entire housing.

Always check the wiring before buying something that is part of a retrofit kit. I've noticed that the kit I bought had male and female connectors placed in inverted positions. The point where the LED wiring connected to the door harness had a male connector when there was supposed to be a female connector and vice versa. It works perfectly for a complete retrofit, but can make connection impossible if you are connecting a retrofit mirror LED wiring with the wrong connector to a stock door harness. Also, I've found the wires in the retrofit kit too short so I had to cut and splice some wires adding some 15 cm to it in order to have proper lengths, so I cannot recommend the supplier I bought from.

Anyway, you don't need to disassemble the entire housing in order to be able to rework the mirror harness. All you have to do is removing the washer that fixes the harness to the mirror base.

Always check the wiring before buying something that is part of a retrofit kit. I've noticed that the kit I bought had male and female connectors placed in inverted positions. The point where the LED wiring connected to the door harness had a male connector when there was supposed to be a female connector and vice versa. It works perfectly for a complete retrofit, but can make connection impossible if you are connecting a retrofit mirror LED wiring with the wrong connector to a stock door harness. Also, I've found the wires in the retrofit kit too short so I had to cut and splice some wires adding some 15 cm to it in order to have proper lengths, so I cannot recommend the supplier I bought from.

Ah good point, thanks for the head's up. Too difficult for me to tell in the pictures from that listing, but looks like I at least need this piece of the retrofit: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H5e7894ade2204ec0a686d8fe823f3f8dH.jpg , which looks like the male connector to the side assist light.
With that I would just need a male/female 2-way connector to the door/sensor harness (1J0973332 - image attached), I can find this in amz or elsewhere.

But trying to get the plugs and wire separately, I can't seem find the connector that goes into the side assist light though, says (attached): "JAE P PAT " , no luck in online searches.

Hopeful thinking I can get away with buying wires + heads and call it a day!

Could you tell me which wires you used add length to yours?

Attachments

• psidemirror-assist-malefemale.jpg
    psidemirror-assist-malefemale.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 218
  • assist-light-plug.jpg
    assist-light-plug.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 245
Ah good point, thanks for the head's up. Too difficult for me to tell in the pictures from that listing, but looks like I at least need this piece of the retrofit: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H5e7894ade2204ec0a686d8fe823f3f8dH.jpg , which looks like the male connector to the side assist light.
With that I would just need a male/female 2-way connector to the door/sensor harness (1J0973332 - image attached), I can find this in amz or elsewhere.

But trying to get the plugs and wire separately, I can't seem find the connector that goes into the side assist light though, says (attached): "JAE P PAT " , no luck in online searches.

Hopeful thinking I can get away with buying wires + heads and call it a day!

Could you tell me which wires you used add length to yours?

When buying the connectors, make sure the seller supllies them complete with the contact terminals, otherwise you'll have to find out what's the right terminal type and may have to buy more parts than you need, or pay too much to buy a small number of terminals. Aliexpress usually sells the connectors with terminals included. The connector that goes in the side assist indicator is a JAE MX19002S51. The wires are .35 mm gauge but unfortunately I don't remember the lengths.

When buying the connectors, make sure the seller supllies them complete with the contact terminals, otherwise you'll have to find out what's the right terminal type and may have to buy more parts than you need, or pay too much to buy a small number of terminals. Aliexpress usually sells the connectors with terminals included. The connector that goes in the side assist indicator is a JAE MX19002S51. The wires are .35 mm gauge but unfortunately I don't remember the lengths.

Thanks for the part number, now just gotta get everything together.

While waiting for that, I see earlier in the thread about testing the folding mirrors, now I'm curious if it'll work with my modules.
I haven't taken apart the my LHD panel yet, I connected the passenger mirror only to make sure mirror motor and lights work.
Do you know if I can just code and make folding active for the passenger side and enable fold on lock to test folding works (52/Door & 09 + 5F)?

From another thread:

42 - Door Elect Driver
Byte 4
  • Bit 4 = Active (Foldable Mirrors Installed)
  • Bit 6 = Active (Comfort Mirror Folding active)

52 - Door Elect Driver
Byte 4
  • Bit 1 = Active (Mirror Memory Function)
  • Bit 2 = Active (Reverse Mirror Dipping active)
  • Bit 3 = Active (Position Memory for Reverse Gear Mirror Dipping active)
  • Bit 4 = Active (Foldable Mirrors Installed)
  • Bit 6 = Active (Comfort Mirror Folding active)

09 - Cent Elect
  • Access control 2-Funk Spiegelanklappen = Active
  • Access control 2-Funk Spiegelanklappung Modus = by look command via remote control key
  • Access control 2-Menuesteuerung synchrone Spiegelverstellung = active
  • Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Funk Spiegel anklappen = Active
  • Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Komfortbedienung einstellbar = adjustable

5F - Information Elect
  • Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_car_mirror = activated

Reactions: Smurf S3
Answering my own question above... using OBD11 there's an "Output test: Mirror fold-in" function; after changing 52>Byte4>Bit4 = Installed, did the tests and folding in/down worked!

Reactions: Rcord
Okay, how do you remove the driver side mirror adjustment switch/knob from the trim...? Been trying to pry it free, but feel like I'm going to break something,.don't want to push through risking breaking the knob either

Did you check 3R0971848A? I think it's the right part number.
Thanks for help.
I bought that cable ties in audi service and on audi sevice they told me that:
- first code was 4F2721663
- second code was 3R0971848A (4F2721663 was ended and changed to this code)
- third code is 4M0971838B (3R0971848A was ended and changed to this code) and this code is actual
Maybe that information will help somebody.

Reactions: Rcord
@Rcord since I'm taking everything apart was pondering retrofitting auto-dimming mirrors while I'm at it. Saw your posts a while back in another thread, but it's a bit over my head on the wiring. Is it a separate plug going into the heated mirror? Hard to tell from picture I uploaded from a listing (circled). If so, where does that wire connect to? I currently have auto-dimming rearview mirrors, so not sure if it's linked to that through the A-pillar or something.

Thanks again!

S l1600

Folding mirror update: I'm still waiting on wiring harnesses for the side assist to deliver, if that doesn't work I'll resort to snipping off wires off my stock mirror to use as pigtails and soldering them to longer wires.

Probably going to skip updating the door trim, not feeling up to cutting/melting off the plastic rivets:blink:

Is it a separate plug going into the heated mirror? Hard to tell from picture I uploaded from a listing (circled). If so, where does that wire connect to? I currently have auto-dimming rearview mirrors, so not sure if it's linked to that through the A-pillar or something.

There should be a pair of wires with a connector to be plugged to the connector circled in the picture. Some mirrors do have the wiring even when there is no auto-dimming glass and in this case the connector is plugged into a square plastic slot so it doesn't make rattling noises in the mirror casing. The wires for the dimming glass are connected to pins 2 and 6 in the mirror connector.

If there is a connection from the rearview mirror to the door you can check it by looking at the interior mirror's 8 pin connector and verify if there is a blue and a green wire in the pins 4 and 5.

Rcord. The 2 said wires in the holder . If it is not pre wired to the interior mirror do you know where they terminate? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rcord. The 2 said wires in the holder . If it is not pre wired to the interior mirror do you know where they terminate?

The wires in the exterior mirror connect to the 16 pin connector in the door module (black and black/grey wires), then from the bigger, 20 pin connector of the door module to the door disconnector (blue and green wires), then from the door disconnector to the interior mirrror (blue and green wires). Im my car, the wiring from the door module to the disconnector was present, even though there were no dimming mirrors installed.

Thanks . I have done the interior mirror retrofit and noticed the wires in the wing mirror when changing to black caps. So to continue the loom would it be from the door disconnector to interior mirror only ? As from there to the mirror is wired? Do you have the pin numbers for the door connector and repair wire number please

I'm not seeing anything in the mirror housing for both stock(with side assist) and aftermarket(without side assist) that have an additional plug that would go into the auto-dimming mirror. Only have the heated mirror wires, so looks like I can't just plug in play?

Is this where interior mirror terminates to the door module (arrow in picture)?
Dside door

Thanks . I have done the interior mirror retrofit and noticed the wires in the wing mirror when changing to black caps. So to continue the loom would it be from the door disconnector to interior mirror only ? As from there to the mirror is wired? Do you have the pin numbers for the door connector and repair wire number please
I think you should check if the connection from the door module to the door disconnector is present. If so, there must be a blue wire connected to pin 17 and a green wire into pin 8 of the 20 pin connector of the door module. In this case, all the wiring that needs to be added is the following:

blue wire from pin 3 of the door disconnector to pin 5 of the interior mirror
green wire from pin 2 of the door disconnector to pin 4 of the interior mirror

Interior mirror conector uses the pins corresponding to repair wire 000979034E
Door disconnector uses the pins corresponding to repair wire 000979035E

I'm not seeing anything in the mirror housing for both stock(with side assist) and aftermarket(without side assist) that have an additional plug that would go into the auto-dimming mirror. Only have the heated mirror wires, so looks like I can't just plug in play?

Is this where interior mirror terminates to the door module (arrow in picture)?

Your mirror probably is not ready for the auto-dimming glass. You might check pins 2 and 6 in the 16-pin connector of the mirror harness to see if there are wires connected anyway. The arrow on the picture is pointing to the 20-pin connector which connects to other circuits. The mirror connector is the next at the left. Notice that it's connected to the same harness where the smaller, 2 pin connector for the side assist indicator is connected.

Your mirror probably is not ready for the auto-dimming glass. You might check pins 2 and 6 in the 16-pin connector of the mirror harness to see if there are wires connected anyway. The arrow on the picture is pointing to the 20-pin connector which connects to other circuits. The mirror connector is the next at the left. Notice that it's connected to the same harness where the smaller, 2 pin connector for the side assist indicator is connected.

Ah, staring at it some more I do see a holder that would fit a plug in the mirror housings. Alas missing from both stock and aftermarket housings :disappointed:
Also missing pins 2 and 6 from the 16 connector of the mirror harness.
There goes that idea, thanks gain for that wealth of info though!!!

I think you should check if the connection from the door module to the door disconnector is present. If so, there must be a blue wire connected to pin 17 and a green wire into pin 8 of the 20 pin connector of the door module. In this case, all the wiring that needs to be added is the following:

These are from my passenger side (my car's LHD), looks like I have 17 and 8 as you described.
Pside 20pin a Pside 20pin b
Sounds like I'd have to run new wires from interior mirror to door module (is this needed for both sides?)
And then run new wires from wing/exterior mirror to the harness.
oof. Might have to pass on this one :astonished:

Sorry just clarify the mirror pins 4 and 5 do these need 2 sets of wires into these pins one for each door?

Sounds like I'd have to run new wires from interior mirror to door module (is this needed for both sides?)
And then run new wires from wing/exterior mirror to the harness.
oof. Might have to pass on this one :astonished:

Some cars have only driver side dimming mirrors. Mine doesn't have passenger side and I never really felt the need to have it. It seems that if you have a headlight hitting you from the passenger side mirror it's easy to solve it by just not looking at it. Maybe I'll still retrofit one if I find the mirror glass for a price too good to ignore (but it still didn't happen).
The pictures you sent are from the 16 pin mirror connector, but the pins 17 and 8 I mentioned refer to the 20 pin connector so there may be some confusion here.
Anyway, adding wires to the mirror harness is a hard task but it's perfectly possible to do. I did it in my auto dimming retrofit and did it again when retrofitting Side Assist lights, and that's what most people do when retrofitting Side Assist, instead of buying whole new mirrors. Good luck!

Sorry just clarify the mirror pins 4 and 5 do these need 2 sets of wires into these pins one for each door?
Repair wires have two terminals, one at each end, of course, so you'll need one for the pins 4 and 5 in the mirror connector. For the door disconnectors you'll need 2 wires, one for each door, or only one if you plan to retrofit only the driver side wing mirror. Remember to check if your passenger side mirror has the internal wiring prepared for the dimming glass, as sometimes the wiring is present only in the driver side.

Some cars have only driver side dimming mirrors. Mine doesn't have passenger side and I never really felt the need to have it. It seems that if you have a headlight hitting you from the passenger side mirror it's easy to solve it by just not looking at it. Maybe I'll still retrofit one if I find the mirror glass for a price too good to ignore (but it still didn't happen).
The pictures you sent are from the 16 pin mirror connector, but the pins 17 and 8 I mentioned refer to the 20 pin connector so there may be some confusion here.
Anyway, adding wires to the mirror harness is a hard task but it's perfectly possible to do. I did it in my auto dimming retrofit and did it again when retrofitting Side Assist lights, and that's what most people do when retrofitting Side Assist, instead of buying whole new mirrors. Good luck!

Ah make sense, I'll double check when I take apart the driver's side and see if it's there.

I got the wiring harnesses today, the seller was able to send these (they're separated but I figure I can just change housing on one):
Sideassist harness

Any tips on how to remove the pins from the housing on these?
Been trying all afternoon, haha... would save me a cut and solder just to move these to the other set.

1J0973332 housing

Thanks record. I do have the wiring in both mirrors . What i wanted to know was Do the morror pin out wires need splitting ? Eg cables from pin 4 and 5 to drivers door disconnector then also cables from pins 4 and 5 to passenger side ? .thanks

What i wanted to know was Do the morror pin out wires need splitting ? Eg cables from pin 4 and 5 to drivers door disconnector then also cables from pins 4 and 5 to passenger side ?

Exactly.

Ive thought also about the side assist retrofit . Whats involved with that . ?
New mirror casings
Led for casings
2 radars if used do they need calibrating?
Is it a 4 wire connection other than mirrors ? Can plus and neg? If i didnt do the dimming mirrors i thought i could de pin these 2 wires and use for led mirror warning instead of running new extra cables in to the mirror .what do you think record ? Thanks

Ive thought also about the side assist retrofit . Whats involved with that . ?
New mirror casings
Led for casings
2 radars if used do they need calibrating?
Is it a 4 wire connection other than mirrors ? Can plus and neg? If i didnt do the dimming mirrors i thought i could de pin these 2 wires and use for led mirror warning instead of running new extra cables in to the mirror .what do you think record ? Thanks
Radars do need calibrating and Audi repair manuals even recommend a re-calibration every time the rear bumper is removed and reinstalled, but I don't think it's so important in order to have a reasonably functional system working. I've been using a pair of used radars with the calibration that came in them and I have no problems with it. But brand new modules come with no calibration and AFAIK it requires special equipment and procedures that only the dealership can do, and probably only if the car has Side Assist from factory. Also, it seems that people also report having problems when the two modules come from different cars, so besides buying used modules, it seems do be recommended to buy a matched pair, from the same car.

Using the wiring for the dimming mirror to connect the indicator led seems to be a good idea, as even the connector for the mirror glass and side assist indicator is the same type.

Hi, another add on, I am just setting off on my power fold mirrors retrofit so excuse me if this has already been answered.
Can any one tell me if the trim from around the drivers door switches can be separated from the switches and swapped over or do you have to swap the switches as a unit complete with window switches etc.
Drivers door switches
The reason for the question is that I have seen a complete one for sale but the switches are not exactly the same as mine and I would like to keep my switches - but obviously swap the mirror switch.
I assume the mirror switches can be swapped as they are often listed separately.

This is the switch for sale
Door switches ebay
I have seen that the window switch is different, another reason to just change the trim and mirror switch if possible

This is the switch for sale
View attachment 225015
I have seen that the window switch is different, another reason to just change the trim and mirror switch if possible

The switches pop out the original trim and can be fitted to a new one. To be honest if you are going to the hassle in removing the trim from the door card then you might as well fit a new one with the correct symbols. It wasn’t that expensive from Crewe Audi on here.
I just haven’t got round to doing mine so just popped the new switch in the original trim.

Ive Just installed folding mirrors and dimming mirrors both side ;-)LHD

any questions im willing to help <3
stay safe

Attachments

• IMG_6338.JPG
    IMG_6338.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6339.JPG
    IMG_6339.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 174
Reactions: Potterswheel
Guys, the reason for my question is that I know its not an S3 switch but the legends are in the right place for the standard switch panel holes, so that if it is a direct swap you don't have to swap the lot which I understand from previous posts is a bit involved with plastic welding etc. and you pull on this every time you shut the door.
The only thing you loose if it is possible is the off position and I think the layout is better.

The one on Aliexpress is for a LHD car like most of the new ones on a well known auction site and again from previous posts people have had fun with switch operation being upside down and back to front depending upon the source.
Your image does answer my question though thanks as the switches have been removed!

Last edited: