For anyone who used to own an old style s3 and who owns a new style one now..

It still makes me laugh when people hate the new S3 just "because it does not have flared arches...."

As above in my post there are loads of standout differences over "other" A3's and the old S3 which I had 2 did not really stand out totally different over the A3's as it looked much like them too, only the car enthusiast could instantly identify it as what it was.

The old S3 remapped is no where near as quick as a standard 8P S3 as said above I had 2 old S3's. One had a APR map and the other AMD and they were no where near as quick as my new standard 8P S3.

Kef9 said:
A new S3 looks like an S Line, the diffuser is the only standout feature. To me it doesnt look stuninng and definitely does not have the wow factor that the old one did when it was released.

Not ****** off mate but come on???

Hows about the different front bumper, different rear bumper, rear diffuser, sideskirts, wheels and brakes with S3 styling to name a few differences over the old version.

I loved the old version too but as said many times before the onyl styling lacking from old to new is the flared arches and that does not make the new one look like a normal one and also it didnt make the old one not look like a A3!

They all, old and new are based on the A3 so of course they are going to look slightly like them!

JamS3 said:
It still makes me laugh when people hate the new S3 just "because it does not have flared arches...."

As above in my post there are loads of standout differences over "other" A3's and the old S3 which I had 2 did not really stand out totally different over the A3's as it looked much like them too, only the car enthusiast could instantly identify it as what it was.

The old S3 remapped is no where near as quick as a standard 8P S3 as said above I had 2 old S3's. One had a APR map and the other AMD and they were no where near as quick as my new standard 8P S3.
Completely agree with you there mate. Although the 8L S3 had a more distinctive look over the standard model, as a hot hatch, it was lacking in a few areas, such as handling, compared to its rivals.

With the new S3 Audi have addressed these issues. In terms of performance they have made it into the fastest, best performing hot hatch available, not only in terms of 0-60, but it is quicker around a track compared to all of its rivals, and thats a fact!

Yes it doesn't feel fast, but it is fast! Its just Audi have decided to make the S3 a discreet car as well as a quick one, giving you the best of both worlds.

If you want a real raw performance car, buy and EVO or a Skyline. If you want the best of both worlds, get an S3, 8P of course :):)

Standard around 5.5 to 5.7 secs...

Audi driver put it against a new S4 for a comparision and the S3 was faster than it on in gear acceleration.

CARACTERE007 said:
thanks jam,...another silly question now..so whats the 0-60 time of a chipped 8p s3?

5.44s with a boot full of camping kit on a slightly wet Bruntingthorpe 1/4mile track.

To be honest it wasn't the damp track I was struggling with, it was the 'off the line' launch. A remap does give you a bit more punch, but the transmission struggles to get it down. Maybe an uprated Haldex controller would give a couple of extra tenths. I guesstimate I could have probably got down to 5.2s on a perfect take off, but I wouldn't guarantee being able to replicate it everytime as it has a tendency to bog down if you just slightly overcook it.

JamS3 said:
I did not say it was JUST because of the lack of flared arches.....
The old S3 looked like it had been designed as a whole, all the lines matched up and it looked purposeful. The new one looks like the body kit has been designed as an afterthought and bolted on. The lines don't flow and it looks awkward.

Don't get me wrong, the new S3 is still a good looking car, but it could have looked much better with very little more effort from the designer. With slightly flared arches and sideskirts that didn't look like a cheap aftermarket pair it could have been stunning.

For me the s-line bodykit looks better as a whole as all the parts seem to fit together as a package better.

I like the new S3, I just don't think it stands out from the normal A3's like the old one did. People may disagree and that's fine. I loved the old S3 so much that after I sold mine (for an Impreza turbo, but don't go there!) I bought it back again, but the new one drove me away and made me by a BMW and that's a real shame.

Remember, If we all liked the same car it'd be a dull world!

JamS3 said:
Not ****** off mate but come on???

Hows about the different front bumper, different rear bumper, rear diffuser, sideskirts, wheels and brakes with S3 styling to name a few differences over the old version.

I loved the old version too but as said many times before the onyl styling lacking from old to new is the flared arches and that does not make the new one look like a normal one and also it didnt make the old one not look like a A3!

They all, old and new are based on the A3 so of course they are going to look slightly like them!

The different front bumper, different rear bumper and sideskirts? Sorry mate I didnt notice and there quite simply lies the problem with the styling in my opinion. The only thing you do notice on the new car is the diffuser.

Also regarding performance and I dont want to start arguments here but how a can a standard 8P S3 be faster than a remapped 8L S3. They would both have 265 bhp but the older car is lighter and also would have a hell of a lot more torque. Therefore the area under the power graph would be more. Has anyone ever run some tests on this racing the 2 cars side by side?

Kef9 said:
The different front bumper, different rear bumper and sideskirts? Sorry mate I didnt notice and there quite simply lies the problem with the styling in my opinion. The only thing you do notice on the new car is the diffuser.

Also regarding performance and I dont want to start arguments here but how a can a standard 8P S3 be faster than a remapped 8L S3. They would both have 265 bhp but the older car is lighter and also would have a hell of a lot more torque. Therefore the area under the power graph would be more. Has anyone ever run some tests on this racing the 2 cars side by side?

What is the point of comparing a remapped 8L vs a standard 8P? Wouldn't it be better to compare standard vs standard or remapped vs remapped?

Think we all know the results if you did :think:

Kef9 said:

I been driving Audis for 6 years now, and the only way I can tell an S3 from any other 3 door A3 is the wheels.
Sorry...

bowfer said:
I been driving Audis for 6 years now, and the only way I can tell an S3 from any other 3 door A3 is the wheels.
Sorry...

Guess thats about right I have a job to tell the difference between a A3/A4 behind me thats one reason why I chose Sprint blue at least in most cases if I see another sprint blue its going to be S3/S4 lol

IH786 said:
What is the point of comparing a remapped 8L vs a standard 8P? Wouldn't it be better to compare standard vs standard or remapped vs remapped?

I was responding to Jam S3's comments at the top of the page.

bowfer said:
Sorry...

Maybe you need glasses then! lol :happy:

IH786 said:

Yeah, about 1sec to 60 and £15k between the two ;)

bowfer said:
Sorry...

Thats nothing, my brother thinks that an Evo and Scoob look the same!

The S3 is subtly agressive in its styling which is what you expect from the S cars. If there is ever an RS3 for the 8P then i'm sure that it will, like the RS4 have the big wheel arches and bluntly aggressive styling. This seems to be the distinction Audi wants to make with the S RS cars.

Come off it bowfer the S3 is very different to a standard A3!!! I can spot one a mile off!!

Kef9 said:

Well have a look at the two side by side and there is enough difference for me to notice.

The new one has a better turbo, cooling and different engine thats why its quicker than a chipped 8L. Its about how the power is developed and put down rather than same bhp. Dont think the new one is that heavier but cant remember the weights?

Take a new one for a test drive and you will be very surprised how quick they are, none of my remaps on my 2 old 8L S3's pulled as hard as the new one does so much so I'm not even contemplating getting the new one remapped as its quick enough!

sat1983 said:
Come off it bowfer the S3 is very different to a standard A3!!! I can spot one a mile off!!

Exactly, just think some people on here like winding others up.

If you cant immediately tell the differences with the front, rear and sides then you either need glasses or cant call yourself a car fan or enthusiast.

Iv'e kept quiet most of the time with Bowfers arguments with others but he always seems to like to go against whats said!

dipstic said:
Guess thats about right I have a job to tell the difference between a A3/A4 behind me thats one reason why I chose Sprint blue at least in most cases if I see another sprint blue its going to be S3/S4 lol

Mind you I tend to find that I havent got time to look at all the various A3 pottering along always tell a deisel thou more so a DSG version usually waiting to pull out in front of me on roundabouts some guy wearing glasses waving a Alpina badge:hubbahubba:

JamS3 said:
Well have a look at the two side by side and there is enough difference for me to notice.

The new one has a better turbo, cooling and different engine thats why its quicker than a chipped 8L. Its about how the power is developed and put down rather than same bhp. Dont think the new one is that heavier but cant remember the weights?

Is this off the top of your head or do you have evidence to back this claim up. Also turbo cooling and engine doesnt matter but torque and power figures do. Have you raced them side by side? Regarding how power is put down - they both use the same haldex system.

sat1983 said:

Well, obviously I'd probably spot the difference between an S3 and a basic A3 from a mile off, but would I instantly know it was an S3?
Probably not, I'd probably just think it was one of the millions of ****** S-line's going around, until I saw the wheels (or the badge).

bowfer said:
Well, obviously I'd probably spot the difference between an S3 and a basic A3 from a mile off, but would I instantly know it was an S3?
Probably not, I'd probably just think it was one of the millions of ****** S-line's going around, until I saw the wheels (or the badge).

Oh I see, you were talking about the new S3! I see what you mean now. For me replace 'wheels' with 'diffuser'.

JamS3 said:
If you cant immediately tell the differences with the front, rear and sides then you either need glasses or cant call yourself a car fan or enthusiast.

What a crock.
There's a difference between a car enthusiast and an anorak.

bowfer said:
What a crock.
There's a difference between a car enthusiast and an anorak.

Exactly so I'd book yourself in for some new lenses in your glasses as the differences are obvious, even my mrs can easily spot them and she is not intersted in cars full stop!

JamS3 said:
Exactly so I'd book yourself in for some new lenses in your glasses as the differences are obvious, even my mrs can easily spot them and she is not intersted in cars full stop!

Your missus can tell the difference between an S3 and an S-line, but she's not interested in cars?
Do you expect me to believe that???
Sheeeesh...

Never mentioned a s-line.

But seeing as though you did the differences over a s-line are the same as the A3. Ie all the different parts iv'e listed above.

No one has ever mentioned how a sline looks the same as a A3 have they?

There is more similarity there...

Firstly i'd say anyone who can't tell an S3 from other A3's must need glasses. As for body styling, each to their own with opinions. I personally don't feel the need to defend the S3 be it in looks or performance, i drive one and for me it ticks all the boxes and puts a ****** big smile on my face. Reading past posts which seem to vary on what the car should have been like in looks suspension and general performance to me is all subjective. We'd all probably like faster beter handling cars than what we already have but for me the stock S3 pushed hard and ragged around bends is hell of a package. Back to styling, i prefer subtle, not too bling and boy racer looking but enough to give it that something extra. Bottom line is that everyone who has bought an 8P S3 strange as it sounds did actually see the external styling before they bought them so i can only assume owners like them and none owners don't (though not all obviously). I actually sold an A3 S-Line for the S3 and reading posts on here suggest there isn't much difference in looks, again each to his own opinion. What i would say is that when i'm driving at night holding the RS4 type steering wheel, looking at the white dial clocks and flooring the pedal it certainly feels different. A funny story ..... when i pulled up on my drive for the first time and was just about to get out the car my neighbour had his nose up agains't the side window shouting "S3, not seen one close up before!". How the ****** hell did he know it was an S3 :). Anyway i'm sure this thread will carry on with no conclusion but hey that's life! I'm sure 8L S3 owners love theirs and so they should, i could have had one and saved ten grand but i feel they look dated and so are not for me. I say that only as a personal view and not a dig at 8L S3 owners. Anyway, lifes too short, go out for a drive!

Kef9 said:
Is this off the top of your head or do you have evidence to back this claim up. Also turbo cooling and engine doesnt matter but torque and power figures do. Have you raced them side by side? Regarding how power is put down - they both use the same haldex system.

I'm with Jam3s on this one - you can't focus just on headline figures - you need to consider the way in which those figures are delivered - and have you driven both cars Jam3s has had several 8L S3's and is now in the 8P so is probably better placed than most to explian the differences!

The below might help expand on what he was saying....

I had an old S3 with 255bhp.
The map on that car meant you got a bucketful of lag with very little below the turbo's band width but a big kick in the back at about 2750rpm that trailed off from about 5000 rpm - losing 30% of the torque. Think about it, you're left with a band width of say 2500 rpm hitting those headline figures.
As for the BHP figures, again the old S3 peaks at 5000rom and then goes off the boil. It felt quick, but when I had a play with a few cars over the years it never seemed to leave them as quickly as I felt it should.

In the new car, in standard spec, the car actually doesn't feel as quick as it is, I remember when I test drove it thinking "where's the kick in the back?". Then you look at the speedo and you realise you're going a lot faster than you thought.
A standard S3 is pulling over 90% max torque from 2750rpm to the redline, so a useable band width of nearly 4000rpm.
BHP continues to rise to it's peak all the way up to the redline again.

If you want evidence look at the following:
New S3 - standard is the light grey line:
http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/2006AudiS320T.pdf

Old S3 =- chipped is the blue line:
http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/s3.pdf

What jam3s says above is true, everything in the new car is better engineered than the old - it's 8 years newer technology.
So cooling, engine internals, the way the haldex controller is set up all work better than the old car!

As for the looks, well I like them and agree that yes it's discreet, but the little detail touches make themselves known when you've had it for a while. I can spot another one a mile off. The fact that lot's of others can't spot what it is actually appeals to me.

I love both cars - was really sad to see my old one go, but the new one has grown and grown on me!

Funky_Junky said:
Yeah, about 1sec to 60 and £15k between the two ;)

Hmm, so a new 8L S3 cost 12K did it?

I fail to see the comparison between a new car and a secondhand car, if we are going down that route then I'm sure a secondhand EV0 IX 360 would be much faster than the 8P S3 for the same price!

I love these threads! To be honest whether we drive an 8P / 8L, S or S Line we should all be pretty grateful that we've got what we've got and be happy with it. In general terms they are all pretty good 'jack of all trades, master of none' hatchbacks that are most things to most men/women.

It's usually a sign that life's pretty good if this is the best issue we can find to lock horns over!

s3mike said:
Hmm, so a new 8L S3 cost 12K did it?

I fail to see the comparison between a new car and a secondhand car, if we are going down that route then I'm sure a secondhand EV0 IX 360 would be much faster than the 8P S3 for the same price!

he he he someone nibbled.

Calm down mate, I was only highlighting the fact that IMO i couldn't see the additional value in buying an 8P if you currently own a decent 8L - I just don't think they worth the step upgrade in cost. The way I see it is you go slightly quicker (mapped 8L v standard 8P - I wouldn't map a brand new one for warranty reasons), get nice recaro's (if you don't the £1500 extra price tag) and look like an s-line :p (especially the late spec one shown above). Ok the handling is better, but I rarely drive at 10/10th's - i've got a 21 year old 205 GTI for that, which is without doubt more fun than either 8L or 8P.

This will be my opinion though as i'm not from the 'I must buy the new version so people will see the plate/car" camp. Some are some aren't, just horses for courses. I salute you though as I'll get to buy the car off someone like you in a few years for half the retail price ;)

I'm perfectly calm, just wonder why people keep comparing the price of new cars to secondhand ones!

You'll have to wait a while for my car, I had my last car for 4.5 years and will probably keep the new one for similar. I know it costs a lot in depreciation but at least I have no worries other than servicing and consumables for a few years.

Personally I think the S3 is a great car and couldn't care less whether it does / does not look like an s-line or whether it is less / more distinctive than the 8L version!

I also couldn't care less what plate the car has or what other people think, I only waited until Sept 1st as I thought the resale value might be better in years to come.

I've owned both 8L and now 8P S3's. The 8L was a fantastic car and with the Revo remap always brought a smile when that surge kicked in. I agree with Jamie and Jams points in that while the power figure is the same the delivery is much better in the 8P (still standard). That 265bhp in the 8L wasnt evident all the way through the rev range as it is with the new one. Still contemplating bluefin or revo on the new one but to be honest its still bringing a smile to my face as standard for the time being. Plant that foot and it gets on with it - quickly with no fuss.

Mate of mine said he raced an S3 in his diesel BM, really I said, sure it was an S3 ? "Yeh think so - it had the twin exhaust like yours" ! Clearly the untrained eye is not savvy to the subtle differences which in some way is good when there's so many thieves about.

I too was sorry to see the 8L going and worried whether the new model would be special enough. Since i've had it (4 months) its grown on me even more. It is subtle which I like - I couldnt never be seen in a big blue subaru/evo with wings and parp-parp-parp exhausts I'd be too embarrassed. Love the 8P, interior is lovely - especially in dark with the light pack. Must admit I do like the look of the s-lines and that was on my list originally but it just wasnt an S3 and too many about. I see about 3 A3 s-lines and a handful of A4 s-lines on the way to work each morning (and its only 20 minutes away) but I've only seen 2 other S3's on the road in 6 months. By the way, the alloys are still a pig to clean, other than that it was definately the right decision and a huge improvement over the 8L, I still keenly look when I see one but they are looking dated now.

Off topic I know but I find the alloys easy to clean!

Not sure if it's anyting to do with the Protection Plan thingy ( or if they even do the wheels ) but I've been cleaning them with nothing but soap, water and a sponge and every last spec of brake grime comes off without even applying much pressure.

I have cleaned them practically every week since I got the car - hopefully the easy cleaning will continue!

Mind you it still takes a while as you have to get in-between all the spokes - maybe that's what you meant by a pain to clean?

Mike - yeh its mainly getting between the spokes thats the pain - lost count of the number of wheel cleaning tools I've bought to try and make it easy. Been using some Simonz brake dust repellant which is quite good.

Kef9 said:

Well these are the differences Audi provide over the A3 which obviously will include the 8L S3 too:

The power plant of the S3 delivers all that is expected of a powerful sports engine, and does so supremely well. The 2.0 TFSI, developed by AUDI AG, combines direct injection and turbocharger technology and delivers 195 kW (265 bhp) at 6,000 rpm. And at just 2,500 rpm it already musters up an impressive 350 Nm of torque – this pulling power remains constant up to 5,000 rpm. In the combined driving cycle the 2.0 TFSI displays another welcome character trait, consuming just 9.1 litres of fuel over 100 km – further proof of the forward-looking efficiency of TFSI technology developed by Audi.

Compared with the A3, this engine is an advanced version featuring fundamental changes. The new turbocharger with its enlarged turbine and compressor rotor generates 1.2 bar of boost pressure – an unusually high figure. A modified intercooler significantly lowers the temperature of the compressed air, thus increasing the air mass that is necessary for combustion.

The new high-performance TFSI engine features pistons with stronger pins, while strengthened connecting rods with new bearings transmit the powerful forces to the crankshaft. The cylinder block has been reinforced, and the head is made of a new, highly heat-resistant alloy.

The exhaust camshaft timing has been adjusted to accommodate the increased power output. High-pressure injectors with an enlarged cross-section squirt the fuel straight into the combustion chamber.

For all its progressive technology, the high-performance turbo engine tips the scales at just 152 kilograms, less than comparable engines of direct competitors – with a positive impact on the axle load distribution.

To go with its sporty nature and firm handling, the new Audi S3 has a six-speed, close-ratio manual gearbox. Gearshift travel has been reduced for the S3, permitting even sportier and more precise gear changes. As is the case for all
Audi S models, the new S3 drives all four wheels by means of quattro permanent four-wheel drive. An electronically controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch, positioned at the rear for the benefit of weight balance, distributes the torque as needed – delivering plenty of grip and maximum driving safety. All the drivetrain components have been strengthened to cope with the high level of engine torque.

In terms of handling, the Audi S3 exhibits all the qualities of a high-performance sports car; it responds immediately to steering movements and achieves high cornering speeds. The innately sophisticated suspension of the A3 – with subframes front and rear, triangulated lower wishbones at the front and four-link suspension at the rear – has been further refined.

The springs and shock absorbers have been given firmer ratings, with the result that the S3 sits 25 millimetres lower than an A3 with standard suspension. The pivot bearings and wishbones made from aluminium reduce the unsprung weight, further enhancing dynamic response and comfort. Stiffer suspension mounts and a sportier characteristic for the electromechanical steering provide even greater precision.

18-inch alloy wheels and 225/40 tyres ensure firm adhesion to the road surface. A 17-inch brake system with sports brake pads guarantees optimum deceleration; the black painted callipers bear the S3 logo at the front.

The extras also include a leather steering wheel with flat-bottomed rim and – in the quattro GmbH range – folding bucket seats. In the infotainment area, Audi is presenting a new generation of audio systems. The premium package is rounded off by universal interfaces for mobile phone and iPod, plus a sound system from Bose with eight high-performance speakers. Standard equipment includes deluxe automatic air conditioning, a driver information system with a new lap-timer function, and an anti-theft alarm. Front fog lights and xenon plus headlights with daytime running lights also underline the impressive price/performance ratio. The starting price of the 265 bhp Audi S3 in Germany is EUR 35,150.

JamS3 said:
18-inch alloy wheels and 225/40 tyres ensure firm adhesion to the road surface.

That's the same size as my poxy 140bhp diesel.
I'd have expected wider, with 100bhp more.
That doesn't help the 'S3 is different from the S-line' argument either, when the bleeding tyres are even the same size.
They should be fat as **** on the S3.