Formula 1 (2018 Chat Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's look at it differently, from a Constructor's point of view:

Hamilton was leading but Bottas was faster, on fresh rubber, and so was Raikkonen, on fresh rubber. Had Bottas overtaken Hamilton then Hamilton would have under direct pressure from Kimi, and most likely would have lost. Keeping Bottas in-between Hamilton and Raikkonen ensured 1st and 2nd positions for Mercedes, and that was better than 1st and 3rd.

Think Constructor's Championship and ToTo's decision makes sense. Think Driver's Championship and it doesn't. But it is the Constructor's Championship that earns the BIG $$$s. As said before I don't believe the Team is so bothered who wins but a 1, 2, does matter, lots!

I still think Hamilton should have had 10-seconds added for leaving the pit-entry lane, across the grass, and onto the race track. Had Grosjean done similar then I'm sure he'd have had a penalty and a 5-position grid place drop in Budapest.

For some reason Hamilton doesn't get penalties afforded, just a wee reprimand.

Reactions: Ozmosis, Sandra and martin1984
I really do think Toto would have told Lewis to hold P2 this weekend too, just because what’s gone on over the last few races, they can see Ferrari have now got the quicker car, and every point counts towards the constructor's championship.

This is spot on...

Hamilton was leading but Bottas was faster, on fresh rubber, and so was Raikkonen, on fresh rubber. Had Bottas overtaken Hamilton then Hamilton would have under direct pressure from Kimi, and most likely would have lost. Keeping Bottas in-between Hamilton and Raikkonen ensured 1st and 2nd positions for Mercedes, and that was better than 1st and 3rd
:icon thumright:

Reactions: Ozmosis
I really do think Toto would have told Lewis to hold P2 this weekend too, just because what’s gone on over the last few races, they can see Ferrari have now got the quicker car, and every point counts towards the constructor's championship.

This is spot on...

:icon thumright:

Alternatively, Ghost; if you'd just contracted driver 'A' with an 'X plus $' contract and driver 'B' with an 'X minus $' contract (note I'm using $ and not British taxable £s) and driver 'B' wins over driver 'A' then I guess that would need some explaining to those luvie Hamilton fans, and the Mercedes board of directors... :blink:

Alternatively, Ghost; if you'd just contracted driver 'A' with an 'X plus $' contract and driver 'B' with an 'X minus $' contract (note I'm using $ and not British taxable £s) and driver 'B' wins over driver 'A' then I guess that would need some explaining to those luvie Hamilton fans, and the Mercedes board of directors... :blink:

Mercedes have enough problems getting their drivers around the track, and working out when to or not to coming into the pits!!

:sos:
6349.gif

Reactions: martin1984, Ozmosis, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Maybe my view is totally different to others?

Mercedes and Lewis didn't 'Win' the German GP, Vettel 'lost' it for Ferrari.... The history books will always say how amazing Lewis won it from 14th on the grid though! I'm glad this race had some sort entertainment though irrespective of who won the race, I personally enjoyed watching most of it. :)

Reactions: Ghost
Maybe my view is totally different to others?

Mercedes and Lewis didn't 'Win' the German GP, Vettel 'lost' it for Ferrari.... The history books will always say how amazing Lewis won it from 14th on the grid though! I'm glad this race had some sort entertainment though irrespective of who won the race, I personally enjoyed watching most of it. :)

I'd agree with you that "Vettel 'lost' it for Ferrari", jojo, as he already has; but couldn't agree with you that "Lewis won it" as Bottas was told not to overtake him.

That Mercedes Team orders won it, most certainly.

Reactions: martin1984
I'd agree with you that "Vettel 'lost' it for Ferrari", jojo, as he already has; but couldn't agree with you that "Lewis won it" as Bottas was told not to overtake him.

Bottas had a go at Lewis, and Lewis had it covered, only that Bottas was told to hold P2 after his first attempt, don’t mean Lewis wouldn’t have it covered over the last few laps.

Remember Raikkonen was asked to let Vettel by too. :huh:

..but you right about Vettel ‘lost it’!! :racer:

Bottas had a go at Lewis, and Lewis had it covered, only that Bottas was told to hold P2 after his first attempt, don’t mean Lewis wouldn’t have it covered over the last few laps.

Remember Raikkonen was asked to let Vettel by too. :huh:

..but you right about Vettel ‘lost it’!! :racer:

Ferrari reasoning being strategy, Ghost, and Mercedes to save the cost of ballet lessons...
20.gif

Looked like Bottas didn’t need to slow down for Lewis today :)

Hope you seen channel 4 F1 program today.. nice little montage of Vettel loosing it under pressure?? :) :)

Hope you seen channel 4 F1 program today.. nice little montage of Vettel loosing it under pressure?? :) :)

Me thinks yer I
6759.gif
Lewis underpants are starting to show, Ghost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra and Ghost
Me thinks yer I
6759.gif
Lewis underpants are starting to show, Ghost.

My “l love Lewis underpants” aren’t as old as your “ I
6759.gif
Vettel underpants!!
:)

Reactions: Sandra and 45bvtc

Gotta make Hamilton popular somehow Ghost, the dogs didn't work...

My “l love Lewis underpants” aren’t as old as your “ I
6759.gif
Vettel underpants!!
:)

TRUE!!! :yahoo: Oh so TRUE - wearin' em now, Ghost, with holes in....

Love the fact that post race Seb goes home and cuts his lawn and/or repairs/rebuilds his motorbike, does the shopping, takes the kids to school, and stays well away from the celebrity "stuff" (would't allow me to use that more appropriate Scottish word )...

I note your mate no longer walks the dogs... What happened to them? A please 'make me a popular gesture' that wasn't 'a dog is for life', obviously. :sadlike:

Hope you've been following, daily, Le Tour, Ghost. With all the abuse, spit, urine, etc, 'some' and/or 'many' of the French, tsk, have thrown at the SKY team, Froome in particular, a home BRIT wins, and a Welshman born and bred at that: salut!!! Geraint Thomas.

For sure I'll be switching from SKY F1 GP coverage at 15.00 - whatever is happening on/off the track - to Eurosport at 15.00 and following the 'live' coverage of a Welshman wearing maillot jaune down the Champs Elise
10.gif

Just in case you've missed it:

Thomas

Back to subject:

GARAGE BLUEY P1010762 NALF

"Not A Lewis Fan"
e510.png

Last edited:
Reactions: martin1984 and Ghost
And don't forget my garage wall finger, Ghost:

The finger

As if more proof were needed... :yahoo:

Reactions: Sandra
Hope you've been following, daily, Le Tour, Ghost.
e510.png

Iv enjoyed watching the TDF for many years( on tv), and i go out and support the Tour of Britain when I can.
This year was dramatic and great to watch on tv.
I thought Geraint Could do it, if he was left to race for himself by Sky, and not just ride for Froome?

Maybe this asks the Question again, do we want teammates just there to support “the #1” or race for themselves?

I was disappointed but not surprised to hear Bottas signed up with Mercedes for 2019, he’s just not got what it takes to challenge Lewis or Vettel.

Hopefully Ricciardo will get to replace Kimi at Ferrari, but cannot see Vettel letting that happen.

I was disappointed but not surprised to hear Bottas signed up with Mercedes for 2019, he’s just not got what it takes to challenge Lewis or Vettel.

Hopefully Ricciardo will get to replace Kimi at Ferrari, but cannot see Vettel letting that happen.
Well that was another disappointing weekend verstappen let down again where reliability issues which will probably mean more penalties at some point only good thing was to see Ricardo racing as for him going to Ferrari with what's going on there nothing's going to be set in stone for a long time also hopefully force India well find a buyer and get some stability so another team doesn't drop out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What is it you don't see/hear/read, Ghost? Even Toto called it as is: "Mercedes F1 team boss Wolff called Bottas a "sensational wingman" for fending off the Ferraris allowing Lewis Hamilton to escape to victory at the Hungaroring"

Hasn't the Copilot set that ratty thing on fire, yet!?!?

Not yet, Mr.T., not yet: Seb's finger is "STILL" taking centre stage on the the TT/RS3copilot's (!) side of the garage wall: and flanked still by Chicago Cubs and Toronto Blue Jays; and I'm sure will remain so for some time to come:

Garage hands

Reactions: RCD6FC
I'm with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff earlier post British GP comment "that someone's doing something either ‘deliberate or incompetence’ here..."

Why? Tis interesting how Vettel locks up and slides into Bottas at the French GP and Vettel gets a penalty; and then Raikkonen locks up and slides into Hamilton at the British GP and Raikkonen gets a penalty.

But where Bottas slides into Vettel at the Hungarian GP Bottas gets no penalty; and then Bottas does the same to Ricciardo, and again no (worthwhile) penalty .

Yep, I think Toto maybe knows something that others are overlooking...
7072.gif

That the Mercedes drivers are getting a 'someones-charming-the-race-stewards' run...

Reactions: Ozmosis, martin1984 and Ghost
What is it you don't see/hear/read, Ghost? Even Toto called it as is: "Mercedes F1 team boss Wolff called Bottas a "sensational wingman" for fending off the Ferraris allowing Lewis Hamilton to escape to victory at the Hungaroring"

Just that @45bvtc , I don’t want to be watching any wingman for any team, not until maybe it’s down to the last few races.

....and please don’t tell me that Kimi isn’t Vettel’s wingman!! :haha:

I'm with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff earlier post British GP comment "that someone's doing something either ‘deliberate or incompetence’ here..."

Why? Tis interesting how Vettel locks up and slides into Bottas at the French GP and Vettel gets a penalty; and then Raikkonen locks up and slides into Hamilton at the British GP and Raikkonen gets a penalty.

But where Bottas slides into Vettel at the Hungarian GP Bottas gets no penalty; and then Bottas does the same to Ricciardo, and again no (worthwhile) penalty .

Yep, I think Toto maybe knows something that others are overlooking...
7072.gif

That the Mercedes drivers are getting a 'someones-charming-the-race-stewards' run...

Interesting that both of the collisions which resulted in Ferrari penalties were at the first corner after the start where I thought the stewards were supposed to allow a bit more leeway in terms of "racing incidents." Then again, if anyone out there can figure out the thought processes of an F1 steward with respect to consistency of punishment you'll be minted.

Reactions: Ozmosis, 45bvtc, Ghost and 1 other person
Interesting that both of the collisions which resulted in Ferrari penalties were at the first corner after the start where I thought the stewards were supposed to allow a bit more leeway in terms of "racing incidents." Then again, if anyone out there can figure out the thought processes of an F1 steward with respect to consistency of punishment you'll be minted.

Once I've figured the logarithm out for the stewards consistency, you'll find me on my yacht just after winning the Euro Millions!!

The crazy thing is there was no way Bottas was going to be able to defend with the age of his tyres. He even said that Ricciardo should have known they were shot and not attacked round the outside!! So that means, to me, it was almost deliberate.

Did anyone else see Ricciardo give Bottas the finger when he passed him next lap? And I don't mean like Vettel ;)

Reactions: RCD6FC and 45bvtc

....and please don’t tell me that Kimi isn’t Vettel’s wingman!! :haha:

Sounds like pure Brundleism, Ghost; Martin Brundle being anti-Schumacher/anti-Ferrari since 1992 and never fails to show it. Just Google it...

Schumacher Vettel

And don't forget 2016 when 'the wingman' actually 'WON' the F1 Championship...

Nico

Last edited:
You know I’m not anti-Ferrari or anti Vettel.

I’d love to see Ricciardo in Red next year, pushing Vettel and Lewis.

The point I’m making is, if there’s three top teams shouldn’t we see six top drivers racing for the title.

I know you will come back and tell me its the constructors that’s important, and not the drivers. ..But just look how many points Ferrari have lost this year trying to win for Vettel.

4EAAAB4A 9718 42C3 92EC 8D5FD6ADEDFF

:friends:

Reactions: 45bvtc
You know I’m not anti-Ferrari or anti Vettel.

I’d love to see Ricciardo in Red next year, pushing Vettel and Lewis.

The point I’m making is, if there’s three top teams shouldn’t we see six top drivers racing for the title.

I know you will come back and tell me its the constructors that’s important, and not the drivers. ..But just look how many points Ferrari have lost this year trying to win for Vettel.

View attachment 161796
:friends:

That's NOT funny, Ghost...

As you know I don't really care anyway - it ain't gonna change my life, so all for the FUN of it.

It's not like its football, that so called 'beautiful game' that people fight over, tsk... :footy:

Ricciardo will leave the Red Bull Formula 1 team at the end of the 2018 season, and will be joining Renault.

Good or bad move ?
5146.gif

Ricciardo will leave the Red Bull Formula 1 team at the end of the 2018 season, and will be joining Renault.

Good or bad move ?
5146.gif
Is this a joke surley thats going backwards

Must be bad move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 out of 10 to Ricciardo for making the move, about time; now get on with it... :racer:

I'd stipulate a 3-year max driver-contract - otherwise the car they drive just makes 'em look better than they are...

And I don't believe there's that much between any of the drivers at F1 level - put 'em in a Formula Ford and lets see...

And for example: "Mercedes Formula 1 junior George Russell ended the post-2018 Hungarian Grand Prix test with the fastest time and a new unofficial circuit lap record.

Russell's first day at the Hungaroring was compromised by a gearbox problem but he hit back with a 103-lap Wednesday and beat Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen to top spot.

Raikkonen led the way in the morning before he and Russell traded fastest times at the beginning of the afternoon.

Russell, the 2014 McLaren Autosport BRDC Award winner, first hit the summit with a 1m16.050s, which Raikkonen quickly toppled with a 1m15.805s.

But the Mercedes driver was able to improve again on hypersofts to a 1m15.575s to edge Antonio Giovinazzi's Tuesday benchmark by less than a tenth.

Russell's effort was almost 0.6 seconds faster than Sebastian Vettel's lap record, set last Saturday during FP3 for this year's grand prix.

Raikkonen appeared at the very end on hypersofts but fell 0.074s short of Russell with his last-gasp effort."

Interesting that Seb and Kimi stayed on to test! Such a shame shamilton (I like it Sandra; better than my NALF, but I'll hang onto mine for the time being and use yours as and when appropriate) don't like/doesn't do testing (leaving it to others, tsk), as would have been interesting seeing back to back.

Last edited:
Is this a joke surley thats going backwards

Must be bad move

Why do you guys still think it's the driver? Look at Alonso, 2 x F1 champion, now in a McLaren.

ALL F1 drivers should make a TEAM change, every 3-years, period.

Ricciardo's move is certainly going to be an interesting one. I'm guessing he's hoping Renault can get back up the front with the (still not yet confirmed!) engine and aero rule changes in 2021... Will be interesting to see how Hulk compares. He certainly hasn't disappointed against Sainz...

Now what happens to Sainz? I have a feeling he may be going to McLaren, maybe Alonso will say "enough". Just my speculation though...

Why do you guys still think it's the driver? Look at Alonso, 2 x F1 champion, now in a McLaren.

ALL F1 drivers should make a TEAM change, every 3-years, period.
well yes he is always going to be number 2 driver with max in the team so can see the annoyance with that but at the other end red bull are made leaps in moving forward and have taken him with them.
Also i hope its nothing to do with money that ive read about.

10 out of 10 to Ricciardo for making the move, about time; now get on with it... :racer:
I'd stipulate a 3-year max driver-contract - otherwise the car they drive just makes 'em look better than they are...

Great post John, :icon thumright: i like Russell and hope to see him somewhere in F1 next year...

Driving for McLaren maybe, when Alonso goes to Red Bull?

i like Russell and hope to see him somewhere in F1 next year...

Driving for McLaren maybe, when Alonso goes to Red Bull?

Why not Mercedes, Ghost? Russell has just demonstrated to be quicker than the current pair.

Last edited:
Why not Mercedes, Ghost? Russell has just demonstrated to be quicker than the current pair.
love to have seen him at Mercedes, but the seats been taken for 2019.

love to have seen him at Mercedes, but the seats been taken for 2019.

But think of the $s cost saving of a quicker, faster, and younger driver without the baggage, tears, and grump...

Nando retires

Status
Not open for further replies.