Found rust on your roof?

i hope it doesnt take them 3weeks when i take mine in on the 22nd! Westle:how much did they charge etc for the bonnet, bumper, and grill? Looks like a good job and i do like the grill. Keep it!

My job was done privately because Audi wouldn't touch it because they said it had been sprayed previously.

I paid a mate of a mate to do front bumper, grill, and roof rust, all for £200 and it was done in 4 days :icon_thumright: (sorry to rub it in!)

The spray work is good but could be better (i'm a perfectionist) but once i've machine polished the whole lot it'll look mint.

same old story with mine. Found the paint bubbling on the roof of my s3.
popped it to Listers Audi in Coventry. Assessor chap was nice as pie, he took the obligatory pictures of the problem areas but also took paint depth tests. I know that the car has had paint work before( very good job carried out) However I knew he'd see depth differences. He openly admitted that in current climate Audi Are tightening their belt on warranty paint claims and as mine had seen paint it may get rejected, however he said you never know and they may honour it. Fingers crossed though as I dont really want to be shelling out for paintwork at the mo.

:unsure:

just reminding members that the rust starts in the weld under the roofrails and works up.... regards

Got the reply back from Audi, they've rejected the warranty claim (not on the preivious paint work carried out) but on the fact that the rust spots have been there for a while and not been reported. not a lot I could do only having the car for 3 weeks. I told the rep this and he said that when I bought the car Audi class that as sold as seen? feel a bit mugged off. To rub salt in the wounds he quoted me to do the work, spray both upper rear quarters and roof,

£830 + VAT.

NOT HAPPY:mad:

I have a feeling thats what audi are going to tell us. Weve only had our car about 2 weeks and its quite bad.

Would be interesting to see a list of excuses that audi have used to not due this under warranty.

When i went to Preston Audi the guy who i dealt with was the fella in charge of servicing and repairs. He said it doesn't matter how long you have had the car the corrosion warranty is on the car. The only thing he looked for was to make sure the blistering was coming from underneath the paint and that a paint job hadnt been done.

Well Reading Audi have had my S3 for coming up to 3 weeks now and all this time I've been driving a chevy kalos (not good) I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll report on how it looks. I have had the bumpers painted as well so fingers crossed for a mint finish.

cheers

Brian

Im looking at getting my front bumper and bonnet done at the same time but i dont want to be driving a courtesy car for very long! a week is enough for me lol

Has anybody who has had their warranty claim refused under the "been there too long" excuse actually got anywhere with Audi UK? Just had mine refused and had a protracted but fruitless discussion with Audi customer service about it (they can't alter warranty decisions made by Audi themselves).

Any point trying again at another dealer (I took mine to Birmingham Audi)?

What are the options otherwise, as can't afford to have this done at the mo. What's the worst case scenario if leaving it?

Bit of a lottery this - and an utter disgrace that they are weedling out of perfectly valid warranty claims.

Has anybody who has had their warranty claim refused under the "been there too long" excuse actually got anywhere with Audi UK? Just had mine refused and had a protracted but fruitless discussion with Audi customer service about it (they can't alter warranty decisions made by Audi themselves).

What are the options otherwise, as can't afford to have this done at the mo. What's the worst case scenario if leaving it?

Bit of a lottery this - and an utter disgrace that they are weedling out of perfectly valid warranty claims.

Was it Birmingham Audi in Shirley on the Stratford Road? (the newish one). They did my car no questions asked 18 months ago.

T

Mate if I was you i'd go round all the dealers till one of them accepts it. The reason they have a 12 year paint warrenty is because Audi are so confident that their cars wont rust. It shouldn't matter how long you've had the rust for, especially if you've just purchased the car! Try another dealer, they all seem to be different reading through the posts on this thread.

It's good to see so many people that have had good fortune with their warrant claims.
Anyone been to Stafford or Stoke Audi with these issues?

Was it Birmingham Audi in Shirley on the Stratford Road? (the newish one). They did my car no questions asked 18 months ago.

T

Birmingham Audi Shirley (they're one and the same i think), they asked me to go to the Shirley site.

The thing that ****** me off is that looking above in the thread Westle's bubbling which was approved appears far more extensive.

Mate if I was you i'd go round all the dealers till one of them accepts it. The reason they have a 12 year paint warrenty is because Audi are so confident that their cars wont rust. It shouldn't matter how long you've had the rust for, especially if you've just purchased the car! Try another dealer, they all seem to be different reading through the posts on this thread.

Won't audi have a record of my original request and just refuse it on the same basis? The dealer said they recommended the work to audi but it was refused. I'm willing to take it to another 'friendly' dealer if there are no records of my recent attempt.

I've had the car 5 years but only just noticed the bubbling, and took it in within 2 weeks of noticing it.

Right, this is the situation im in, this is why i started this topic. I was first rejected by audi because the rust had been there too long. i have taken it to 2 audi garages since and have had no reply from either. i can only assume that once they submit the claim, they are told by audi that it has already been rejected and to that they should just dismiss it. It is very fustrating because soo many people have had the work carried out succesfully by Audi.

I have come to the conclusion that im going to get no luck and that im just going to get the job quoted by a few independant garges and get few other things done at the same time.

what would be good is if this topic could be stickied, so that other 8L driver could be made aware of this fault and alert audi asap, so that they cant keep getting away with this excuse.

Birmingham Audi Shirley (they're one and the same i think), they asked me to go to the Shirley site.

The thing that ****** me off is that looking above in the thread Westle's bubbling which was approved appears far more extensive.

Its ridiculous. perhaps an email to Audi directing them to this thread would be an idea. Theres no continuity to what they're saying which leaves huge holes in their customer service.

I'd be ****** livid if I was in your situation, for what is a HUGE company that relies quite heavily on sales they're not doing much to get repeat business from current Audi owners.

Its a ****** outrage really.

Mine was refused mate because there had been paint work done to the rear quarter by a non-approved Audi garage. I was unaware of this when I bought the car so I was quite shocked. I had to pay for the work on my car.

Perhaps some sort of online pertition should be made where people can sign up and as mentioned early on notifiying the tv program watchdog..... i'm sure the last thing Audi want in the current climate is bad publicity.... i wonder how A3's fair in countries with worse climate's than our own

When i spoke to audi customer service i did say that i would be gathering together all the people who have had work carried out. I sarted this thread purely for this reason, if you check my first post i did try and start a list of people who have had work done and people who have been rejected, but it didn't really get off the ground though.

When i spoke to audi customer service i did say that i would be gathering together all the people who have had work carried out. I sarted this thread purely for this reason, if you check my first post i did try and start a list of people who have had work done and people who have been rejected, but it didn't really get off the ground though.

Guys I'm going to do this. Will start another thread to ask for specific details from people who have been approved, and those who have been rejected, and will then forward to Watchdog and trading standards.

Give me a bit and i'll try to do this later in the day. Can't do any harm. I'll post on other sites as well (Tyresmoke, ?? anywhere else?).

cheers

I had my roof rust repaired under warranty last year (its a 2001 model).

I now have problem call 'Zinc Inclusion' on the lower part of the doors. These look like small patches of rust bubbling up underneath the paint. Audi rejected this citing 'outside influence' and gave no further details. The Audi approved body shop I showed it to said they had repaired plenty of these under warranty. It seems VW/Audi are rejecting many of these on older vehicles, leaving the onus on the owner to challenge it. I was given the option to get an independent inspection by a company called PVWI and pay £100 which would be reimbursed if the decision went against Audi. I did not go for it as I do not trust their independence. How do I know that they are not influenced by VW/Audi?

One of top Warranty people at VW UK is Andy Sargent, perhaps directing a campaign towards him is an idea.

I have this rust problem too on my A3 1998. It's half way along the roofline on drivers side and just start on the passenger side. I will be taking to Audi sometime soon to see what they say. I've only owned the car for 18months. Should have checked this out sooner really but just getting round to it now.

Hello All.

I got my S3 back this morning from Reading Audi. It turns out they took the weather strips off the roof and both sides were rusting although only one side was visible. So they painted the roof and blended the rear quarters in also. I also had the bonnet and bumpers done and it looks like they painted the front end as it looks fantastic. I'm really pleased they took their time about the job as the car looks mint now. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. Reading Audi get the thumbs up from me.

Thanks

Brian

Hello All.

I got my S3 back this morning from Reading Audi. It turns out they took the weather strips off the roof and both sides were rusting although only one side was visible. So they painted the roof and blended the rear quarters in also. I also had the bonnet and bumpers done and it looks like they painted the front end as it looks fantastic. I'm really pleased they took their time about the job as the car looks mint now. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. Reading Audi get the thumbs up from me.

Thanks

Brian

How long did it take them to do the work on your car? Audi have had my car for 3 weeks now!

Please see other thread titled "anti-corrosion warranty results" and post your details there.

Many thanks,

Hello,

It took them just under 3 weeks so I wouldnt worry too much.

Thanks

brian

If anyone has pictures of the rust BEFORE repair, post them up either here or the warranty topic. It would be interesting to see whats been repaired and whats been refused.

If anyone has pictures of the rust BEFORE repair, post them up either here or the warranty topic. It would be interesting to see whats been repaired and whats been refused.

Agreed - i'll get some pics of mine up (which has been refused).

And once again - if you've posted in this thread about your warranty work and haven't done so in the sticky "anti-corrision" thread could you please do so?

Cheers,

B.

Hello All,

Reading audi took three weeks just about to fix my car. I had the bumpers and tail gate done at the same time and by the time audi finished repairing the rust on both sides of the roof they had repainted the whole car minus one door. The car really does look like new now and I'm really pleased with the perfect finish.

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

cheers

Brian

brian, cars looks awesome mate. Looks new!
Mine has gone into HB panelcraft today and i was issued a 1.2 58reg red skoda fabia,its horrible. So basic, so girly! They quoted me £400 cash for respray on bonnet and front bumper. I though it would be cheaper so i dont think im goin ahead with it, probably sort out the suspension next. What do you think of this quote?

Got my car back today from Chingford Audi after 3 weeks, they painted the roof, and blended into the rear quarters, they also polished out an annoying scuff mark on the side of the car.

I really can't see the repair they did a really good job.
Got my car booked into my bodyshop for next week to get my bumpers smoothed and painted.

When its all done i'll throw my new wheels on and get some pics up!

Wes

Got my car back today from Chingford Audi after 3 weeks, they painted the roof, and blended into the rear quarters, they also polished out an annoying scuff mark on the side of the car.

I really can't see the repair they did a really good job.
Got my car booked into my bodyshop for next week to get my bumpers smoothed and painted.

When its all done i'll throw my new wheels on and get some pics up!

Wes

Nice one mate, you got further with chingford audi then i did. Good too see that its not just about the dealership you go to.

Hello Cambell,

Yes I am very pleased with the car. One other thing I did at the same time was replace the seal around the beesting roof antena. My seal was looking horrible and cracking so I followed the other thread on here and bought one of those base seals of ebay for £3 from seller car-masts-uk-shop. Replaced the dilapidated old one and I got a new last at the same time and it looks great now.

IMG_2992.jpg

£200 a panel seems a bit steap, I wouldnt pay it. I was shocked when reading audi asked for £100 per panel on top of the warranty work (I expect they pocket the cash and charge audi) so it seems a good opportunity to get all the little niggles sorted out at the same time. It could be reading audi have technicians stood about doing nothing....

Cheers

Brian

I couldnt believe it when they said £400 for bonnet and front bumper respray. Surely they could charge audi that little bit extra fot eh warranty work and take it off the cost of the extra work i want doing ha ha.

I asked for more disocunt and they dropped to £375 but still its too expensive. Its a shame because i know it would finish the car off nicely

been reading these threads, i guess some people are lucky others not so. me ive got a 2001 a3 t sport, had it about a year and became aware of the rust patch in the roof and on piller.took it to my local audi dealership at hatfield, then to their approved body shop, who quoted £1780 to repair! funnily enough audi uk said no way!! well cheesed off to say the least. apparently i have left the corrosion for to long!it seems that if the repair bill is around £600-700 mark audi uk stump up for it anything more and tough. bit that ticks me off tho,having started to research this i have only recently been aware of the 12 year anti corosion warranty but i am going to take it up with audi uk, maybe audi germany!

I just contacted our local Audi dealer after taking them the car just over two weeks ago. Still no decision, i said i'd leave it until the end of the week and call them again.

Had a call today to let me know both claims have been refused, one for the roof rails and one for the bottom of the rear quarter panel just infront on the rear wheel.

Reason: Not noticed soon enough.

I think the fact i'd only had the car a couple of weeks had a bearing on their decision. If you've only had the car a short time, try to avoid telling them if possible.

I accept the roof has been left a long time before contacting audi, but the rear quarter is JUST noticeable and i dont think their decision of left too long is justifiable.

We've also noticed it bubbling on the opposite side, so were going back again to show them. Not holding out for a good decision tho :(