Frameless rearview mirror retrofit

circle

A3 8V misano red
Reaction score
Has anyone retrofitted a frameless mirror in their pre facelift a3 and knows part numbers/what the procedure is like start to finish?

I have a 2015 sportback with the most basic possible mirror, no autodimming or electronic functions at all but I want to swap it for a frameless oem audi one. I believe the part number is 81a857511g as I've seen on another thread but so far am unable to ascertain whether I can just pop it or or will need to buy an additional housing and so on

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance !

Hi, I did this retrofit a few weeks ago and wrote a short guide for another ASN member, send me your email by pm and I'll send it to you.

Reactions: circle
Hi, I did this retrofit a few weeks ago and wrote a short guide for another ASN member, send me your email by pm and I'll send it to you.

Why don't you post it on the forum? I can make it a sticky.

Reactions: circle and JohnM100
I bought a basic frameless auto dip mirror part number 81A8575119B9. I’ve fitted it to the screen of my 2017 S3 but not wired it yet. I got a couple of plugs with pins from aliexpress so will get it done soon. I think I read somewhere I needed a six pin plug but looking at mine it was an 8 pin. I think a positive supply and earth are all I need and I have the sunroof so may see if I can find those in the consol above the mirror.

Reactions: circle
I bought a basic frameless auto dip mirror part number 81A8575119B9. I’ve fitted it to the screen of my 2017 S3 but not wired it yet. I got a couple of plugs with pins from aliexpress so will get it done soon. I think I read somewhere I needed a six pin plug but looking at mine it was an 8 pin. I think a positive supply and earth are all I need and I have the sunroof so may see if I can find those in the consol above the mirror.
Did the original plastic housing where it mounts to the windscreen fit the new mirror?

Yes, its only on the one with a camera in it you have to change the housing

Be nice to know if the frameless mirror fits the same "ball" on the end of the standard mirror mount, so those of us that don't want to do a full auto-dimming retrofit, but just want the nicer looking mirror (lets face it, the small oval mirror in the PFL is rubbish) could just pop the frameless one onto our existing mount

The mirror will have wires running into it and have to pass through the ball. It will fix to the windscreen mount though quite easily. The only thing is there won’t be a way to dip the mirror other than manually tilting it as it can only dip electronically

Retrofitted the framless mirror with camera to my prefacelift saloon and had no issues other than needed to make a wiring harness.

Reactions: Chell85
Retrofitted the framless mirror with camera to my prefacelift saloon and had no issues other than needed to make a wiring harness.
@Gazpot0111645 …. Hi there my name is Chell, can you please tell me how to make the wiring/harness, I have retrofitted this myself and wondered why it isn't working, haha that would be because i have no power going to it, I also wondered why my leaving home/coming home lights do not work either after retrofitting them too but again i only put a new light switch with auto position and then the rain and light sensor and the mirror itself..... Nothing is working and i really need help, i have vcds but clearly have not done it correctly, i have also installed power folding mirrors and all the necessary parts like door modules, bezel, wing mirrors and coded but still nothing. can you help at all. or make me a harness or point me in the right direction of how to make one, i dont mind paying someine, i just want my baby sorted,
Thanks in advance, anyone can jump on the and help...... pleaese

@Gazpot0111645 …. Hi there my name is Chell, can you please tell me how to make the wiring/harness, I have retrofitted this myself and wondered why it isn't working, haha that would be because i have no power going to it, I also wondered why my leaving home/coming home lights do not work either after retrofitting them too but again i only put a new light switch with auto position and then the rain and light sensor and the mirror itself..... Nothing is working and i really need help, i have vcds but clearly have not done it correctly, i have also installed power folding mirrors and all the necessary parts like door modules, bezel, wing mirrors and coded but still nothing. can you help at all. or make me a harness or point me in the right direction of how to make one, i dont mind paying someine, i just want my baby sorted,
Thanks in advance, anyone can jump on the and help...... pleaese

Sorry did not see your reply. Have you got it sorted? Feel free to PM me.

Can someone tell me for sure if i can retrofit frameless rearview mirror on 2014 A3 prefacelift 8v version. I have rearview mirror with frame and with photonsensitive auto dimming and i want to put a facelift version with dimming. Is it possible just to remove this one and put a new one? Thanks!