From A5 to A1 buying advice

AJ91

Reaction score
So after many thoughts I've decided to look into getting an A1 instead of my massive A5 as I live in the city now and its just annoying to have a big car right now due to parking spaces etc.

Now I need some advice.

I'm pretty sure I can almost make a straight swap for my 11 A5 SB with low mileage for a pretty new A1.

Obviously I want the S-line exterior package and inside preferably with the black interior.

Should I get the 2 door or 4 door version? What Engine to get as well for most reliability? Heard the 1.4 tfsi on older models, scirocco etc is really bad with the chain stretchers but maybe its better now? also does it drink oil? I really dont want to get the 105 TDI one as its slow, would prefer 185hp petrol.

Are you happy with yours even when you drive longer journeys?

The 185 can suffer from oil drinking missfires if you can find a 1.4 CoD 140/150bhp then it's a safer option they did offer a 2.0 tdi

Ah I see.. TDI 105 or a TFSI 1.4 with the 122bhp then?

I'm looking at MY 11-13 at the moment.

I had a 2012 sport 122 for 3 years it's been faultless

Go for the 185bhp twin charge version, an amazing machine.

Yes, some of the early engines did suffer high oil consumption but most, including mine, had a brand new engine fitted and mine now doesn't require top-up between services:

P1030554mod

We've a ragtop TT (2.0 DSG quattro) and an RS3 and this machine gets used more... :superman: Way more smiles per mile...

Reactions: AJ91
also does it drink oil? I really dont want to get the 105 TDI one as its slow, would prefer 185hp petrol.

Are you happy with yours even when you drive longer journeys?

1) Here's what I found out when buying mine and still bought it: the issue with this 185bhp engine related to early examples having excessive lubricating oil use i.e., 1-litre/750-miles or so and this resulted in Audi UK/GmbH replacing a number of engines; these engines had the designation 'CAVE.' This 'CAVE' engine was then revised (improved crankcase breather) and became the 'CTHE' engine. The 'CTHE' engine was used in A1 production from late 2012.

Mine, with 8 January 2013 build date, had a complete replacement engine in October 2013 at 8000 miles - as it was then using 1 litre of Castrol Edge 5W30 per 1000 miles.

2) Very happy when driving longer journeys, it's a cracking car and we'll be keeping it for sometime.

OP asked the question about 3 or 5 door. The wife has just had a new Polo and we went for a 5 door as the 3 door, like most 3 door cars is more difficult to get out of in tight parking spaces due to the length of the doors.

Thanks everyone.

Will get the Sportback 2013 and up with the 1.4tfsi with low mileage so if it drinks oil ill just sort it via warranty! Just hope I can find the right colour with S-line ext/int

Looking to purchase next summer.