Front Bumper Relocation.

Stuart Taylor

Reaction score
Hello,

Earlier today I reversed out of my parking space a heard the front bumper drag along the pavement and kerb. After hearing this, I stopped the car and went to have a look at the bumper and found that it had been pulled forward quite a bit. Looking at it, the bumper had been pulled out of the side clips and what ever there is underneath the bumper That fixes it in place. I tried to push it back in place but it would not move.
Can anyone advise how to get it back in place as right now it looks a mess and the police would spot it a mile off.

Pictures show current bumper situation.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• F187A1AE-9C97-4128-8AD5-0171D7E196FB.jpeg
    F187A1AE-9C97-4128-8AD5-0171D7E196FB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 96
  • 2C78DCEE-02E0-4059-8BD7-A88CCEC801D1.jpeg
    2C78DCEE-02E0-4059-8BD7-A88CCEC801D1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 84
  • 0359489C-F896-4FFA-9C01-669D17EC692F.jpeg
    0359489C-F896-4FFA-9C01-669D17EC692F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 579BC9EB-8B23-4662-A487-FD0C3A10254D.jpeg
    579BC9EB-8B23-4662-A487-FD0C3A10254D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • 76AB1FB1-F258-4A08-8F13-95A95B66DD83.jpeg
    76AB1FB1-F258-4A08-8F13-95A95B66DD83.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 5142D4EA-7B05-40A6-8CA8-FF92D63AFDCF.jpeg
    5142D4EA-7B05-40A6-8CA8-FF92D63AFDCF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
That is not ideal chap.
Ideally, id be removing it completely and assessing the damage to the mounting points etc and then refitting a fresh.
If you don't have the time then you may be able to force it back into a better position as a temp fix.
The front has two adjustable upstands (circled in pic) which hold the front on either side of the grille, the bumper needs to go back onto the bobbins which may or maynot work depending on how well it was adjusted fixed in the past.
The lower sides just push into the wheel arch lower edge (arrowed) but the vertical edge ( as in Pic) is bolted to the front edge of the wheel arch, the bumper has the bolts threaded section and nuts are used from within the wheel arch to hold in place.
I suspect they have been sheared of or pulled out of the bumper so that will need addressing but you should be able to get it pushed back into the lower snaap fitting still and gently see if you can push the fronts back into the bobbins behind either side of the grill.
You may need to loosen off the grill and bobbins to get it back into place.
The undertray is also held onto the base of the bumper so you'll need to check there too, it's doable for an emergency fix.

Sline3 LI
Sline1 LI

Unfortunately you've snapped it of the wing fixings, you'll need to plastic weld them back in place, but they're a real pain to do with any longevity, topfix is good but having owned a B6 aka B7, same fixing type, it maybe better to replace

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I feel your pain.
My missus ripped ours off by repeatedly parking over kerbs.
We went through the insurance and had a new bumper fixed up by a body shop.

That is not ideal chap.
Ideally, id be removing it completely and assessing the damage to the mounting points etc and then refitting a fresh.
If you don't have the time then you may be able to force it back into a better position as a temp fix.
The front has two adjustable upstands (circled in pic) which hold the front on either side of the grille, the bumper needs to go back onto the bobbins which may or maynot work depending on how well it was adjusted fixed in the past.
The lower sides just push into the wheel arch lower edge (arrowed) but the vertical edge ( as in Pic) is bolted to the front edge of the wheel arch, the bumper has the bolts threaded section and nuts are used from within the wheel arch to hold in place.
I suspect they have been sheared of or pulled out of the bumper so that will need addressing but you should be able to get it pushed back into the lower snaap fitting still and gently see if you can push the fronts back into the bobbins behind either side of the grill.
The undertray is also held onto the base of the bumper so you'll need to check there too, it's doable for an emergency fix.

View attachment 245752View attachment 245753
That is not ideal chap.

View attachment 245752View attachment 245753
Ok, thank you. I am visiting a body shop on Monday to let them see the car and provide a quote. Depending on the cost I’ll either book it in to have work done or have to go through the car insurance if it’s a high quote.
Ill post and update next week.

If the side fixings are broken off the bumper then it will not be a cost effective repair as they never hold .
Just get yourself a good used s-line bumper and have a bodyshop repaint and fit it, otherwise you be stung for a new bumper at cost + repainting and labour etc.

If the side fixings are broken off the bumper then it will not be a cost effective repair as they never hold .
Just get yourself a good used s-line bumper and have a bodyshop repaint and fit it, otherwise you be stung for a new bumper at cost + repainting and labour etc.
Yes, I checked the bumper today and all the mounting points for it at the front of the wheel arch have broken off. I’ll have to go through the insurance and let them write the car off.

A good used s-line bumper won't cost you much , have a word with a local bodyshop for a deal to repaint it and fit, really won't cost too much that way.

look up you car paint code and do an ebay & facebook marketplace search, you'd be surprised at the amount of b7's being broken up these days and numerous colours out there to.
Seems a bit harsh to write it off just for a bumper repair.

Last edited:
look up you car paint code and do an ebay & facebook marketplace search, you'd be surprised at the amount of b7's being broken up these days and numerous colours out there to.
Seems a bit harsh to write it off just for a bumper repair.
I had a look at bumpers to price them But the painting cost and fitting is high. Today I was out getting an estimate repair and while doing so both front headlights mounting brackets along with most bumper mounting brackets being broken We’re picked up by the estimator. My head lights are aftermarket with DRL’s in them. Truth be told, along with the coolant loss I’m getting at present, broken drivers door loom wiring having a break in it so no electric windows, mirrors or central locking and also damp in the car causing mould to keep coming up in white specks no matter how much I clean it up, to me it’s best to let the car get written off as I’m too old for the hassle now.

Time to say goodbye to it then.
It is. But I have to say that with it only being the 140 BHP model it really did impress me with its ability on the road. It really was a good car until all the problems arose then the bumper damage. I will be sad to see it go.

Ok, my insurance quote for just a external visual inspection and does not include for internal body damage came in at £1,727.63 including VAT but not any additional costs found when the bumper is removed. Would this kind of repair quote make the insurer repair the car or write it off due to age. It’s registered as 2008, but it’s a 2007 model.

Given the cars resale value , I suspect it would be a non viable repair, thorough the insurance , but that said the insurance company you use would tell you straight away either way.
If it were me , and I’m of a very hands on nature , I’d get the parts used , get them painted up properly then fit myself.
But if one is not that way inclined you are at the mercy of other tradesmen and the cost that goes with it.
Ultimate question would be, what’s the car worth to you?

A good used bumper with small bits could be had for a couple pounds, a paint job probably another £200 and an hours fitting.
I’d be very surprised if you had to spend more than £500 tops all done.

I have seen s-line bumpers in excellent condition sell for less than £100 recently, make the repair bill much more bearable.

Unfortunately I’m no longer able to work on cars like I used to due to I’ll health. The value I stated was market value which varies enormously and will be dictated by the insurance company. Right now I’m in the hands of the gods.

Your options are very limited then, if the car is worth keeping from your perspective then its a repair job at whatever cost you have been quoted.
If not then it’s a sell up job I’m afraid

Any good?....

plus some headlights for £50 and should be good to go....
About £250 all in plus an hour or 2 in labour....

Mike

I'd let the insurance company write it off. Chances are any buy back cost will be notuch more than scrap value in this case. Buy it back then sell it on {insert auction site name here} for a decent profit. Even as it is, you should get at least £1k for it at auction as it's a cosmetic repair and the other bits aren't too difficult to sort out.

I'd let the insurance company write it off. Chances are any buy back cost will be notuch more than scrap value in this case. Buy it back then sell it on {insert auction site name here} for a decent profit. Even as it is, you should get at least £1k for it at auction as it's a cosmetic repair and the other bits aren't too difficult to sort out.
The biggest problem I would have is parking it on the street. Would require road tax and insurance to cover the car legally. I’d rather get rid of the car and start afresh.

Ok, my insurance quote for just a external visual inspection and does not include for internal body damage came in at £1,727.63 including VAT but not any additional costs found when the bumper is removed. Would this kind of repair quote make the insurer repair the car or write it off due to age. It’s registered as 2008, but it’s a 2007 model.

Bloomin Eck!
I take it you only got the one quote?

I had my replaced with all new parts, and painted for roughly £480 a couple of years back, all done through insurance.

Bloomin Eck!
I take it you only got the one quote?

I had my replaced with all new parts, and painted for roughly £480 a couple of years back, all done through insurance.
No, I had 2 quotes which between them both were approx £1,800.00.
Then I have to go to the insurance companies approved repair company for a quote. I was never advised cost quoted.
They then decided to write the car off which I accepted.
I then bought a 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero TTiD4 For a very good price.