Front diff oil?

VeeFource

Reaction score
Hi all,

My S1 has a a very small amount of oil collecting under the front transfer case but the transfer case itself doesn't seem to have lost any oil at all and it's way too clean to be engine oil. My local Audi dealership advised it could be from the front diff which also has it's own oil and is the same type as the transfer case but from what I can see the diff is in the gearbox cavity so would just share the transmission oil. Can anyone confirm this for sure please so I know whether to get transmission oil to try topping up the gearbox?

There's info on other forums about topping up the front diff oil for Golf R's & S3's etc but I think they've got confused because all their pics are showing only the front transfer case fill/drain ports.

For anyone else having this quandary, I went back to the Audi dealership about the diff being part of the gearbox and sure enough they agreed it's not separate. So all the posts out there about topping up the front diff oil are false and they're really talking about the transfer box, at least on the MQ350 gearboxes anyway. For reference the S1's gearbox is an MQ350 0A8 PRY.

Turns out the oil leak is from the cam cover gasket anyway so at least the car's not been low on any kind of oil due to it.