Front Matrix LED Light Cluster fogging

wizzywig27

Reaction score
Does anyone else's front LED Light Cluster fog up? I collected the new car on Saturday and Sunday went to clean it (already filthy due to M1). I noticed the light cluster was fogging up on the inside. I took photos.

I spoke to Audi who advised this should not be happening so contacted the dealer. He said 'You normally find that the moisture in the lights burns off as you drive them around for a few days. If not, the other option is to park the car inside over night and leave the lights on to burn off the moisture.' and asked me to drive it for a few days, a follow up email then said 'It is sometimes down to the cold weather but generally when the car is driven regularly the lights don’t mist up.'

I am not sure if he is saying there should be some moisture to start off with which will then burn off or the moisture will come and go and I need to drive it often to stop it happening.

I checked yesterday and the moisture is still there, it happens on a wet/damp day (as most days are this time of the year) and the engine is warm, causing moisture build up.

Soon though I will have water run marks on the inside which I will obviously be unable to clean.

Does anyone else's front LED Light Cluster fog up? I collected the new car on Saturday and Sunday went to clean it (already filthy due to M1). I noticed the light cluster was fogging up on the inside. I took photos.

I spoke to Audi who advised this should not be happening so contacted the dealer. He said 'You normally find that the moisture in the lights burns off as you drive them around for a few days..
Do LED lights get hot enough to burn off moisture?

They all fog up at this time of year headlight is warm via heat from the engine add in that the exterior air temperature is a lot cooler ....not rocket science
Headlights have moisture dissipation outlets ...built in,you do complain a lot

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

They all fog up at this time of year headlight is warm via heat from the engine add in that the exterior air temperature is a lot cooler ....not rocket science
Headlights have moisture dissipation outlets ...built in,you do complain a lot

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
Damn right I do, especially when I am paying 35k for a car.

Thanks for the science lesson there Albert. Would you care to explain what I do when the condensation build up causes it to turn to water, that water then runs down the inside of my headlights leaving a mark which is uncleanable - I appreciate to you that probably isn't rocket science either, but to me it does seem obvious I wont be able to clean them.

Funny you mention that 'all' fog up - just a few things issues with the comment, my old GTI LED headlights DIDN'T fog up, the gf's A1 LED headlights DON'T fog up, my old A3 8Y LED headlights DIDN'T fog up, my old shape A3 LED headlights DIDN'T fog up, the gf's old GTI LED headlights DIDN'T fog up....that's just a few examples. I look forward to the next science lesson explaining why some do and some don't - or even how ALL do, when all of my previous cars haven't.

Oh, one last thing, who do I believe, Albert, or Audi who make the cars? Audi told me this shouldn't be happening and when I spoke to the dealer he didn't say it was normal! Strange that every car I have had has been in the VAG group and not one has fogged up. yet this one does and its the 'norm' - on this basis all my other cars were faulty. Give your head a shake pal!

Last edited:
Reactions: demirkapi and Mryolon
Just took delivery of my S5 with matrix lights, also noticed condensation/mist on the headlights after driving.

Google it, and you'll find its pretty normal for matrix lights, something to do with the lower temperature they emit or something. don't really know.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Just took delivery of my S5 with matrix lights, also noticed condensation/mist on the headlights after driving.

Google it, and you'll find its pretty normal for matrix lights, something to do with the lower temperature they emit or something. don't really know.
I put a link in a post above saying exactly this.:thumbs up:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Damn right I do, especially when I am paying 35k for a car.

Thanks for the science lesson there Albert. Would you care to explain what I do when the condensation build up causes it to turn to water, that water then runs down the inside of my headlights leaving a mark which is uncleanable - I appreciate to you that probably isn't rocket science either, but to me it does seem obvious I wont be able to clean them.

Funny you mention that 'all' fog up - just a few things issues with the comment, my old GTI LED headlights DIDN'T fog up, the gf's A1 LED headlights DON'T fog up, my old A3 8Y LED headlights DIDN'T fog up, my old shape A3 LED headlights DIDN'T fog up, the gf's old GTI LED headlights DIDN'T fog up....that's just a few examples. I look forward to the next science lesson explaining why some do and some don't - or even how ALL do, when all of my previous cars haven't.

Oh, one last thing, who do I believe, Albert, or Audi who make the cars? Audi told me this shouldn't be happening and when I spoke to the dealer he didn't say it was normal! Strange that every car I have had has been in the VAG group and not one has fogged up. yet this one does and its the 'norm' - on this basis all my other cars were faulty. Give your head a shake pal!

Well .....My Matrix headlights fog up,my previous S3 Xenon lights fogged up as have my previous 2 brands of cars headlights.....You could always use them as a new home for Goldfish if you fancy....£35k is reasonable for a Audi these days

The dealer will test them as the engine has to be constantly run for a certain period and if the moisture dissipates then they're fine..and Audi told you this after a inspection or when you called to moan...

Well .....My Matrix headlights fog up,my previous S3 Xenon lights fogged up as have my previous 2 brands of cars headlights.....You could always use them as a new home for Goldfish if you fancy....£35k is reasonable for a Audi these days

The dealer will test them as the engine has to be constantly run for a certain period and if the moisture dissipates then they're fine..and Audi told you this after a inspection or when you called to moan...
oh Albert you’re still here! Of course Audi told me when I moaned, as you have already pointed out, what else do I do!

The moisture doesn’t dissipate, that’s the problem, regardless of the engine running or not. Although I am sure previous posts says the engine running is what causes it...I am starting to lose faith in your lessons pal.

In reality if I’m not happy after raising it (moaning) after 1 day I’d expect new headlights. Simple really! I really do appreciate your help though.

Reactions: demirkapi
Stating the obvious but have you checked whether the covers are in place behind the headlamp units?
Seeing as led's don't give off much heat there isn't much chance for any moisture to burn off. Maybe yours is excessive and you do have an issue?:shrug:

Stating the obvious but have you checked whether the covers are in place behind the headlamp units?
Seeing as led's don't give off much heat there isn't much chance for any moisture to burn off. Maybe yours is excessive and you do have an issue?:shrug:
This is the problem, Albert seems to think the engine heat should dissipate the condensation, other comments suggest the engine causes it (warm air against cold glass etc etc).

In reality I drove my car for an hour or so yesterday, got back there was condensation. Parked car up and returned two hours later and condensation was still there but much worse. Drove home, popped out in the gf's car to do some shopping, four hours later when I get back the condensation is still there.

This to me does not seem like normal behaviour. I do worry that condensation build up may lead to water droplets forming and running (from top to bottom) down the inside of the lights, leaving marks which I will not be able to remove. Regardless of 35k being 'reasonable' it IS expensive, and in I do not expect this to be happening.

My previous S3 (2017) misted up slightly but there wasn't exactly water rolling around in them and it was only at this time of year. The girlfriends GTi lights also mist up this time of year.

As said previously, it is normal.

My 2017 S3 LED lights fog up, mostly at the bottom of the light and have done so in cold weather since new. Your expectation of new lights after one day of discussion of issue with Audi is unrealistic.

Reactions: pburv
My 2017 S3 LED lights fog up, mostly at the bottom of the light and have done so in cold weather since new. Your expectation of new lights after one day of discussion of issue with Audi is unrealistic.
So you are suggesting that if I had of had a discussion after a week it would have been realistic.

Give your head a shake pal, expecting my lights to demist after four hours of being stationary is not 'unrealistic' - I did what the guy above suggested and googled the problem, funny enough it brought me back to this forum, where numerous people are unhappy, like myself.

Regardless of whether my car is 'reasonably priced for a Audi' I don't expect fogging on the inside of my £1k plus lights and £35k car! And IF it is normal for it to happen, I wouldn't expect it still to be there 4-5 hours later!

Take a pic and post it up.. Might give everyone a better idea of your issue.:shrug:

My A6 all LED headlights do it.
Most modern cars do in my experience.

So you are suggesting that if I had of had a discussion after a week it would have been realistic.

Give your head a shake pal, expecting my lights to demist after four hours of being stationary is not 'unrealistic' - I did what the guy above suggested and googled the problem, funny enough it brought me back to this forum, where numerous people are unhappy, like myself.

Regardless of whether my car is 'reasonably priced for a Audi' I don't expect fogging on the inside of my £1k plus lights and £35k car! And IF it is normal for it to happen, I wouldn't expect it still to be there 4-5 hours later!

Well pal!!, if you read my post properly. I was stating that to expect an Audi dealership to order new matrix lights after a single one day complaint of what is a known condition is unrealistic. You may have a valid complaint but work with your dealer on the issue and it has nothing to do with what you paid for the car, which in today's market was not very expensive. Do you leave your car parked outside at all times?

Reactions: Sparks43 and Jassyo06
Well pal!!, if you read my post properly. I was stating that to expect an Audi dealership to order new matrix lights after a single one day complaint of what is a known condition is unrealistic. You may have a valid complaint but work with your dealer on the issue and it has nothing to do with what you paid for the car, which in today's market was not very expensive. Do you leave your car parked outside at all times?
Perhaps take your own advice and read mine. Where have I said I have actually 'demanded' anything? In fact in my original post I said he asked me to drive it around for a few days, those few days have turned into almost three weeks (and I am yet to contact him), so if that isn't working with the dealer I don't know what is. I raised it with him after TWO days (at my first opportunity) with a view to asking his thoughts on the situation, I didn't demand anything.

Look. whether my car is 13k, 35k or 350k, I expect it to work. In I think you need a reality check if you think 35k isn't expensive! I can list many cars that are cheaper, obviously from different brands, but still cheaper!

I do leave my car outside at all times, but like I have said many times, not only does the light fog up, it remains foggy for many hours after parking it, despite the light apparently being able to dissipate moisture via a valve in the headlight. I don't get why people do not understand what I am saying!

Perhaps take your own advice and read mine. Where have I said I have actually 'demanded' anything? In fact in my original post I said he asked me to drive it around for a few days, those few days have turned into almost three weeks (and I am yet to contact him), so if that isn't working with the dealer I don't know what is. I raised it with him after TWO days (at my first opportunity) with a view to asking his thoughts on the situation, I didn't demand anything.

Look. whether my car is 13k, 35k or 350k, I expect it to work. In I think you need a reality check if you think 35k isn't expensive! I can list many cars that are cheaper, obviously from different brands, but still cheaper!

I do leave my car outside at all times, but like I have said many times, not only does the light fog up, it remains foggy for many hours after parking it, despite the light apparently being able to dissipate moisture via a valve in the headlight. I don't get why people do not understand what I am saying!

I think it will be a long fight to get the headlights replaced from Audi ,a few years ago l went through a similar issue with Ford
Why are your Matrix headlights so expensive £1000??

I think it will be a long fight to get the headlights replaced from Audi ,a few years ago l went through a similar issue with Ford
Why are your Matrix headlights so expensive £1000??
His last words in the email were 'don't worry, they are under warranty' - so I guess time will tell if I decide to pursue it.

Regarding the cost I was using the amount to upgrade from standard LED's to Matrix which mine are. I have just looked at they are £675 when buying an S-Line, but if you go for the sport and choose Matrix LED's its £1525 - so I went somewhere in the middle.

As others are stating this is normal behaviour for this time of year. The humidity is high enough that water molecules cannot be absorbed into the atmosphere. My car does it, my A3 did it as does our fiesta. There is no need to be 'albert' or a rocket scientist as it is a fact...

Headlights have moisture dissipation outlets ...built in
As others are stating this is normal behaviour for this time of year. The humidity is high enough that water molecules cannot be absorbed into the atmosphere. My car does it, my A3 did it as does our fiesta. There is no need to be 'albert' or a rocket scientist as it is a fact...
See the quoted post above, as he said they have outlets...my fogging does not go at least for 4-5 hours after I’ve stopped driving.

What is it people aren’t getting?

But you missed my point, vents or no vents, at this time of year the moisture inside headlamps has nowhere to go as the air is too dense to absorb it. I think what we are struggling with is your inability to accept it normal...

But you missed my point, vents or no vents, at this time of year the moisture inside headlamps has nowhere to go as the air is too dense to absorb it. I think what we are struggling with is your inability to accept it normal...
I don't think it is, Audi don't even think it is, yet cuke2u says it is, so it must be. Funny that I have had multiple VAG cars that haven't done this.

Tell you what, I'm gonna contact the dealer now, I'll tell you what he says when he replies.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I trust that when you take the car to the dealership, a telephone call will be useless, that you get the shop foreman to look at your issue....not a salesperson or service adviser.

I trust that when you take the car to the dealership, a telephone call will be useless, that you get the shop foreman to look at your issue....not a salesperson or service adviser.
Cheers buddy, but I won’t be taking it back to Manchester, it’s too far. Ideally if they agree I’d just prefer him to order me some new lights and get them installed at a local dealership in the same chain.

Seeing as no one has posted any pics
on this thread I thought I would show one of my car taken Saturday.
Foggy Light

Is this typical of the issue? Wizzywig

Seeing as no one has posted any pics
on this thread I thought I would show one of my car taken Saturday.
View attachment 213353
Is this typical of the issue? Wizzywig
Yes very similar. But as I have said it’s not just the fact it happens, it’s the fact it remains fogged up for hours afterwards.

Also where do I stand if in a years time I have water streaks on the inside of the unit which cannot be cleaned. I know others have said it’s unlikely but I just don’t feel it should be doing this

Yes very similar. But as I have said it’s not just the fact it happens, it’s the fact it remains fogged up for hours afterwards.

Also where do I stand if in a years time I have water streaks on the inside of the unit which cannot be cleaned. I know others have said it’s unlikely but I just don’t feel it should be doing this
yeah fair enough I see where you are coming from. Just so you know my lights do clear after a short while possibly 10 mins or so?? If yours don't then you probably have an issue. A seal on your unit is probably faulty??
Are both the same?

Yeah that’s the weird thing, both are exactly the same. I drive it for about an hour a day for work, I got back and it had steamed up a little (like yours) when I went back to it after work it had steamed up more and was worse.

Drove it home, popped out shopping, got back and it was still as steamed up as it was when I left it.

Yeah that’s the weird thing, both are exactly the same. I drive it for about an hour a day for work, I got back and it had steamed up a little (like yours) when I went back to it after work it had steamed up more and was worse.

Drove it home, popped out shopping, got back and it was still as steamed up as it was when I left it.
Certainly not the experience I get with my Cupra or the wife's Q3. Hopefully you will get the result you are after from your dealer. Good luck:icon thumright:

Certainly not the experience I get with my Cupra or the wife's Q3. Hopefully you will get the result you are after from your dealer. Good luck:icon thumright:
On the 8v the matrix headlights are around £1400 bangers each so Audi will be reluctant to replace them on a new car

On the 8v the matrix headlights are around £1400 bangers each so Audi will be reluctant to replace them on a new car
Yeah my thoughts on that are the same.
Seeing as the OP hasn't put up a pic of his lights fogging up none of us could know exactly if his are faulty or not. Clearly he thinks he has so I say good luck to him. Don't ask don't get is what I say:icon thumright:

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Jassyo06