Front Mount Fitted :)

Chris-32T

Reaction score
Well after taking delivery of my Forge Intercooler on Thursday, i though i would crack on and get it fitted. So it was up bright and early Saturday to make a start.

First off some pics of the Cooler

Front end up in the Air ready to make a start

Front bumper removed, Standard Intercooler and crash bar still in place.

Quick pic of Standard VS Forge, there doesnt look like a big difference in the pic but trust me there is lol

Forge Cooler and modified Forge crash bar in place.

And finally all built back up

Initial thoughts are it pulls a whole lot stronger throughout the rev range, and feels a lot more responsive throttle wise, Just need to get the car booked in for a Map, hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

thanks for looking

Cheers
Chris

Reactions: Vito, Sticks, JudderMan and 3 others
omg........ huge respect for doing that on you're own, I get a hot flush when I top up the oil:laugh: ha ha ha ha ha ha

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, N8, MBK and 1 other person
omg........ huge respect for doing that on you're own, I get a hot flush when I top up the oil:laugh: ha ha ha ha ha ha

Haha, cheers Robbie, but in all honesty its not as daunting as it looks, being a mechy fitter by trade helps i suppose lol but you would be suprised at just how easy it is. Also the instructions Forge provide are very good and precise.

Only took 3 Hrs from start to finish and that was with a couple of tea breaks.

mmmmmm dunno........ every airfix model I made when I was younger ended up with loads of bits left over when I'd finished it!
a bit more serious in this case, visions of my radiator, bumper, bolts and all pinging all over the Tarmac :laugh:
7b4371c7d0f1cf73e2e1df3ac52d55bc_zpsf5229295.jpg

Last edited:
Loving your work Chris :) now come do mine :) would Audi be funny about this mod do you think ?

Good work Chris, have you decided which map you are going for?

Nice one chris ,one day this will be me !

excellent stuff chris, how much did the unit cost?

Your looking around the 1k mark :(

Last edited:
Cheers Fella's :)

@ Klauster, tbh unless Audi remove the front bumper they wouldn't really know tbf. Its very Oem in its appearance.

@ P.G Yeah im pretty much set on going with Unicorn now after speaking with Rick, First i plan to have the car mapped, then the DSG/S-Tronic a bit later on. Hoping the car will be mapped before my trip to LeMans in June :)

Yeah the Unit isnt cheap, but for a strong stage 1 car going into stage 2 i think the cooler is essential tbh, the OEM unit is not the most efficient thing in the world tbf.

Cheers

Chris

Awesome!

Out of interest and in the name of science you should RR the car now and see if there are any gains!

Pity my present insurers won't let me fit an FMIC :gun2:

I planned on getting a baseline figure before the cooler was fitted but things came up and put an end to that, and i couldnt wait to get it fitted lol.

Hopefully going to a local RR this week with a bit of luck only 2wd though :( to get a figure, i shall post up my findings if i can get a slot booked.

Overall though after fitting the car feels quicker, more eager and a "LOT" stronger through the revs :)

Reactions: Macdaddy and Kelza
I hear a group buy ..coming....;)

Reactions: klauster
I planned on getting a baseline figure before the cooler was fitted but things came up and put an end to that, and i couldnt wait to get it fitted lol.

Hopefully going to a local RR this week with a bit of luck only 2wd though :( to get a figure, i shall post up my findings if i can get a slot booked.

Overall though after fitting the car feels quicker, more eager and a "LOT" stronger through the revs :)

Chris, you've got 2 fairly local 4WD roads near you in SEDOX (Sunderland) and more likely Motoscope (Northallerton) if you did not already know about them?

Preferably with a Wagner inter-cooler :whistle2:
Why? It's flow rate and cooling surface area are inferior to the Forge unit and it does not have a crash bar instead using the cooler as the centre crash seection. What do you believe the benefits to be?

Cheers Fella's :)

@ Klauster, tbh unless Audi remove the front bumper they wouldn't really know tbf. Its very Oem in its appearance.

@ P.G Yeah im pretty much set on going with Unicorn now after speaking with Rick, First i plan to have the car mapped, then the DSG/S-Tronic a bit later on. Hoping the car will be mapped before my trip to LeMans in June :)

Yeah the Unit isnt cheap, but for a strong stage 1 car going into stage 2 i think the cooler is essential tbh, the OEM unit is not the most efficient thing in the world tbf.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, What attracted you to Unicorn for your map?

@ P.G, yeah cheers i did already know about those 2 companys and neither of which i would trust with my car just from past experiences. Not my cars but i was witness.

Withe regards to Rick @ Unicorn, i suppose after reading all the positive reviews, and Rick actually taking the time to reply to my numerous emails without trying to push his product on to me was a big factor, but also learning that his Maps are custom and not (generic) which imo is the better way to go especially with the mods i'm running at the minute. Means the car can be tuned with my input to suit my driving style to get the best from it.

Bit in the end it like everything else, you pay your money, you make your choice and you take your chance, But im very confident that Rick can give me exactly what im wanting from the car and then some.

Cheers
Chris

Interesting, Motoscope have always been first rate when they had my RS4 on the rollers including a r/r day we had with them. SEDOX I have only used once and am ambivalent about them. I noticed on another forum you were going the APR route but then decided Unicorn which by the looks of things is still a bit of a hike to get to. Have they said what gains they expect or what benefits you get with the map (warranty, back count function, artificial lock etc)

Yeah i was going the APR route, because of the Upgrade path i was looking to take with the car ( Stage 3 BT setup ) but ive decided against that route now. So i'm now just looking for a really strong Stage 1/2 setup then i will look at the handling side of things and that should be me finished with the car as far as Mods go anyway. and like i said earlier my car is not quite Stage 2 but will be beyond a stage 1 so to get the best out of it i think a custom Map is the way to go.

Small update:

Things are looking up on the RR front, managed to get a slot booked for monday afternoon, so by the evening i should have some Vids, charts, readings etc for you all to take a peek at :)

Cheers

Chris

Reactions: Macdaddy
I will be using a company not far from motorscope actually lol, called Big Fish Tuning. He is a sponsor on my local VW forum and has very recently just had installed a brand fire new set of Dyno Developments rollers. And from cars that have ran on there over the past few months the seem pretty realistic in there readings, but we shall see.

Will be interesting to see just what difference the exhaust and cooler has made to the car.

Last edited:
Following with interest! My guess would be 20 for both!

A low but realistic guess, did Forge claim 20 or 40 from the intercooler? Exhaust 15 on a turbo car?

40bhp for the FMIC but they have never replicated it.

I've seen BFT on Vag cars NE forum but I see you are not using them for your map?

Forge say it was peak gains of 40bhp, not sustained so my guess would be between 10-15 but the torque i would expect to rise quite a lot just by the way the car now drives, but we shall see :)

@ P_G yeah thats correct he is on VAGcars, no i wont be using John for the Mapping of the car purely down to the lack of experience with this engine/ecu combo. But he does have a lot of very satisfied customers from our neck of the woods :)

Good stuff mate!

ive also got the forge fmic fitted to mine with stage 1 map and 2nd by pass pipes. I'm going to the rollers tomorrow and hopefully get on. (Only got asked this afternoon) so hopefully be gd to see the figures!

Reactions: klauster and Macdaddy
Good stuff mate!

ive also got the forge fmic fitted to mine with stage 1 map and 2nd by pass pipes. I'm going to the rollers tomorrow and hopefully get on. (Only got asked this afternoon) so hopefully be gd to see the figures!

Ah that's good, keep us updated please. Will be interesting to see the difference between mapped and stock, running similar Mods :)

Ah that's good, keep us updated please. Will be interesting to see the difference between mapped and stock, running similar Mods :)

took car to the dyno day and never got on as the dyno could not take the dsg set up. Gutted need to find one that can take the dsg box

Well managed to get on the rollers today :)

Just waiting for Vids to upload and the graphs/logs etc to be sent over and i will get them posted up.

Heres a pic and a couple of vids to keep you guys entertained :)

Sat waiting patiently lol

And now for the vids :)

Hope you Enjoy

Also managed to get out on the road and log the intake temps with Vagcom to see exactly how well the new cooler was doing, haven't got the charts yet but from taking a look on the laptop it shows quite a substantial drop in intake temps so its doing exactly what it should be :)

Reactions: klauster, Vito, wickedstef and 2 others
Thats good just from a uprated fmic as standard 340bhp 332lbft torque ;)

And you have the FMIC, 2nd cat bypass pipes and Milltek cat-back on?

Reactions: Kelza
Thats good just from a uprated fmic as standard 340bhp 332lbft torque ;)
335bhp and 332 ft lbs is the book figures but TBH when I had mine dynoed with just filter and 2nd cat bypass it was making nigh on 350bhp and 340+ft lbs so it would have been good to see what it was making pre FMIC and Milltek(?).