Front suspension knock - upper bracket damage

G111MDS

Reaction score
Hi, running an old b5 tdi at the moment. Bad knock coming from the drivers front suspension. Taken the wheel off for a nosey and as i look at the top two link arms, the left one has actually deteriorated to such an extent that the bush is pretty much out. Oops. This has been Chipping away at the big metal bracket that it attaches to (the one that seems to be attached directly to the underside of the inner wing and everything else attaches to). Question is, I can change the arm, but what about this big bracket? Easy to change, or expensive to repair and time consuming? Any thoughts. Car is an s reg, 166k miles and really not worth a lot :(

Biggest problem is removing the pinch bolt, make sure you buy a new bolt!

Theres two types of upper bracket, alloy and steel. Make sure you get the same as whats fitted to replace it.

Yeh, not sure which cars had which. Our old FWD A4 had steel plates, the TQS and S4 have alloy ones.

Theres different geometry specs for both types too, hence saying to ensure you get the same ones!

yes as above 3 bolts hold it on to the car body. pretty sure ive got a pair in the garage.

thanks. will drop you a pm

Biggest problem is removing the pinch bolt, make sure you buy a new bolt!

will get one - thank you!

Theres two types of upper bracket, alloy and steel. Make sure you get the same as whats fitted to replace it.

Thanks. i'll post up a picture of the one fitted to see if there is a way of telling.
Yeh, not sure which cars had which. Our old FWD A4 had steel plates, the TQS and S4 have alloy ones.

Theres different geometry specs for both types too, hence saying to ensure you get the same ones!

Thanks. i'll post up a picture of the one fitted to see if there is a way of telling.