Front suspension/steering clonk

salty2

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been having problems with my 2014 S1 for the last 6 months, just wondering if any others on this forum have been having the same problem?..... At slow speed - when parking, pulling in to drives, or just manoeuvring generally on fairly tight lock, I get a loud clunk, form the N/S form of the car that you can feel through the column, only happened occasionally at first but now more frequent ( 2/3 times a day). Car has been in and out of the main dealers for a fix under warranty ( 7 weeks in total !) with lots of changes to try & cure ( both top strut bearings, steering rack, subframe, bottom control arms, Haldex pump ) finally Audi UK sent someone down to test the vehicle who now say its caused by the rear diff & is a "characteristic" of the car!
I'd be grateful to know if all other S1 owners are experiencing this phenomenon, as it's supposed to be a "characteristic" ?

Salty2

This is well known as totally normal on S1's and most other 4x4 cars.
I'm flabbergasted that the dealer didn't say that in the first place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi josedebardi
Thanks for quick response, I've followed your excellent posts for some time, as we bought our S1's around the same time, I think. I'm also in your neck of the woods, so I think I'm using the same dealer as you do for this warranty work, who, I must say, have been absolutley brilliant. This makes me think we may be talking about a different noise ( this isn't the usual drive train take up noise I have experienced on others 4x4's - much more defined metallic clunk like a worn ball joint). Dealer says they have had no others making this noise, but finally got her own courtesy car to do so last week, after trying for several weeks. What is also worrying me about this, is the fact that there was no sign of it for the first 18 months & it is now getting steadily worse. Once the car is out of warranty, in 5 months, I could be left with a serious problem.

Salty2