Front Tyre Wear

JonnyG

Reaction score
My OEM Conti front tyres now need replacing at 9,000 miles. There is about 3mm tread left on average, slightly less towards the outside edge.

The wear has been pretty even apart from the outer shoulders (as MBK reports)

I'm just wondering what others have managed out of theirs ?

Mine are due to be changed, similar findings to yourself tbh 9k pretty even wear. And after reading Mark (MBK's) report I'm going for MPSS 235's all round.

Figured I'd change all 4 and keep the 2 Conti's off the back as spares just incase I get punctures etc.

My Conti's lasted about 8k and the front MPSS about the same but with much harder use. I'd imagine they'd last very well with road use only.

It would be good to hear from someone who has switched to Goodyear F1s too about how long and well they hold up.

The rear 225 Conti's are still going strong now on the front of my mrs Civic Type R - they are much happier tyres with 200bhp going through them.

7.5K on the original Contis and down to 2mm, rears fine, but replacement fronts being fitted this week

My Conti's lasted about 8k and the front MPSS about the same but with much harder use. I'd imagine they'd last very well with road use only.

It would be good to hear from someone who has switched to Goodyear F1s too about how long and well they hold up.

The rear 225 Conti's are still going strong now on the front of my mrs Civic Type R - they are much happier tyres with 200bhp going through them.

Just over 7k miles on the F1's and I have 5.4mm on the fronts and 6.5mm on the rears. They should last 18-20k miles all in as all are 235's and I'll swap fronts to rears next spring as I reckon another 2-3 months and I'll be on winters.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500

yep ​these contis are pants.. 6k in and both fronts are like this.. I've had cheap budgets before that haven't fallen apart like this.. For the record I have 255 front option and I drive it like I stole it, but then that's what I bought it for and it should handle that easily. As per mr MBK super sports ordered!
Continental are sending me some freebies which I might just have a big pikey fire in my garden with as that's about all they're worth...

Last edited by a moderator:
The tyre itself has lots of tread left and hasn't really worn, except for the shoulders which started off feathering, then ripping off in chunks all the way round both outer edges of both fronts.:scared2:

yep contis are pants.. 6k in and both fronts are like this.. I've had cheap budgets before that haven't fallen apart like this.. For the record I have 255 front option and I drive it like I stole it, but then that's what I bought it for and it should handle that easily. As per mr MBK super sports ordered!
Continental are sending me some freebies which I might just have a big pikey fire in my garden with as that's about all they're worth...

Christ, that's outrageous !
It is not like Continental's are cheapo tyres anyway they are a good well known make but none the less no matter how hard you drive it they should not be like that.
Loving your wheels btw :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: T-800 and quattro81
Christ, that's outrageous !
It is not like Continental's are cheapo tyres anyway they are a good well known make but none the less no matter how hard you drive it they should not be like that.
Loving your wheels btw :wub:
yeah something's not right with those tyres.... Funnily enough I think the last time I came across this type of thing was on Michelin pilot sport 2ct (twin compound) motorbike tyres.. Michelin issued a recall for certain batch numbers due to tread lifting off - I got mine replaced FOC, despite having got the edge of those tyres to turn blue and blistered they didn't fall apart, but better to be safe than sorry especially with performance vehicles. Continental are going to take my tyres for further analysis, so it'll be interesting to hear their theory!
... And thanks about the wheels, I know a lot of people were not/still are not convinced on the "marmite" wheel colour, but to be honest, everyone that sees the car up close always tell me how much they love the rims...! IMO they set off the car colour, black optics and the red and black logo on the calipers just right:o.k:

Reactions: Audi Dynamik and T-800
That is shocking damage, exactly as reported by many of the magazines. Mine were never that bad but they were worn out quickly, as with yours the rest of the tyre was still fine.

I've only seen edge wear like that on other tyres at the end of tread life and caused by serious track abuse. To be clear I'm not suggesting you've been on track I know the RS3 will do this to tyres on road I wonder if the 255 makes the issue worse?

The MPSS will stand up however you drive the car. I also like to drive the car to its potential and regularly attempt to tear the tyre off the rim and the MPSS edges were like new after 8k miles.

I like the look of your wheels too. As I've got one with bad kerb damage (my fault) another with a pot hole mark I've been thinking of painting rather than a diamond cut refurb and the black/red combo looks a winner.

Reactions: quattro81
That is shocking damage, exactly as reported by many of the magazines. Mine were never that bad but they were worn out quickly, as with yours the rest of the tyre was still fine.

I've only seen edge wear like that on other tyres at the end of tread life and caused by serious track abuse. To be clear I'm not suggesting you've been on track I know the RS3 will do this to tyres on road I wonder if the 255 makes the issue worse?

The MPSS will stand up however you drive the car. I also like to drive the car to its potential and regularly attempt to tear the tyre off the rim and the MPSS edges were like new after 8k miles.

I like the look of your wheels too. As I've got one with bad kerb damage (my fault) another with a pot hole mark I've been thinking of painting rather than a diamond cut refurb and the black/red combo looks a winner.
I think you might be right.. The 255 probably does exaggerate the problem.
As for the wheels, I had one refurbished, for a minor mark, by lepsons - they did a fantastic job.. On your red car they will look grrrreat! Do it!:rockwoot: Can't wait to get new shoes.... She's off the road until then :sorry:

Mine were done after 3.5k mls....

Much better car on F1's or MPSS. :)

Well i was going to replace my front Contis before the winter as the edges were worn [6k miles] then this morning whilst getting the car loaded with luggage for the return trip from my holiday :wtf: my rear offside[just copying mbk he had the same the other week],after phoning a good friend[you know who you are] and taking his advice I'm now going to replace all 4 with 235 GoodyearsF1s and are being fitted tomorrow :thumbsup: IMG 0523 zps35d22c62

Ah now that is super annoying, so much deep tread left on that tyre - it's only 1.6mm across the middle 75% that counts in he EU - but no way that is reparable.

Eagle F1s are a great road choice the tyre tests all prove that.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Mark its done me a favour [although an expensive one] i wouldn't of been happy with just changing the fronts so its forced my hand and looking foreward to having them fitted tomorrow.

Reactions: MBK and monkeyboy_marcus
Mark its done me a favour [although an expensive one] i wouldn't of been happy with just changing the fronts so its forced my hand and looking foreward to having them fitted tomorrow.

I've found that just changing the fronts has left me uninspired - best change them all for the full effect. Will be switching my MPSS 235 to the rear when the old Contis are done and getting new 235 MPSS for the front, i.e. 235 all around - ditching the 255 fronts idea for now due to a rather good recent write up... Enjoy!

Reactions: quattro81 and DAYTONA 500
Best to switch the ESP to Sport to get the most from the Super Sports Marcus. The ESP intervenes way too early and for no reason. I wish there was a way to start with it deselected like the system on the Exige which is a sensitivity dial.

With the ESP off you will find the whole car flows much more in corners and you can really get the PSS to bite. With the ESP on its like you need two bites of turn in through corners, with it off you can pick an accurate line each time.

Reactions: fanshu
Just under 3mm left on my front conti's, I hate them and getting bad wobble under heavy breaking when hot so going to change to pss and check balance. Got new pzeros on rear as an alloy was replaced when I bought so they're going to have to be replaced with pss too which is going to be pricy.

What is it with Audi and poor tyre choice?!

I've found that just changing the fronts has left me uninspired - best change them all for the full effect. Will be switching my MPSS 235 to the rear when the old Contis are done and getting new 235 MPSS for the front, i.e. 235 all around - ditching the 255 fronts idea for now due to a rather good recent write up... Enjoy!
nice boat you're in there mate.. I've gone for replacing the fronts for the moment as I have 255's I can't swap them around, so next month I'm going to do the rears as well. I'm undecided as to whether to go for a 225 or 235 on the rears, but I'm leaning towards the 235 if I'm honest.......
I've taken the front wheels off and am going to take just the wheels when the tyres are changed on weds, this will allow my OCD side out to clean the inner arches, brakes and anything else I can do..:laugh: Plus I'm going to apply some dodo juice nano ceramic wheel I've had sitting around for a while to the whole wheel properly.

Well 235 Goodyear F1s were fitted all round today and what a difference [not because of the size and handling as I've not had chance to try them properly] but harsh ride has dissapeared the car feels a lot more comfortable which suits me fine as i don't track the car or use it to its full potential, what were Audi thinking by fitting the RS3 with Contis they obviously had their reasons but it wasn't in the interest of us the consumer ,the handling ,ride quality and wear are Sh*t,6k miles on the front and they're shot yet my previous car B8 S4 17k on Dunlop Sport max and still plenty of tread left.