Front wiper motor? HELP

Poppy12

Reaction score
Hey, Not sure if im even posting this in the right area or correct forum but.. What it is, is... My wiper motor (front) has packed in, my friends have tried the fuses for me its not that its totally dead. Will a motor off a 58 Golf fit? my audi is a3 08 plate, and how easy are they to fit.. ive heard that it requires a bit that could potentially crack the window when taking the black plastic off? Is this the case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Poppy x

Hey, Not sure if im even posting this in the right area or correct forum but.. What it is, is... My wiper motor (front) has packed in, my friends have tried the fuses for me its not that its totally dead. Will a motor off a 58 Golf fit? my audi is a3 08 plate, and how easy are they to fit.. ive heard that it requires a bit that could potentially crack the window when taking the black plastic off? Is this the case?

Poppy x

Im not 100% if the golf motor will fit. The scuttle tray is pretty tricky to remove if your doing it for the first time. It has a lip going down below the glass and you have to keep tugging it at to loosen it and you can eventually pull it away. I cant imagine damaging the window if your using your hands.

Poppy x

Have you fitted a aftermaket HID kit to your A3?

Not sure on HID kit but... Someone did but different bulbs in... Not sure what kind maybe xenon and it is since then, there not in my car now as they didn't work properly

You would need your current part number to scout for another of the same or a supercession unit, removal/fitting is a little tricky, but not exactly rocket science, plenum chamber cover needs slightly flexing to remove, but once thats of, should be obvious from then on.

Not sure on HID kit but... Someone did but different bulbs in... Not sure what kind maybe xenon and it is since then, there not in my car now as they didn't work properly

Well if was a HID kit previously fitted then that is more than likely what caused ur wiper motor to blow. Hope you get the wiper motor fixed but note not to fitted HID kits in future and go down OEM xenon root if you what xenons.

whats the link between hids and failed wiper motors?

The common point between the halogens & the wiper motor is the grounding point 366, I suspect the lin bus is damaged within the wiper motor & thus ceases to function as xenons require a fair whack to startup, feedback down the common wire maybe an issue, who knows without testing with the relevant diagnostic tools.

had a mk5 golf in last week with a hid kit fitted. no wiper problems, but.....
with the dipped beam on if you flick high beam on, one or the other hids flickers for a second then goes off.
also even if you dont touch the high beam after about 15/20 mins of dipped beam being on the same happens, one of them flickers and goes off.

diddnt really get anywhere with it as i was busy doing other things. any ideas?

Probably shares the same ground point again & its getting feedback/interference, only way to realistically stop any issues is to run seperate wires to the kits from the battery & chassis ground point, then relay it, but you'd have to do some measurements of the resistance with halogens & recreate this with resistaors or the like, so the relayed circuit shows the onboard diag that the bulb isnt blown or you'd have dash warnings I suspect.