Frustrating Airbag Light

SamHendry

Reaction score
Ok folks got my mot tomorrow and I have a fooking airbag warning light on the dash. Does anyone have any information on how to get rid off this warning light?

I've tried disconnecting connectors under seat and spraying wd40. I scanned the car with vcds and I didn't get a airbag error code, so I couldn't reset any codes. I did get a seat belt tensioner code. I cleared that and it didn't come back. Could that be related tho?

Hope you sorted this but if not I had a similar issue when I had a small water leak as the water made the rear seatbelt tensioner damp and this caused the same code you had which put the airbag light on.

Once I had fixed the leak and dried out the seatbelt mechanism I cleared the code again and the light has stayed off since.

Reactions: SamHendry
After loosing all enthusiasm to resolve this airbag light I decided I would just stick a bit of tape over the light and hope for the best, and I'm glad to report my s3 passed the mot. I think the problem might be the yellow plug and socket under the seat, I'm going to remove the plug and solder all the wires together. I've not ruled out the seatbelt tensioner although I did clear the code and the light remained.

If a light is coming on then there should be a fault code... scan the Airbags module, there should be something there

<tuffty/>

It's a good idea to solder the wires, at least you know you have a good connection and you can rule that out.

i had the the light on mine a few months back, scanned for codes and was coming up with the passenger air bag, cleared the code and the light went out for 5mins then came back on, so took the dash apart to get behind the passenger airbag unplugged it and plugged it back in before resetting it, and its never returned

There will definitely be a error code in VCDS. Did you specifically check the airbag module in VCDS? Because if you're using VCDS-Lite then autoscan won't check for airbag faults. Most common are the under the seat plugs, but it can also be the steering wheel or the passenger dash airbag plug. Either way the fault code in VCDS will point you in the right direction. Check the airbag module for DTCs in VCDS separately.

EDIT: Also the light wont go off until you clear the fault code. You can fix the problem, but the airbag light will stay on until it is cleared in VCDS or by some other compatible diagnostic tool. So VCDS/diagnostics is necessary either way.

Reactions: <tuffty/>