Fuel cap strap broken

SBJ

Reaction score
As the tile says, went to fill up and the little rubber strap that connects the cap to the door looks like its perished/snapped somehow. In all the years of owning cars, not once had one break on me. I don't spray fuel on, very careful when filling up, I wash my car thoroughly etc so its not abuse thats caused it to break.

Anyone else had this and if so was it replaced under warranty?

Mine is on it's last legs and won't last long - had a quick check and yes Audi want to replace cap and thong at about £45 so may have a punt on this - just need to check the fitting 2 pins.

Reactions: L111 FAD, blackwood and TheStigOnline
I collected an Audi Approved Used car (6 year old diesel) - supplied almost empty naturally - and the fuel cap fell to the ground at the first fill-up as the tether was perished. Drove the 1 mile back to dealer., who asked me to buy a new one and send them the invoice.

Reactions: SBJ and TheStigOnline
Mine is on it's last legs and won't last long - had a quick check and yes Audi want to replace cap and thong at about £45 so may have a punt on this - just need to check the fitting 2 pins.

Is the rubber string easy to remove from the cap. I need a new one too

Never mind found the answer. Gonna buy it now.

d70d319934da7dfe592d01dc1fccdaec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: blackwood
Never knew you could get just the strap on it's own, thanks. :icon thumright:

I ordered the one linked as other listings failed to mention the material and I liked the sound of it. Fitted it yesterday and it fits well, worth noting that the linked one has a right angle at the point it connects to the fuel cap, so make sure it's the right way wrong as I found it puts extra strain the other way when opening/closing the filler cap. Also mines a C6 not C7.

Used a punch smaller than the pins to remove them then one bigger to re insert them.
Before:
PXL 20210517 170229474

After:
PXL 20210517 171917308

Reactions: rjwojcik and Bishop187
Fitted mine today - about 5 minutes tops.
@SBJ - thanks for starting the thread.
@Neil Woodburn - thanks for recommending a seller.

Reactions: SBJ and Bishop187