Fuel economy

Banwell

previously LeeS3
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed loads, so excuse me for being lazy, but...

What is everybody's opinion on optimal rev/gear change?

Through town I am getting 24.5 mpg.

On motorway I am getting 26 mpg.

It doesn't seem to make any difference how I drive the car either. Generally I change up or down at 3000rpm. I sometimes go as far a 4000rpm through town, but nearly always on motorway.

I'd appreciated opinions - didn't someone say they were getting 28mpg? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Shell are really fleecing me at the minute, and petrol's about to get a lot more expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

My 1.8T Sport gets about 32mpg without thrashing around town and holding until about 3900rpm.

If thrashing it get about 26mpg!

I get an average of about 33 mpg out of my S3. Don't know what I get on motorways, because the nearest one is 150 miles away!
A steady run on A roads, averaging 60mph, normally gives me 36 - 38 mpg.
Not too sure about town driving, probably get low 20s, don't exactly do much of it up here in the Highlands!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

My A3T now gets late twenties to early thirties consistently and I never drive on the motorway and am generally stuck in rush hour traffic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif!. It only used to get early twenties until I had the dump valve replaced (old one started making hissing noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) So it might be worth getting that checked. I also find I get better fuel consumtion using optimax? strange really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

I tried running the climate control on economy and it seems to have increased town figures to close to 27!

Never though it'd make that much of a difference.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Not sure what mpg I get in my S3 but record for a tank of gas is 375 miles