Fuel Flap release not opening

Jassyo06

T-Cut King !
Reaction score
Over the last week or so l have been struggling to release the fuel Flap to gain access to refuel, twice its frozen over had thaw it out, other times lve had depress the flap several times for it to open, now the flap won't open at all even when l use the red plastic cord to release it internally
Is this a common occurrence with the fuel release mechanism in Audi's??

Over the last week or so l have been struggling to release the fuel Flap to gain access to refuel, twice its frozen over had thaw it out, other times lve had depress the flap several times for it to open, now the flap won't open at all even when l use the red plastic cord to release it internally

Not had this issue myself, even in the stupidly cold weather we have down South... lol

Get the stealer to have a gander ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Not had this issue myself, even in the stupidly cold weather we have down South... lol

Get the stealer to have a gander ;)
I think l have 20 miles left in the tank ,touching cloth to get it to the dealership mate lol l had to use my mum's car to get to work today

I think l have 20 miles left in the tank ,touching cloth to get it to the dealership mate lol l had to use my mum's car to get to work today

Ah... a call to Audi assist in the morning then.

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Call Audi Assist, stay inside nice and warm till they come. No point in making a journey to the dealers if you might not actually make it. I would be doing it now so the problem is resolved... I think the fuel release is a problem actually as it happened with mine but never actually didn't open. When I researched it, it did seem quite a big problem on A3's. Sorry not much help but hope you get it sorted.

Could it be that the water you used to thaw it open, has got cold and clogged it up?

There has been posts in the past with this issue iirc.

As others have said Audi Assist is ur friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably wouldn't hurt to WD40 the hinge, reckon you could spray it with one of those straw attachments for the can

I have tried everything mentioned guys just gone out and pulled the red cord again to try and release it internally l have stretched the the cord that much that it has snapped to reveal the inner copper, its similar to electrical cable/flex not going to do that again coz it will break

I am afraid you are going to have to get it to the dealer, as there is no other way I know of than the cord release and I doubt Audi Assist will help apart from towing to the dealer. I suggest giving the dealer a call and see what they suggest as any other alternatives.

Also state you have a special factory order paint and prying the flap is not an option.

Reactions: Ron240, BarryG79 and Jassyo06
Also state you have a special factory order paint and prying the flap is not an option.

Story .... was in the fuel station this morning after many attempts to open the fuel Flap.. . Decided to go into the kiosk to ask for some hot water.... As l walked in a gentleman asked me ..... Is it not opening ?? I said no..... 30 secs later l turned round to see the said gent trying to force the fuel Flap open with his hands .. .. I shouted DONT... . you'll not open like that . ... I wasn't being ungrateful but *** l don't want it forced open l said to him..... Grrr

Reactions: Bells, MattSedg, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
It’s a common problem for ages on Audi’s.
There’s 2 ways it can break. First is the spring mechanism, when you push and it pops, if this gets stuck then the red cord is your saviour but it sounds like this isn’t the case.
The other is there’s a rotating pin that turns when you lock the car. If this bit is broken you are pretty stuffed. The only way is force it. I had the AA guy out and he wanted me to sign a disclaimer in case he damaged the paint. I said no. Had about like 10 mile range on the car. Eventually I used a towel and wooden spatula and managed to wedge it open slowly without damaging the paint. It doesn’t take much to break the clip but I just didn’t want the aa guy to wedge a screwdriver in not giving a crap. This was sorted under warranty.

It’s a common problem for ages on Audi’s.
There’s 2 ways it can break. First is the spring mechanism, when you push and it pops, if this gets stuck then the red cord is your saviour but it sounds like this isn’t the case.
The other is there’s a rotating pin that turns when you lock the car. If this bit is broken you are pretty stuffed. The only way is force it. I had the AA guy out and he wanted me to sign a disclaimer in case he damaged the paint. I said no. Had about like 10 mile range on the car. Eventually I used a towel and wooden spatula and managed to wedge it open slowly without damaging the paint. It doesn’t take much to break the clip but I just didn’t want the aa guy to wedge a screwdriver in not giving a ****. This was sorted under warranty.
Should I allow Audi to force it open without damaging the paint????

Should I allow Audi to force it open without damaging the paint????
They probably have a special tool for the job. I reckon one of my angled trim tools would work a treat as the pressure from the wedging won’t be against the body but against the plastic casing just under the flap.

Here’s something to help you visualise what you need to break if you decide to pop it yourself. The bit in the yellow circle is all that holding the flap down. So not much there to break.
2 Audi’s I’ve had with this problem. First the red cord worked and second was the forceful one.
Upload 2019 1 23 19 47 53

Reactions: V6_Man, NevMan and Ron240
They probably have a special tool for the job. I reckon one of my angled trim tools would work a treat as the pressure from the wedging won’t be against the body but against the plastic casing just under the flap.

Here’s something to help you visualise what you need to break if you decide to pop it yourself. The bit in the yellow circle is all that holding the flap down. So not much there to break.
2 Audi’s I’ve had with this problem. First the red cord worked and second was the forceful one.
View attachment 174164

Yer a gent and thankyou very much for your help, l will go down to Audi first thing tomorrow

Reactions: AlS3BE
Yer a gent and thankyou very much for your help, l will go down to Audi first thing tomorrow

Glad to have helped. If you chicken out when your fuel gauge reads zero range then a trim tool like this will help. Just don’t lean/wedge against the body and you will be ok.
Upload 2019 1 23 20 20 46

Reactions: Ron240 and Jassyo06
Mine plays up sometimes, if i put pressure on the flap whilst locking and unlocking the car it will open every time.

Mine plays up sometimes, if i put pressure on the flap whilst locking and unlocking the car it will open every time.
Just tried this and sadly didn't work thanks anyway
It definitely need broken

Reactions: Starry
What a pain in the ****

hope you get it sorted quickly mate @jassyo06
:icon thumright:

I had the fuel flap actuator go on my 8p A3, luckily it failed in the unlock position so just flappped around until I got it fixed under warranty.

As many have said it’s a common problem and a few mins to fix and expect local dealer most likely to have one in stock

@jassyo06 is ther not a manual override switch/lever accessed through the boot right hand side access panel, behind where the tool kit is usually stored.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I had the fuel flap actuator go on my 8p A3, luckily it failed in the unlock position so just flappped around until I got it fixed under warranty.

As many have said it’s a common problem and a few mins to fix and expect local dealer most likely to have one in stock

@jassyo06 is ther not a manual override switch/lever accessed through the boot right hand side access panel, behind where the tool kit is usually stored.

He's tried that and that broke as well

It's a common issue on Q5's I think as well - Probably all models to be honest as I'm sure they use the same part

Well they've snapped open the fuel and process broken the locking mechanism so got to work that'll do for now, he did say if l had broken it myself they wouldn't have covered it under warranty

Reactions: BarryG79, Ron240, Daveotto and 4 others
Well they've snapped open the fuel and process broken the locking mechanism so got to work that'll do for now, he did say if l had broken it myself they wouldn't have covered it under warranty

That's nice isn't it - The part fails under warranty and you desperately need fuel but they wouldn't cover it - I know they have to be careful but it's a common issue and it's obvious that it's failed because you've tried the manual release as well (clearly you know what you are doing as bearing in mind a lot of people don't even know that's there)

Reactions: Ron240, Jassyo06 and NevMan
I think if you told them in advance you were stranded in the middle of nowhere and needed fuel so broke the flap they would cover it. I had the aa guy out but it was me that broke it and they covered it under warranty.

Reactions: Ron240, Jassyo06 and NevMan

Really useful comment, running out of fuel but sorry sir you should have closed us 1st

Reactions: Ron240 and Jassyo06
he did say if l had broken it myself they wouldn't have covered it under warranty
What a stupid thing to say, what if you were in the middle of nowhere and needed fuel...you'd have no choice to do it!

I only recently found out that Fords don't have locking fuel flaps and have just done a more secure filling pipe!

Reactions: Ron240
The dealer response to an individual breaking the the flap door lock, especially after trying the manual release, is absolute nonsense. Many owners may live over 30-50 miles from a dealership. I had the same issue with another VAG vehicle.
The situation you described when you were at a petrol station, where an individual was just about to force it open, until you said whoa. Is what many would do to open the flap. The interesting fact is the dealer had to resort to this method. So his statement of no warranty, if you do it is you know what.
@jassyo06 knew what to do by trying the manual release, but many owners in a panic at a petrol station would not know this. Therefore, with an almost empty tank, pry it open!

Reactions: NevMan and Ron240
I only recently found out that Fords don't have locking fuel flaps and have just done a more secure filling pipe!
Yes this is true.....they done away with the locking outer flap when they brought in their "easy fuel" system. I've had 3 of them and think it's as secure as it needs to be. Some people complain that the plastic flap does not lock, but we all know how easy it is to force open if needed.

Reactions: Jassyo06, S32B and NevMan
Hopefully they managed it without doing any paint damage?
Are they ordering the part for you then just pop in and fit while you wait? :)

Hopefully they managed it without doing any paint damage?
Are they ordering the part for you then just pop in and fit while you wait? :)

No paint damage mate,l thought l would have automatically been given a time and date which suited me to fit a new part..but sadly not anyway l was too eager to get to work,l will phone them tomorrow and get it booked in for a Saturday morning

On a side note...as l walked into reception l noticed 2 cars one a A4 face lift and the other a new A1...both in Turbo Blue....my heart just sank.........even l thought they where in Voodoo Blue...on further inspection they are more of a Milky Miami blue.....but too most punters they will be the same.....Voodoo is a bit bolder....but l thought **** you Audi....you've....lost my custom...not just because of the paint colour but because of a accumulation of things

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NevMan, MikeParkin, BarryG79 and 2 others
@jassyo06 - Had loads of probs with this on my old B8 A4
Its the solenoid that causes all the probs

You should be alright as your S3 is under warranty tho mate

No paint damage mate,l thought l would have automatically been given a time and date which suited me to fit a new part..but sadly not anyway l was too eager to get to work,l will phone them tomorrow and get it booked in for a Saturday morning

On a side note...as l walked into reception l noticed 2 cars one a A4 face lift and the other a new A1...both in Turbo Blue....my heart just sank.........even l thought they where in Voodoo Blue...on further inspection they are more of a Milky Miami blue.....but too most punters they will be the same.....Voodoo is a bit bolder....but l thought **** you Audi....you've....lost my custom...not just because of the paint colour but because of a accumulation of things

I think my ****....You Audi was justifiable............

Reactions: NevMan, MikeParkin and Bristle Hound
I think my ****....You Audi was justifiable............
@jassyo06 - Not saying it isn't my friend
You know the rules naughty boy !
punishment-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

mischievous-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

PS Know how you feel mate, when the dumpties at my Audi garage wrecked an alloy when my S4 was in for service
Hence I now drive a Cupra

Reactions: V6_Man, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Make sure when you get it fixed you can still see the red cord in the boot.
The engineers, I use this term loosely, will forget to route it back in the right place. You don’t want to be fishing for that cable in the cold dark wind and rain next time it breaks. There will be a next time:wink:

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Ron240 and Jassyo06
Make sure when you get it fixed you can still see the red cord in the boot.
The engineers, I use this term loosely, will forget to route it back in the right place. You don’t want to be fishing for that cable in the cold dark wind and rain next time it breaks. There will be a next time:wink:

Cheers mate.....The "Engineer" was a real nice young lad that popped the flap .....he was the only guy in the place at 08-00....PUT A COVER OVER THE SEAT ETC ETC...Enthusiastic shall l say......and said l wont damage the paint...lol

Reactions: NevMan, MikeParkin, BarryG79 and 3 others
Only need one. That's why the rectum is such a great design. Think how wide yer khazi would need to be if you had four!