Fuel - Last 7L takes ages to get in

Shark RS3

Reaction score
Hi all. Hope you can help me with this to let me know if I'm on my own with it, or its common.

Fuel light comes on, so I fill up and the first 50 litres goes in fine. It then takes about 10 minutes to completely fill the tank. Trickling the fuel in and nozzle keeps cutting off.

Rather annoying when you’re off on a long journey and want max range.

Thanks, David

Not mine... NO problem at all to fill to the brim...

Nor mine, everything fine..... just need to find the hole in the actual petrol tank haha

Reactions: 45bvtc
There must be some form of valve to let air in or out as fuel is filled or used?

Maybe you're using something other than SHELL V-POWER David and your RS3 is maybe trying to tell you something... :tapedshut:

Every time I'm at a SHELL station Bluey just says "FILL me with that V-POWER stuff", and I do... :racer:

Reactions: T-800
You say that the light comes on and you can then fill 50L no problem.

The thing is when the light come son you actually still have about 7-8L in the tank.

Most I've ever managed to fill was 55L on my S3 Sportback (same tank) and that was after the light had been on for nearly 50 miles and the needle was well below the red line (I was stuck with nowhere to fill up)

You should not overfill the tank, if you do then it gets into emissions evap system, not good (on the S3 at least)

No problems here either ... I find it best to just keep it at full flow until it clicks off and then finish.

If I try to trickle feed any more in, then it will just keep cutting out so I don't bother.

David

Totally with you there mate. I fill up to the max every time and whatever the fuel/station always end up dribbling in the final circa 5 litres in over about 3 mins. Haven't experienced this minor issue with another car but equally the RS3 does <300 miles to a tank so I always cram it in.

Always super, if not v-power...

Cheers

Marcus

When the fuel gets to qtr I just pull in and refuel, I fill up until the pump clicks off, never really tried to get any more in after it clicks off don't see the point, it clicks off the pump for a reason.

Plenty of petrol stations around nowadays........

David

Totally with you there mate. I fill up to the max every time and whatever the fuel/station always end up dribbling in the final circa 5 litres in over about 3 mins. Haven't experienced this minor issue with another car but equally the RS3 does <300 miles to a tank so I always cram it in.

Always super, if not v-power...

Cheers

Marcus

I'm sure I used to get 310miles. Filled up once at Mobile, then got 255 miles on a full tank. Then next time back at Shell on 95Ron I think I got about 280 miles. Never use Mobile again although have used Total before as I have hired a Baby Aston Martin Vantage and the person who dropped the car off said it needed filling and the nearest petrol station apart from Sainsbury's was a Total. So, if it is good for AM surely it is good for Audi!

Today my RS3 really confused me. Drove from home to Manchester Airport & back which should have been 110 miles yet car said it only had 95miles left, yet half way there it magically found some missing fuel. So, instead of being 10 miles should I had over 100+ miles left when I got home, which confused me.
Does going over the Pennines magically gave you back lost fuel? Is so this would make my trip to Huddesfield Audi interesting on Sunday for a Dealership Meet!

Ha ... that happens to me too, quite often ! (Leeds to Manchester and back)

There's so many 50mph limits on the M62 at the moment, your mpg will be well into the 30's on such a cruise !

The remaining mpg on the dash display changes as you travel along (it must work it out on current mpg ?)

I watch mine creep up from 50 miles left at the start (city centre driving) to around 90 as I drop downhill on the other side of the pennines !

Filled up this morning with Shell Vpower Nitro & RS3 said I should get 395Miles!

I thought you get less MPG when you fill up a tank of petrol on a cold day compared to a warm or hot day, or does that not make any difference?

If you look at the end of a petrol nozzle, it has a small inner pipe too.
This must some sort of suction tube, and when it sucks air, petrol flows.
If it starts sucking fluid, it auto shuts off the fuel flow. However, fuel froths a lot too, so you may not have filled the tank by a long way and it will still shut off if some of the froth is sucked up.
I brim the tank by filling until the first shut off, then carefully pull out the nozzle (ooh er!) until I can see the end and then carefully brim the tank. No shutting off but be careful or else wet flammable shoes!
My car recalculates mileage left all the time, if I go onto the m-way I get 10s of miles more.
PS I drove for at least 20-25 miles once with empty tank warning and 0 miles left on the gauge when I couldn't find a petrol station and it still had a few litres in the tank. Better that way then to run out in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, long post.

When I got the car new I noticed that when I filled it up the fuel gauge dropped off full after 10 miles or so. It was only six months ago I took the time to max the tank and it took 10 mins.

I allways use Shell V Power from different pumps at the same garage - cheers John

Anyway car is in at Watford audi today and I will let you know what they find.

Thanks David

Also loving Shells lego promo at the moment.

Get a lego for 1.99 when you fill up and sell it on eBay for £8 +

Filled up straight after a long 50mph cruise through motorway road works and was greeted with this :

580 left b

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Wow 580 miles I wish !

Update from Audi - Car was in last week for service and to look at this problem. I spoke to the tech after the service and he started of saying about diffrent fuel nozzels etc, but when I explained again that if you hold the noizzle right on the lip of the filler you still have to dribble it in. Anyway he said that I sould take it away and try other garages, but if I still had a problem he would need three weeks notice but would fit a new fuel tank that apparently has a modified breather system.

Also loving Shells lego promo at the moment.

Get a lego for 1.99 when you fill up and sell it on eBay for £8 +

Hmm... After the first week my regular Shell had sold out of the Lego Shell Petrol Tanker. Would have thought after last time extra stock would have been produced?

I had that a few days after the Lego promo started sold out !!!!!!