Fuel Light on, how many miles left? - 1.9 TDI

iyrix

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just coming up to owning the car a week and half and the fuel light has come on. The computer is showing that i have 55 miles left and its only just on qtr of a tank remaining. Is this normal? Does 50 miles so about right?

Cheers
Graham

sounds right to me mate if you drive nice it will do more but id fill it up :icon_thumright:

Ok thanks, it jsut seemed strange as teh gauge is saying a qtr but only 50 miles!. Will fill up tonight! :D

i think its a safty thing mate i thought that when mine did it the first few time but that around town on a run it would go up too about 100

I've ran my avant tdi down to 5 miles left in the tank and then filled it right up which took 67litres, meaning in theory there should still have been 3 litres in there as it's a 70 litre tank.

3 litres should give near on 30 miles so I think my DIS errs on the safe side slightly

Thanks,
will run mine down.. see how many miles i can get!

Cheers all.

i see a top gear once and he did some thing like 800 miles on one tank and with a cam in the tank you could see it was bone dry but still running :hubbahubba:

You can normally run them down to zero miles with no problems, I do that and I've still got 4-5 litres left in the tank.

There was a thread on here a while ago "How far have you gone after the DTE gets to 0" - one fella did something like 111 miles with it showing zero!

my fuel light came on just before i got home showing 40 miles range left.

how big is the tank on the 2.5tdi v6 quattro? would be good to figure out how many litres were left in the tank when i fill up, but i might play diesel-russian roulette tomorrow! :)

Saloon and Avant have the same size tanks, the only differences are quattro or fwd at 66 and 70 litres respectively.

right, i couldn't be ***** to mess about wondering whether I was gonna run out of diesel so just been down to the petrol station and brimmed the tank.

it was reading 30 miles on the DIS when i got there, it took 54 litres to fill it up so that means i had 12 litres left in the tank!

so.....my car does approx 35 mpg and there are 4.5 litres in a gallon, 35 / 4.5 = 7.7 miles per litre. 7.7 miles per litre x 12 litres left in the tank before refuelling = 93.3 miles range left in the tank although the DIS was reading 30 miles.....

i think my maths are correct but if not please tell me lol! :icon_thumright:

Right, just back from the petrol station. The DIS was showing 30 miles left in the tank. I filled it up with about 10 clicks and it only took 64.15 litres.
So i think i have just under 6 litres left in the tank and whatever is in the fuel lines. Guess i could have done another 50 miles on that! :)

This is my first fill up since i got the car, this including a long trip back from collecting the car.
Very happy with the MPG. I think that it will be slighly lower around town etc.

Petrol1.jpg

i did a test like the above one with my sat nav and it hit 62mpg on a run but i was driving at 65mph

my dis counted doen to 0 ont he trip home yesterday- got to 0 with a further 25 miles till home- got home no problem and drove to petrol station this morning circs 5 miles, only put £20 quid in mind as v expensive place (im tight ****!) but the dis does seem to air on the side of safety!

thats what thought maybe its a safty thing audi do as to stop you draging up crap from the bottom of the tank

every possibility simon- its not reccomended to do, just every now and then these things happen!

Am liking the iPhone App gonna have a play with it good work iyrix :icon_thumright:

No probs, i used the free version for a year on my Clio. Will post up some of the results later. Pro version is a lot better.

This is from my Clio 172 - Just under 1 years of fuel...

photo.jpg
photo1.jpg