Facelift Fuel RON doubts

Robopilingui

Reaction score
I have searched in the forum for this question and I couldn't find anything so here it goes. In the Spanish brochure it is said that the car must be filled with Super Plus petrol which is the 98 RON petrol. My question is: if no 98 RON is available, can it be filled with 95 RON? What can happen to the car due to that?

In the UK site, it says that required one is "Petrol". Is it 95 RON or 97/99/102 RON for you guys?

UK has 95/97/99 RON Rated fuels.

Difference can be as much as a 10% power loss from 99-95 ron according to MRC tuning. Why buy a 400hp car, stick cheap fuel in it and end up with a 360hp one?

The car is tuned from factory on 98. 99-102 will see an ignition advance, 97 to 95 will see an ignition ******.

On a standard tune, 95 is okay, just with a loss of power. Ron rating offers a knock protection, the last thing you would want to do is fit a tuning box, run it on 95 ron fuel and then go do some hot laps or an autobahn top speed run. Kabooom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beebee-one and AudiNutta
just put the minimum 95 ron in until you can get super unleaded.

& as noted above.

I use T99 / momentum. Always have always will.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Great! Thanks guys. I will always put 98 but I just wanted to know if 95 was OK in case of an "emergency" :grinning:

It need not be only for emergencies. I drive across France's motorways to Germany and the UK, where it is mostly a steady 130 on cc where power matters not. To save a few cents I use basic 95 on these motorways and top up with the good stuff when I hit the Autobahns. With the RS3 drinking fuel as it does, surprising how much can be saved! But, I would like to do a test one day to see what the actual difference would be as the car would be more efficient on 98/99 and maybe less thirsty in the long run...

It need not be only for emergencies. I drive across France's motorways to Germany and the UK, where it is mostly a steady 130 on cc where power matters not. To save a few cents I use basic 95 on these motorways and top up with the good stuff when I hit the Autobahns. With the RS3 drinking fuel as it does, surprising how much can be saved! But, I would like to do a test one day to see what the actual difference would be as the car would be more efficient on 98/99 and maybe less thirsty in the long run...

Hi Hal I will be looking at using the 3 over to France at least three times next year so is RON 99 fuel readily available on the auto route services? Reading back now this sounds a bit of a daft question but have always driving over there in a diesel so chucked in any old grade diesel into it

Shell V-power nitro and when that isn't available Tesco Momentum 99.....

Reactions: DW81
Hi Hal I will be looking at using the 3 over to France at least three times next year so is RON 99 fuel readily available on the auto route services? Reading back now this sounds a bit of a daft question but have always driving over there in a diesel so chucked in any old grade diesel into it
The readily available fuel on the autoroutes will be 95 and 97-98. You will find '99' now and again, but mostly it is 'Supreme 98'. But you will find 95 perfectly OK on the autoroutes with the cc set at 137. Even set at this, you will be on the outside lane most of the time. Watch the speeding - the gendarmes are pretty unforgiving and humourless bunch, but you should be OK with the cameras as they are always preceded by the largest sign you will ever see warning about cameras ahead! ...I know, but this is France!

The readily available fuel on the autoroutes will be 95 and 97-98. You will find '99' now and again, but mostly it is 'Supreme 98'. But you will find 95 perfectly OK on the autoroutes with the cc set at 137. Even set at this, you will be on the outside lane most of the time. Watch the speeding - the gendarmes are pretty unforgiving and humourless bunch, but you should be OK with the cameras as they are always preceded by the largest sign you will ever see warning about cameras ahead! ...I know, but this is France!
Cheers for the reply mate. Those auto routes in France are great aren’t they, you can cover hundreds of miles and be lucky if you touch your brake peddle a couple of times within the journey :sunglasses::sunglasses: