Fuel smell?

A

AudiB720TS

A month or so ago, while parking the car next to a colleague, he remarked: "it smells fuel, is it me or you?"

Today, while working outside the car (fixing side mirror) I smelled it too. I then popped the hood and sniffed around. There is definitely a smell of fuel from around the area of the HPFP. I cannot see any leak and nothing is wet. But it smells. The HPFP was installed back in January and I have put plenty of miles on the car since.

Should I be worried?

Any fuel smell should be looked at and the source found, if you can smell fuel then you have a leak somewhere , and if fuel vapour is escaping from a loose joint or failing seal , well not good really as fuel vapour is the worse part of petrol.
Also the problem with small fuel leaks is that they can appear to be dry very quickly in a hot engine bay so not easy to see them , and fuel smells can be very hard to locate , they seem to come from everywhere .
maybe check all around the fuel pump area and fuel lines /connections .

rob

I guess that's the obvious answer. Was just hoping for the opposite ;)
Will tighten what I can access, then wait until I do the carb cleaning to recheck everything more thoroughly.

Thanks