Fuel tank calibration?

@udi A3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.immotec.co.uk
I saw some menus on vcds relating to the fuel tank.
Since fitting a full dis and MTE, the MTE has always been too high, and goes down too slow.
The fuel needle has always gone 120-150 miles before moving off the full mark.

Can i recalibrate with vcds?
Also looking at dash cluster codings, the cluster was from a quatro tdi, should i be coding it to 2wd, i read somewhere the quatro has 2 tanks, or a larger tank, could this be the problem? Where should i start looking?

Thanks tom.

If your car isn't a Quattro I would recode it as Quattro tanks are different shape and size to accommodate the propshaft. I would try this first before recalibrating the level sensor.

Calibrating the level sensor requires draining the tank dry then only putting in what is seen as reserve quantity (see handbook about 8 litres I think) then you set the gauge up by hitting a button as the reserve lamp comes on. Not sure if that is how VCDS works but that's how the VW diag system works when I did one at work the other week.

So my next noob question, how to recode as a non quatro?! :D
It LOOKs straightforward, but i pooped myself after doing brake testing thingy with vcds yesterday, and then realised i had to go on a drive to get the abs working again! so i figure it will be very easy to break something!

Recoded it, read my old logs before the dash change and was just one easy digit needed changing.
Ian, thats interesting, wonder if i should go to the dealer and ask them to do this when the roof is painted next month.

do you mind tellng us exactly what you did in vag com
i have exactly the same issue with the same car
cheers
nath

Dualmono, I just recoded the clocks to suit the 2wd car, as they came from a quattro. Have you done the same? If so the coding helper in vcds tells you what code to use. My mpg has settled over time to a beleivable figure, and the MTW seems a little more accurate now.