Funny Noise When Car Changes Gear

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
As per title guys, sometimes the car makes a funny trumpet kinda noise. Like blowing on a piece of paper at the end. Doesnt always do it but when it does its when it changing gear like its the wastegate or something. Engine is a 1.4tfsi 150.

Any ideas guys?

Trumpet type noise sounds like dsg farts but didn’t think the 1.4 had them.

Don't think its a DSG fart, (car is a 7 speed auto) sound comes from the engine and only does it now and again. does sound like the wastegate making a funny noise.

Last edited:
Dsg farts only happens with me in dynamic mode and full throttle shifts but yeah sounds like you have other issues. Could be something simple like something loose like air filter.
Hope you get it sorted

So guys, went to Audi today and the tech said its the electronic motor selecting the next gear and is a charateristic of the dsg gearbox, he was unble to produce the same noise, however they did run a full diag and it came back fine.

So guys, went to Audi today and the tech said its the electronic motor selecting the next gear and is a charateristic of the dsg gearbox, he was unble to produce the same noise, however they did run a full diag and it came back fine.

Sounds like BS to me.
Don’t think it’s an actual motor in the box. It’s the mechatronic box that controls fluids to shift as far as I know. First gen dsg boxes were bad for breaking the mechatronic unit.

He said it was a dry system and the gears are changed electronically. Either way its not effecting the car in anyway and they said as soon as it does to go back. He was actually an alright guy and seemed very knowledgable. It spent 3 hours in diag and nothing flagged up which i guess is good enough me. Also since I have it back it hasnt done it once.

I have the 1.5 TFSI 150 Auto, if I put my foot down just a tiny bit more than I usually would from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th then the car makes an ‘EEEEEEEEEEEEEK’ sound... I’m thinking it’s the clutch and Stoke Audi had it for half a day and told me they’d have to submit a query to Audi UK as they don’t know what it is...

I need my car for commuting and don’t really have the time for them to have it in for a few days because they won’t supply me with a courtesy car as I’m only 19... it’s ridiculous! Changing their policy to 21 & over only on the insurance is disgusting.

Basically I just have to put up with it knowing that there’s pretty much nothing I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that sounds very simular to mine, between 3rd and 4th I get a errrrrr sound, only for a second tho and when im giving abit more than normal.

I wonder what it could be, surely someone else has heard it, would be good to get to the bottom of it.

Any Guru's on here can help ?

Reactions: 1future
Yeah that sounds very simular to mine, between 3rd and 4th I get a errrrrr sound, only for a second tho and when im giving abit more than normal.

I wonder what it could be, surely someone else has heard it, would be good to get to the bottom of it.

Any Guru's on here can help ?

Does it sound as if you’re in a manual and you’ve not lifted the clutch up all the way and you’ve accelerated? My mrs drives a manual Fiesta and does this sometimes by accident and it sounds exactly like my issue.

If you get an answer or a fix please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said it was a dry system and the gears are changed electronically. Either way its not effecting the car in anyway and they said as soon as it does to go back. He was actually an alright guy and seemed very knowledgable. It spent 3 hours in diag and nothing flagged up which i guess is good enough me. Also since I have it back it hasnt done it once.

Just saw this. It will be a dry clutch but the dsg operates by hydraulic fluids for gear changes within the mechatronic(mechanical-electronic) box all controlled by the gearbox ecu or tcu as some call it. So yes it’s electronic in nature but it’s all mechanical. Dsg if just a fancy manual car in essence, there’s still flywheel, clutch plates and gears only difference it can change for you.
How old is the car and mileage?
Could be low in fluids if it sounds like it struggling to change/engage gears or could be due an oil change.
Not sure how you check the fluid levels.

Car is just over 2 year old and done 23k. the car has just had a service and oil change at 21K. but dont think it had any other fluids changed.

Doesnt always do it but the guy mentioned about being due soon to some sort of oil change?

Car is just over 2 year old and done 23k. the car has just had a service and oil change at 21K. but dont think it had any other fluids changed.

Doesnt always do it but the guy mentioned about being due soon to some sort of oil change?

Dsg used to be 38k or 4 years not sure on newer cars. Some say sealed for life etc. In my opinion nothing last forever. Sealed for life says to me will last till end of warranty. Earlier dsg boxes were bad for the mechatronic box failing and it was £1k for the part alone.

I was told there were no transmission fluid changes for my 1.4 A3.

Well I think we are completely stumped then? As previous said seems to only do it between 3rd and 4th under hard accel, and is intermittent and doesnt seem to cause any issue and was not picked up on a 3 hour Diag at Audi.... is a strange one.

UPDATE - Audi have replaeced the Clutch as there is a technical bulletin regarding this issue. Well theres 2 actually, One is to also put sound deading to stop noise coming from the gearbox.

One is to also put sound deading to stop noise coming from the gearbox.

Haha, so a noise that's not detrimental in itself, so they just try to stop folk hearing it, rather than stop it happening :)

I used to be able to hear when the dsg was selecting gear but now I carnt. It didnt really bother me to be fair but it was done to the car anyway.

UPDATE - Audi have replaeced the Clutch as there is a technical bulletin regarding this issue. Well theres 2 actually, One is to also put sound deading to stop noise coming from the gearbox.
Thanks for creating this thread, have had the exact same issue with my A3. Also went in for diag with no results and all the mechs were stumped. Is the clutch replacement to stop the noise or is this noise a sign the clutch is going to fail?

Thanks for creating this thread, have had the exact same issue with my A3. Also went in for diag with no results and all the mechs were stumped. Is the clutch replacement to stop the noise or is this noise a sign the clutch is going to fail?
No, They put "Shims" in to stop the noise.

I have a 2018 Audi A3 Sedan 1.5 TFSI 150 with the exact same issue. It seems like the "trumpet" noise varies depending on which "mode" you drive in. When you drive in the Eco-setting, the trumpet sound usually appears between gear 5-6, while you drive in dynamic it's between gear 2-3 and when you drive on comfort it's between gear 4-5. Also, I can't seem to reproduce it every single time.

I've scheduled an appointment with the Audi service partner at the beginning of December. But over the phone, they seemed like they didn't know at all what it could be. Do you have any more information regarding the technical bulletins you mentioned?

Hi there, is this a S-Tronic gearbox? I was able to record the sound on my phone and showed them it.
As soon as I did the tech knew what it was. Mine would only kick in after about an hour of driving.
They said it was something to do with the shims ? anyway it fixed it and hasnt done it since.
I dont have the TSB sorry.