Funny smell coming from front vents!

scoss

Reaction score
Noticed this this morning and thought it was my air con. It’s not been regassed for 2 and a bit years. However the smell came back when air con has been off for a while.

Smell is most noticeable when the air is directed at the passenger. Say the temp is set to 20c, when I adjust and change to 19.5 and 19c I can hear the vents adjusting like they should do. It’s when this vent adjustment happens then this smell comes in. It’s not a terrible smell but def not nice.

Question is, can the vents get blocked up with leafs etc? Are the vents under the bonnet if so?
Lastly, could this still be air con related? Like I said the smell is still there even with it off.

Is there a vent type service that Audi offer to freshen things up?

Thanks

Check the pollen filter and see if something has died in the air box. I would say while you are there replace the pollen filter as well.
You can get those air con bombs that kills smells and bacteria.

Check the pollen filter and see if something has died in the air box. I would say while you are there replace the pollen filter as well.
You can get those air con bombs that kills smells and bacteria.

Would you get the filter changed as well as the bomb?

Where exactly is the pollen filter located?

Would you get the filter changed as well as the bomb?

Where exactly is the pollen filter located?

Not done this myself but here’s a video.

After you remove filter get the vacuum out and suck all the crap out the hole where the filter is.
When the filter is out turn fans on full and all the crap will blow out the filter hole.

Reactions: scoss
If you have climate control AC, then I would recommend leaving it on Auto all the time, as this is how the system is designed to work the most efficiently.

This is what I did with my previous A3, and now with my Q5, and I've never experienced any problem with smells.

If you have climate control AC, then I would recommend leaving it on Auto all the time, as this is how the system is designed to work the most efficiently.

This is what I did with my previous A3, and now with my Q5, and I've never experienced any problem with smells.

Yes I admit it’s very odd. Saying that I’m not sure a if my pollen filter might need changing too.

Definitely check the filter. Mine was disgusting and needed changing. It’s an easy job and there is a thread about it (I posted the part numbers). Leaves can also accumulate under the bonnet at the bottom of the windscreen and get stuck to make a foul smelling wet compost under the plastic scuttle cover ( this also blocks proper drainage from the windscreen).

Noticed this this morning and thought it was my air con. It’s not been regassed for 2 and a bit years. However the smell came back when air con has been off for a while.

Smell is most noticeable when the air is directed at the passenger. Say the temp is set to 20c, when I adjust and change to 19.5 and 19c I can hear the vents adjusting like they should do. It’s when this vent adjustment happens then this smell comes in. It’s not a terrible smell but def not nice.

Question is, can the vents get blocked up with leafs etc? Are the vents under the bonnet if so?
Lastly, could this still be air con related? Like I said the smell is still there even with it off.

Is there a vent type service that Audi offer to freshen things up?

Thanks
Yes a audi air con service is around £65 and will include a recharge and cleaning of the bacteria in the vents that causes the smell...

Pollen filter fixed the issue for me. Get a good quality one. Mann or Bosch

Thanks all,

Just got it all done. Guy said it was the pollen filter. He said it looked like it had never been changed! Which I’m really annoyed about as i thought it would of been changed with my full service.

Thanks all,

Just got it all done. Guy said it was the pollen filter. He said it looked like it had never been changed! Which I’m really annoyed about as i thought it would of been changed with my full service.
Optional extra to change pollen filter and air con service. I get bad allergies so change it every year myself on all my cars. It’s like a tenner for a new filter.

Optional extra to change pollen filter and air con service. I get bad allergies so change it every year myself on all my cars. It’s like a tenner for a new filter.

Yeah I’m gonna get it changed each year as I do 20k too.

Pollen filter is something we always tend to forget if you don't suffer with allergies, But if you do, It's a ****** good thing to get checked!

If I had a £10 for every pollen filter I've seen that has either never been changed, or not changed for years - I'd be retired tax exile in Monaco :glee:

Reactions: hopgop1 and Light
Bought my A3 10 days ago and yep a funny smell (which you quickly forget is there) on first entry...cabin filter is on its way! :D

Reactions: Retroman
You can tell where a car came from by the state of the pollen filter. City = black, country = straw and feathers. Leaves mean the car was parked under or near trees. :congratulatory: Many major filter manufacturers like Purflux are now suggesting a yearly change.

Reactions: kcpism
Mine is country, I am yet to pull the filter but I have a few bit of green shoots growing from under the bonnet near the wipers :wtf: