Further thoughts needed on S3 8P Milltek exhaust tips

prt57

Reaction score
Hi,
I am still deliberating on getting a new Milltek cat back for my S3 8P.

Against the popular choice, I fancy the Jet style tail pipes which are the closest to OEM styling. I cannot easily find out from the net if the tail pipes are detachable. Some photos show detachable tips and so they can be adjusted in and out to suit whereas others show welded tips and so you are stuck with no choice if it is too long or too short. My son has just had a Milltek cat back fitted to a Golf 7 R and we could adjust the tips fully.

So calling on everyone with a S3 8P Milltek cat back - are the tips detachable?

If they are not detachable, do they stick out too much, too little or just right?

Also, does the back box hang below the rear valance or is it hidden like the OEM backbox? Any photos I have found do not seem to clarify this so far.

All photos and thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
PeterT

Miltek tips are welded on mate and they sit perfect on the splitter, I will get a picture for you in 10 pal

Looking again they do stick out a little but I'm sure with adjustment mine will sit further back, I fitted the full turbo back on axle stands so it wasn't the easiest! Excuse my dirty tips

1c21913015d88b7a4ebea81cd4f8613c.jpg

409c87b73f66ad32a77fe3072ed24450.jpg

Looking again they do stick out a little but I'm sure with adjustment mine will sit further back, I fitted the full turbo back on axle stands so it wasn't the easiest! Excuse my dirty tips

1c21913015d88b7a4ebea81cd4f8613c.jpg

409c87b73f66ad32a77fe3072ed24450.jpg

That is great, thank you very much for taking the time to take the photos.

No worries mate, like I say I'm sure it will sit slightly further in than that with a fiddle

I have a milltek cat back in the garage with the smaller oem style jet tips, as said they are welded on as are the slightly larger gt80 tips which I have on the car atm.
The gt80's do fill the valance cut out better though.
I'll get you some pics of the back box off the car later if it's any use to you.

I have a milltek cat back in the garage with the smaller oem style jet tips, as said they are welded on as are the slightly larger gt80 tips which I have on the car atm.
The gt80's do fill the valance cut out better though.
I'll get you some pics of the back box off the car later if it's any use to you.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, all photos would be great.

Here you go

One of the jet tipped back box off the car

And one of the GT80 on the car

The silencer is fairly well hidden behind the bumper

Hi Ju,
Thank you very much for those photos.
I can go and compare the appearance cr with my oem pipes in the morning.

Does anyone have a photo of the jet pipes in situ?

Cheers,
Peter

Actually I have this from when I bought the car.
Tbh I didn't even realise it was a milltek when I got the car approved used!

I've got jet pipes. Will try to dig out photos when it was fitted, failing thet i'll get fresh pics for you tommorow on the daylight.

Not very recent but a Milltek nonetheless ....

Shows the tips and the back box well.

Thanks for the photo Alex, tailpipes nicely centralised.
Some I have seen have had a wider gap at one side of the aperture in the diffuser. Do you know if the tips can be adjusted left and right via the exhaust car body mounting brackets to centralise them if required?
Also, I think I can see that your Milltek is non resonated. Did you get any drone at motorway speeds?
Cheers,
Peter

Reactions: S3Alex
You can make them more central with twisting the exhaust and pushing it about! Mines not 100% central either, advisable to use Ramps to get it spot on, axle stands just make you swear a lot and give you a bad neck and wonky exhaust

Thanks for the photo Alex, tailpipes nicely centralised.
Some I have seen have had a wider gap at one side of the aperture in the diffuser. Do you know if the tips can be adjusted left and right via the exhaust car body mounting brackets to centralise them if required?
Also, I think I can see that your Milltek is non resonated. Did you get any drone at motorway speeds?
Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter,

As I understand it,there is a bit of room for adjustment with the long metal hunger you can see on that pic,to centralise it,and that was always fine on mine,even after the second back box which you can see in that pic.
One of the welds on the original had failed and Milltek replaced it FOC.

As far as I can remember,the tips are the Jet patterns,and they are welded in place.

They look like the GT80 tips Alex.
The milltek is also quite a tight fit underneath.
It's close on 3 points

Propshaft coupling, Chassis and Anti roll bar and so requires a little patience fitting the pipes together and getting it to sit in the best place. Obviously this is easier on ramps but I've never had the luxury!

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
They look like the GT80 tips Alex.
The milltek is also quite a tight fit underneath.
It's close on 3 points

Propshaft coupling, Chassis and Anti roll bar and so requires a little patience fitting the pipes together and getting it to sit in the best place. Obviously this is easier on ramps but I've never had the luxury!

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

I think you're right,but the patterns have changed quite a bit so my apologies there.

As to fitting...yes there are a few tight areas,and mine rubs against the propshaft area when the road is very wet,and squeals like a pig.
It's coming off anyway,for BCS to build a much bigger,less restrictive system for me.

Reactions: -Ju-
Here you go mate, excuse for dirty tips seems that washers need extra note for cleaning the tips. It's also slightly to the right but it can be adjusted to sit in the middle of the hole.
20160722 134311 20160722 134217

Hi,
I am still deliberating on getting a new Milltek cat back for my S3 8P.

Against the popular choice, I fancy the Jet style tail pipes which are the closest to OEM styling. I cannot easily find out from the net if the tail pipes are detachable. Some photos show detachable tips and so they can be adjusted in and out to suit whereas others show welded tips and so you are stuck with no choice if it is too long or too short. My son has just had a Milltek cat back fitted to a Golf 7 R and we could adjust the tips fully.

So calling on everyone with a S3 8P Milltek cat back - are the tips detachable?

If they are not detachable, do they stick out too much, too little or just right?

Also, does the back box hang below the rear valance or is it hidden like the OEM backbox? Any photos I have found do not seem to clarify this so far.

All photos and thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
PeterT

Hi Peter,
I have an A3 2.0T (non-quattro) and fitted a Milltek cat-back resonated backbox with GT80 tips. These tips are definitely detachable and can slide on-off for the right adjustment. At first I wasn't happy with how the tips sat because they stuck out too far (even though they were slid in the furthest they could go. Apparently this could be to do with how far 'on' the backbox is connected ie it could be pulled a bit further toward the front of the car. Instead, i just had the tips cut away slightly so that they tucked further in and now they are near enough perfect, see before and after pics.

7108-1459547037-4baeac9872c748d75e96bf8b32c1d9e2.jpg

7109-1459547039-1a06dfaef4a9c3df24933e9032ba239c.jpg

Also regarding seeing the backbox, yes you can but maybe I need to invest in a S3 rear bumper ;)

6885-1454617893-7abffd8668053a86a3a217d6a4170975.jpg

Cheers
Donny

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to upload the photos. That is why this is such a great forum!

Cheers,
Peter

Reactions: -Ju-, Cambaines, S3Alex and 1 other person
I've got the jet pipes but got them sprayed matt black for the uber sleeper look. Milltek now offer something similar themselves.
Black tailpipes