Fwd issues.

Ian Whiffen

Reaction score
Have had an on going problem with my S1 being front wheel drive. Had the haldex pump done before and always had Haldex oil changed and gearbox oil etc. VCDS showed no faults but my mechanic tracked it down to a problem on the rear diff. A new one is £5000 but managed to source a low mileage one for £500 and it's done the trick. Seems to be a problem on Quattro because there is an RS3 in there, 2016 plate and 20000 miles on the clock with the same problem. He couldn't source a 2nd hand rear diff so he had to spend £6000 on one as it's out of warranty

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have had an on going problem with my S1 being front wheel drive. Had the haldex pump done before and always had Haldex oil changed and gearbox oil etc. VCDS showed no faults but my mechanic tracked it down to a problem on the rear diff. A new one is £5000 but managed to source a low mileage one for £500 and it's done the trick. Seems to be a problem on Quattro because there is an RS3 in there, 2016 plate and 20000 miles on the clock with the same problem. He couldn't source a 2nd hand rear diff so he had to spend £6000 on one as it's out of warranty

Ouch! Glad you found a suitable used one!

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
Probably not related but has the haldex gauze been cleaned as well? It's not even part of the Audi service schedule but they block up after about 15k miles which then kills the pump and the car goes to fwd mode but with no warning lights.

Reactions: Ian Whiffen
Probably not related but has the haldex gauze been cleaned as well? It's not even part of the Audi service schedule but they block up after about 15k miles which then kills the pump and the car goes to fwd mode but with no warning lights.
Yeah the gauze has been cleaned and fresh Haldex oil. It's been an on going problem for a long time now. There is a problem with the rear diff, it's the clutch plates but Audi will only sell you a new diff.

That's insane they're charging 1/6th of the car's selling price for just a diff. I don't care what costs are involved in stocking & logistics, there must be a hell of a mark up on that. Wonder what Skoda charge for the Superb's rear diff which might even be the same part..