FWD vs Quattro - A6 Avant

Jean-Louis

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm on the hunt for a 2020 A6 black edition Avant and am toying over whether to go for a 40 TDI FWD or justify the extra cost for the Quattro version. I live in London and will probably do a trip to France once a year with the odd trip to Italy or Switzerland. Do you think i really need it?

Thanks all!
Louis

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I’d say no, 99% of the time you don’t need quattro. It’s nice to have for times when the roads are slippy but you’ll loose maybe 20% in fuel economy. My current A6 is FWD, it’s averaging low 50’s (mpg), my previous car had the same engine but was quattro and averaged low 40s. I had winter tyres on my previous car, it was brilliant in the snow.

if you’re going to France and Switzerland during winter I’d say go for quattro.

OP, i bought an A6 Avant Black Edition 40 TDI Quattro last Winter. My main reason for getting a Quattro was because of the poor weather (snow & black ice) we get up here in the Highlands in Winter. So far, been very impressed with the Quattro, no issues driving in heavy snow last Feb, car felt very planted at all times. Getting around 600 miles to a full tank (standard size), mainly A roads driving. I'd say go for a Quattro if you can, but....40 TDI Quattros seem to be extremely rare beasts on the road so you may have to do with a standard 40 TDI.

...my previous car had the same engine but was quattro and averaged low 40s. I had winter tyres on my previous car, it was brilliant in the snow.
Hi MPTT,

Was the previous A6 with Quattro Ultra ?

Thanks,
--C

Thanks for your comments chaps - appreciate. I'll be wafting around London mostly and trips to the continent will predominantly be during the summer months. Interesting that Quattro results in roughly a 20% deterioration on economy for you... 40 TDI Quattros seem to be rare beasts anyway! I'm definately after pan rood and comfort and sound pack for the B&O, but am mulling over whether the tech pack is worth it given i use Waze for navigation and can plug phone in to charge via USB...

Also out of interest, which colour would you opt for on a black edition? Mythos black, daytona grey or floret silver? I saw a mythos black (black edition) and it looked fabulous, but have always loved Daytona. I saw a floret silver black edition today in saloon and it did look very smart...

Personally I'm a big fan of having Black Edition Audis in glacier white (metallic white)....though some might say they look like gangster wagons lol

Had a A4 Black Edition in glacier white and now the same for my A6 Black Edition as well:

Reactions: fingermouse, Covfefe and Jean-Louis
Personally I'm a big fan of having Black Edition Audis in glacier white (metallic white)....though some might say they look like gangster wagons lol

Had a A4 Black Edition in glacier white and now the same for my A6 Black Edition as well:

Looks fantastic especially in the snow pics! Only reason i didnt mention glacier white in my choice for the A6 is because i had it on an S3 previously (which i loved) although that wasnt black edition so had the chrome instead. I have to say the black pack does offset the paint beautifully!

No, it was a A5 2.0 tdi quattro
Maybe the A5 Quattro was the classic permanent all wheel drive system ?

Looking at WLTP claimed consumption, we have...
- BE Avant 40 TDI Quattro : Combined 45.6 - 47.1
- BE Avant 40 TDI FWD : Combined 47.1 - 47.9

I think the WLTP numbers are closer (than NEDC) to real world numbers, thus I would expect the Quattro numbers to be within that range ?

Maybe the choice of tyres should make a difference. I use Bridgestone A005 and the ride quality is noticeably improved but with not much affect on fuel consumption.

(Just saying, I don't have Quattro on my current C7, but opted for Quattro on the new C8... and hence trying to justify my own decision ;-) )

Also, the Quattro Ultra on newer A6 attempts to disengage the rear wheels and all the gubbins whenever possible. That should also help with improved fuel economy.

This is an interesting video of the Ultra system --

Cheers,
--C

Thanks for your comments chaps - appreciate. I'll be wafting around London mostly and trips to the continent will predominantly be during the summer months. Interesting that Quattro results in roughly a 20% deterioration on economy for you... 40 TDI Quattros seem to be rare beasts anyway! I'm definately after pan rood and comfort and sound pack for the B&O, but am mulling over whether the tech pack is worth it given i use Waze for navigation and can plug phone in to charge via USB...

Also out of interest, which colour would you opt for on a black edition? Mythos black, daytona grey or floret silver? I saw a mythos black (black edition) and it looked fabulous, but have always loved Daytona. I saw a floret silver black edition today in saloon and it did look very smart...

I have a 40 Quattro Avant in Daytona on order - build week is 16/11/2020, I currently have a white A4 B9 Quattro avant and can confirm the quattro is brilliant, I didnt even consider a FWD version when ordering my A6.

I have a 40 Quattro Avant in Daytona on order - build week is 16/11/2020, I currently have a white A4 B9 Quattro avant and can confirm the quattro is brilliant, I didnt even consider a FWD version when ordering my A6.
Thanks - what aspects of it are brilliant? More planted i can imagine, better in bends?

Thanks - what aspects of it are brilliant? More planted i can imagine, better in bends?

The absolute lack of any wheelspin in any road condition when pulling away. Certainly more planted and loads of grip in the corners.

I drive all over the UK for work. Earlier this year driving across the Yorkshire moors in snow it really made my decision that wherever possible I'd always order an Audi with Quattro. Being able to virtually guarantee not getting stuck is a huge plus.

Also you can have a bit of fun in the snow! ...

Reactions: fingermouse
My A6 saloon 2.0 tdi Quattro is getting a long term average of just over 50mpg. On Fuelly app it is telling me that the average is 11.5 miles / litre. Car is currently on 16k.
Very happy with it after having 3.0 tdi. Great mile muncher