GAP - Anyone claimed?

Xerohour

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just pricing up GAP for my impending delivery and want to ensure I go with a reputable company. I really I'm looking for some testimonials from anyone who has GAP and has ideally dealt with the company for a claim (i love to hear about your experience) or has used them a few times (A company you've used a few times and would recommend).

Id rather pay more now knowing the company pays out without being a pain or won't go bust before i hopefully don't need them?

So whats everyone experience? also any tips would be more than welcome.

(Apologies for starting a new thread, but for some reason i cannot search for GAP using the forums search - it just times-out!)

Thanks in advance!

Never had to claim myself, but know people who have successfully (and hassle free, without protest) claimed from ALA.

I'd just go with ALA personally. Decent prices, reputable, easy to deal with.

Reactions: Xerohour
I used ALA.

Audi wanted £500. I have 4 years of cover from ALA with a maximum claim of £20,000 and it only cost £250 for their premium package.

Reactions: Xerohour and bleedsoff
I've been looking at ALA as well but the vehicle replacement cover, that takes into account price increases and as my spec is more now than when I ordered it, would suit me better than back to invoice (which wouldn't give me enough for a new one)

Reactions: AudiNutta and Xerohour
I took out a policy on my new A4 with Warranty Direct, but then cancelled it after noticing their underwriters are based in Gibraltar. Just didn't feel right.

Took a policy with Ala instead.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta and Xerohour
I took out a policy on my new A4 with Warranty Direct, but then cancelled it after noticing their underwriters are based in Gibraltar. Just didn't feel right.

Took a policy with Ala instead.

My dealer said that you have to check they are based in Mainland Britain. Otherwise, there may be clauses.

Reactions: Migwire
On this, even with same claim limit why are ALA more expensive than Gap123

Check out where the underwriters of gap 123 are based.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Iv had a recent claim hence waiting on a new s3 coming wrote a golf r off
I took the dealer gap insurance and paid out ok but the time I had the car they never had much to pay but watch who you use if you plan to mod as most don't cover mods and they check with ur insurance so if uv declared mods they won't pay

Quite a few for ALA then, I'll get a quote and at least I'll have some figures to hand if the dealer tries to sell me their GAP.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Worth hunting around for an ALA discount code, there's always at least 10% off, quite often more than that.

PISTON12 gets you 12% :grinning:

Reactions: Xerohour and Mark_86

Check out where the underwriters of gap 123 are based.

Underwritten by AM Trust International Underwriters, who carry an ‘A’ rating for financial security. I believe they are UK based.

Underwritten by AM Trust International Underwriters, who carry an ‘A’ rating for financial security. I believe they are UK based.
When I got a quote their underwriters were based in Ireland.

c69343fe6eeac3b9b76eafeef123648d.jpg

When I got a quote their underwriters were based in Ireland.

c69343fe6eeac3b9b76eafeef123648d.jpg

Still a safe bet, some of the older policies were based in Malta :) If I'm correct they still go through Motorway Direct for any claims.

Remember to only get a gap policy that covers from year two onwards, as they won't pay out anything if your insurance does new for old in year one. Gap123 wriggled out of a full pay out when I wrote off a 359 day old car and I lost thousands. After a lot of wrangling they paid me up to the invoice of my new car which was around 3 grand cheaper than the written off one, so I got something, but not all that I was technically owed. I still don't quite know how they paid out for a car I'm currently still driving and not the one that was actually covered, though?!

Remember to only get a gap policy that covers from year two onwards, as they won't pay out anything if your insurance does new for old in year one. Gap123 wriggled out of a full pay out when I wrote off a 359 day old car and I lost thousands. After a lot of wrangling they paid me up to the invoice of my new car which was around 3 grand cheaper than the written off one, so I got something, but not all that I was technically owed. I still don't quite know how they paid out for a car I'm currently still driving and not the one that was actually covered, though?!
I'd start it from day dot my golf was 8 month old and because of facelift and orders closed they couldn't find me a replacement they gave me market value and used the gap to get all money back

I'm a bit confused, I started my 4 year GAP123 from day one even though I had new for old on the insurance. Is this not what should be done then? I thought it was a safer bet?

From memory the insurance will try for a certain time to replace the car and if they can't they'll give you market value somid still do it from day 1.

This is from Direct Line

If your car is less than one year old and you are the first and only registered owner, in order to get you back on the road as quickly as possible with the minimum amount of hassle, we will try to offer you a permanent replacement vehicle of the same make and model. If we can't, your claim will be settled based on the market value of your car when the accident happened, less any excess that may apply.

Reactions: richinsoton and S32B
But in that instance shouldn't your insurer have just replaced your car?

It was a Leon and SEAT had issues at the time with alloy wheel supplies for some reason. There was a 8-10 month wait for a new car so I had no choice but to take the paltry cash offer. Gap123 refused to make up the rest, but begrudgingly relented when I told them of the wait and had been forced to take the cheque instead. The Leon had an invoice price of £27K and the A3 I had instead was £24K. The cash alternative for the Leon was £19K* so the gap insurance should have paid out £8000, but they only paid me £5000 to cover the cost of the Audi instead of the Leon they had agreed to cover.

* Cheapest one on AT was £22K!

I used car 2 cover, ( brokers ) for a like for like replacement, policy lasts 5 years, one off payment of just under £300, with an unlimited cap on claim limit ( some tried to cap it at 20k ) Seemed to tick all the boxes for me. Oh and as long as your modifcations are all above board and declared/accepted by your insurance then they accept those too as had to check check n check again on that one to make sure it was 100% right, as it was pointless purchasing it for it only to be declined due to t's & c's.

Was your cover for total vehicle replacement or back to invoice?

I'd start it from day dot my golf was 8 month old and because of facelift and orders closed they couldn't find me a replacement they gave me market value and used the gap to get all money back

From memory the insurance will try for a certain time to replace the car and if they can't they'll give you market value somid still do it from day 1.

This is from Direct Line

If your car is less than one year old and you are the first and only registered owner, in order to get you back on the road as quickly as possible with the minimum amount of hassle, we will try to offer you a permanent replacement vehicle of the same make and model. If we can't, your claim will be settled based on the market value of your car when the accident happened, less any excess that may apply.

Yep this.

When I looked into it a lot of insurance companies say "If one is available in the UK", when I called and asked what happens if one isn't available in the UK, they replied with "We revert to book price". Hence why I did my GAP from day one.

Reactions: richinsoton and Tom.H
I am with Direct Line. I found a like for like car in stock at a dealer where only the colour was different and they refused to acknowledge it saying the car had to be identical! They were really awkward with me, probably because the accident was my fault and were really pushing me towards the cash offer. "Identical new car with a 10 month wait or a cheque for 3 grand less than you can go and buy another for, sir?". The gap insurance didn't want to pay out because they thought I should do the former and save them money, as per their small print. As DL only provided me with a courtesy car for 2 weeks I was now renting one to get to work in, whilst still paying for the Leon and now they were expecting me to do this for nearly a year!

All of this took around five months to sort out and I'd bought the A3 after two, so for August, September and October of 2015 I was paying for two cars, one of which was a pile of scrap and technically belonged to Direct Line! A very expensive and stressful time...

I am with Direct Line. I found a like for like car in stock at a dealer where only the colour was different and they refused to acknowledge it saying the car had to be identical! They were really awkward with me, probably because the accident was my fault and were really pushing me towards the cash offer. "Identical new car with a 10 month wait or a cheque for 3 grand less than you can go and buy another for, sir?". The gap insurance didn't want to pay out because they thought I should do the former and save them money, as per their small print. As DL only provided me with a courtesy car for 2 weeks I was now renting one to get to work in, whilst still paying for the Leon and now they were expecting me to do this for nearly a year!

All of this took around five months to sort out and I'd bought the A3 after two, so for August, September and October of 2015 I was paying for two cars, one of which was a pile of scrap and technically belonged to Direct Line! A very expensive and stressful time...
That's strange, as on total vehicle replacement they cover the cost of the new car but also allow you to change to another make/model up to and including the value it would cost to replace the car you have covered. What cover did you have return to invoice or total vehicle replacement?

Well after hearing all this I know what I'm going for... replacement GAP! I was contemplating invoice but hearing that has solidly sold it for me.

Well after hearing all this I know what I'm going for... replacement GAP! I was contemplating invoice but hearing that has solidly sold it for me.

This is what swayed me to replacement vehicle plus.

As well as depreciation, it could be that a vehicle matching the one you bought originally costs more – you might have had a discount which is no longer available or the manufacturer might have increased the cost following a change to the model.

It makes sense mate, imagine if you negotiated hard for 12% off and then you need a new car quick, do you think they'd give you the 12% again to reach invoice price??? :) At least you can just order like for like with no worry of the cost. GAP123 even upgrade you to the latest model if one has just come out, others will put you in the exact like for like if there are still old models available.

It makes sense mate, imagine if you negotiated hard for 12% off and then you need a new car quick, do you think they'd give you the 12% again to reach invoice price??? :) At least you can just order like for like with no worry of the cost. GAP123 even upgrade you to the latest model if one has just come out, others will put you in the exact like for like if there are still old models available.

That's the thing with back to invoice, might be a £40k car but if you got decent discount and and paid £36k that's all you'll get so you'd still be £4K short.

When I claimed I had return to invoice and that's the way I'll keep it in got the dealer contribution back in my pocket and a further 1000 that I got off as they were doing a deal if you had a vw in family and we're buying 1, I didn't get any of the discount I got off as ur getting it off the next your gonna buy anyway don't be greedy lol :whip: