Gas/oil smell in Cabin when in traffic

ades

Reaction score
Hi newbie here and looking for some advise. When sitting idling with fan on There is a distinct smell I believe gas (cooker gas), But maybe oil??? it comes in waves and only occurs when stationary in traffic with foot on brake. It happens at cold (running for 5 minutes or less) and at full temperature.

The car is a 2013 Audi A7 Quatro 3.0 Litre TDI. There doesn't seem to be any oil leaks, or leak from exhaust.

I haven't had the car long and apart form this small nuance :) the car is great. Any help or guidance on this issue would be gratefully accepted.

Regards

When you said gas, I assumed petrol fumes, but then you said cooking gas and that totally through me....

Your sure it’s definately not diesel fumes?

Is the smell only present when running the air conditioning?

Do you know when the air conditioning was last serviced?

When you said gas, I assumed petrol fumes, but then you said cooking gas and that totally through me....

Your sure it’s definately not diesel fumes?

Is the smell only present when running the air conditioning?

Do you know when the air conditioning was last serviced?

Hi Thanks for your reply, Yes gas like the smell from a cooker (not petrol). However now I'm thinking more sweet oily smell?I haven't had the car long and not sure when the AC unit was last serviced (if ever) and will look into this. I have been able to isolate the issue somewhat further in that I only get the smell if I'm on at the lights or crawling in traffic and riding the brake. I'm still getting used to an automatic so maybe its the equivalent to riding the clutch on a manual and I should avoid doing this. However when I come to stop and apply the break firmly without rolling the smell isn't present.

Regards

'Sweet/oily' smell, maybe coolant?
Thankyou for rely, I have checked the coolant levels over the last couple of weeks and all looks good, unchanged . Also its more like the smell of gas than coolant.

Regards

I can’t really think of anything fluid wise that could produce the type of smell your describing.

You have diesel, engine oil, transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant and windscreen wash, and all of those have pretty distinctive smells, though l can’t say I’ve smelt used transmission oil before.

Do you have main dealer or independent service history, and if so when was the last service and what mileage?

I can’t really think of anything fluid wise that could produce the type of smell your describing.

You have diesel, engine oil, transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant and windscreen wash, and all of those have pretty distinctive smells, though l can’t say I’ve smelt used transmission oil before.

Do you have main dealer or independent service history, and if so when was the last service and what mileage?

The car has full audi service history up until the last service which was done by an independent. Should I post this in the another forum as I suspect it may not be specifically related to the A7?

Regards

Drop it into the A6 (C7) forum, as it’s busier in there so will get more attention.

You may also want to join and post here: