Gear box slotting into reverse rather then 1st!

scoss

Reaction score
Had this issue today when stationary at lights and in neutral with engine off. I was shocking to see my rear camera come and to find than I was in reverse rather then 1st. I don't think I'm that heavy handed but this has happened a handful of times since owning the car. Anyone have this? I hardly put any downward pressure on the gear stick.
What issue would this lean toward if there was a fault?

Thanks

Had this issue today when stationary at lights and in neutral with engine off. I was shocking to see my rear camera come and to find than I was in reverse rather then 1st. I don't think I'm that heavy handed but this has happened a handful of times since owning the car. Anyone have this? I hardly put any downward pressure on the gear stick.

Thanks

Sounds like it could be the selector linkage worn, but you wouldn't expect that on a new car.

Pop it into Audi, it will only take a technician a minute to confirm the fault and book you in.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Assuming your car is manual.... this has happened to me on a few occasions - I assumed it was me, after a few scares I stopped using the Stop/Start feature (just keep clutch in now) as I felt maybe I was rushing too much to go into first when the lights change. I'd be interested if you get it looked into and find it is a fault.

Assuming your car is manual.... this has happened to me on a few occasions - I assumed it was me, after a few scares I stopped using the Stop/Start feature (just keep clutch in now) as I felt maybe I was rushing too much to go into first when the lights change. I'd be interested if you get it looked into and find it is a fault.

I've def slowed how soon I go to engage first gear when at traffic lights. keeping your clutch engaged will def shorten your clutches life time.

BTW I've got my car booked into Audi in a few weeks so i will ask them about this.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I've had my manual a year and never had this issue. Always turn start stop off and always have my foot off the clutch.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Gordo77 and richinsoton
I've had my manual a year and never had this issue. Always turn start stop off and always have my foot off the clutch.

Out of interest why do you turn it off?

Out of interest why do you turn it off?

Personally, I always leave my car idle after a drive to give the turbo chance to cool. Some say the cars don't need it these days, they may not but it will only do good for the car even if it doesn't need it.

I HATE the fact that I could drive for 4 hours straight in whatever manner, pull up at a set of traffic lights and the car instantly shuts off. It's the startup procedure for me, start engine, start stop off and then pull away.

I never drive the car very hard close to home, always back off a few minutes before to allow the oil to cool and circulate the turbo. For a typical journey, I will leave the engine running 15 seconds approximately. If I've driven to work in a spirited manner, I get out of the car and get my bags out of the boot before the engine is shut off.
When I arrive home I unlock the garage and put the car in, so typically the car is sat for a couple of minutes there.
If I've driven for a couple of hours to another destination, the car tends to have about a minute after a long motorway journey.

Some will agree, some won't but for me giving the car time to 'settle' is a must.
I do use Start Stop, but only when I drive in heavy traffic moving car lengths in minutes (maybe once every few months as I work shifts, lucky me!). If I've been sat there a few minutes and made little progress, the engine has had its cool off session and only then do I use start stop.

What I find quite strange in the S Tronic is how it all happens so fast, I struggle to believe the starter motor has disengaged by the time the car starts moving.. incredible really. Another bug bear with my S Tronic, when pulling up gradually in slow traffic I have had it 15-20 times where the engine cuts out at say 4mph.. In turn you lose all steering. Now that I don't like, another reason why typically it's off even in traffic situations.

Reactions: azibux1, richinsoton and pburv
Firstly, it does my head in and don't like it.

Secondly, I'm running stage 2 so don't want it turning off when I don't want it to.

Should be an option in my opinion as it's only use is for fuel economy.

Reactions: AudiNutta, richinsoton and pburv

Yes I wish we could toggle the default - so normally off, and you use the button to turn it on...

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and MikeParkin

...and emissions. Poor air pollution in cities contribute to a huge number of deaths every year, especially cities, and climate change of course.

...and emissions. Poor air pollution in cities contribute to a huge number of deaths every year, especially cities, and climate change of course.
If anything it adds to the emissions with all the vehicles constantly stop / starting delaying the engine warming up through the warm up phase as quickly as possible especially this time of year.

When I collected the car, Audi mentioned that next year it's a possibility that the EU will make it a requirement that these start stop systems, cannot be deactivated so we will have to use them.

Reactions: pburv
When I collected the car, Audi mentioned that next year it's a possibility that the EU will make it a requirement that these start stop systems, cannot be deactivated so we will have to use them.
Will be a sad day if that happens...:concern:

Reactions: AudiNutta
If anything it adds to the emissions with all the vehicles constantly stop / starting delaying the engine warming up through the warm up phase as quickly as possible especially this time of year.

They're not supposed to stop in unfavourable conditions, like whilst the engine is still considered too cold. Certainly mine take a while to work - longer in cold weather

Reactions: cemerson and Soulboy
I find you have to make allowance for the system if you haven't switched it off when you are at junctions etc.Especially if you want to get out in a hurry..

I find you have to make allowance for the system if you haven't switched it off when you are at junctions etc.Especially if you want to get out in a hurry..

Especially in a manual. Feel like a learner sometimes, stalling the damn thing at a junction :fearscream: :blackrs4:

And it's kinda weird when that happens as the car auto-restarts! :astonished:

Especially in a manual. Feel like a learner sometimes, stalling the damn thing at a junction :fearscream: :blackrs4:

And it's kinda weird when that happens as the car auto-restarts! :astonished:
Never been in a manual car with stop/start feature believe it or not..It must be worse..:yes:

I think I'll trust the engineers who designed the system thanks.

Never been in a manual car with stop/start feature believe it or not..It must be worse..:yes:

Nope, it's absolutely fine. Took about 5 or 6 times with it working to easily adapt. Any decent driver can learn to anticipate & account for its working when needing to pull out quickly or whatever.

When I've had the S-Tronic while mine is in service or whatever, I've found it an even shorter time to adapt.

Frankly if you're trying to put the clutch down at the same time as you would in a car without stop/start to pull into a gap and not realising that you'd need to do it a tiny bit earlier, I hope I don't come across you on the roads any time soon. You sound dangerous!

To be fair by the time you've dipped the clutch (assuming you're in neutral) to select a gear the car has restarted no delay at all, but if I'm in a hurry dip clutch only stay in gear & stop/start doesn't cut in unless you select neutral & release clutch e.g traffic queuing.

To be honest I've never really had an issue with start stop but it's pointless, unless and only good for fuel economy and emissions like we have mentioned before.

At the end of the day it is just SH1T and that is that.

We did not have start stop years ago and don't need it now.

If you rely on start stop then you need to have some more driving lessons or have a re-sit at least!

Reactions: pburv and AudiNutta
To be honest I've never really had an issue with start stop but it's pointless, unless and only good for fuel economy and emissions like we have mentioned before.

At the end of the day it is just SH1T and that is that.

We did not have start stop years ago and don't need it now.

If you rely on start stop then you need to have some more driving lessons or have a re-sit at least!

Noone 'relies' on stop start. What's wrong with lowering emissions and improving fuel economy exactly?

Reactions: Gordo77
Can't say stop/start bothers me in the slightest.
It works and saves me keep turning engine on/off when stuck in traffic jams.

Just my opinion obviously. Other (incorrect) opinions are also available.:haudrauf:

Reactions: cemerson, pburv and Gordo77
Nope, it's absolutely fine. Took about 5 or 6 times with it working to easily adapt. Any decent driver can learn to anticipate & account for its working when needing to pull out quickly or whatever.

When I've had the S-Tronic while mine is in service or whatever, I've found it an even shorter time to adapt.

Frankly if you're trying to put the clutch down at the same time as you would in a car without stop/start to pull into a gap and not realising that you'd need to do it a tiny bit earlier, I hope I don't come across you on the roads any time soon. You sound dangerous!
How can you make an assumption that I am dangerous on one post..
I think you need to think a little before you make comments about someone you don't know.
I consider myself a very safe driver in all 26 years I have driven cars I have never had any accident.
In my post all I was saying is that you have to take into account the extra time the stop/start feature takes in kicking in.
I am just glad I didn't encounter you at any junction the 5 or 6 times it took you to adapt to the stop /start feature.

Reactions: Sandra and AudiNutta
Sorry, that wasn't aimed specifically at you, more at anyone who claims the system makes driving 'dangerous'. It's nonsense.

Reactions: Sandra and pburv
What I am saying is on S, RS cars and any other performance car start stop is pointless.

In all other cars it may well be a great feature, In my experience though it's annoying and the benefits do not warrant its existence.

Reactions: richinsoton and pburv

Thanks

My 2014 skoda octavia vrs manual did the same thing!

First dealer tried to tell me there wasn't anything wrong ... had to go to a second dealer and they ended up replacing the gear selection mechanism! Which cured the issue completely!

My 2014 skoda octavia vrs manual did the same thing!

First dealer tried to tell me there wasn't anything wrong ... had to go to a second dealer and they ended up replacing the gear selection mechanism! Which cured the issue completely!

Was your issue intermittent though? The hard part is demonstrating that there is an issue and you're not loosing your marbles!

Reactions: RSS-S3 and pburv
Was your issue intermittent though? The hard part is demonstrating that there is an issue and you're not loosing your marbles!
The other thing to take into consideration is how busy the dealership is.If they are 'rammed' with work then they will try their best to fob you off..:yes:

Reactions: RSS-S3

It was difficult!
But I managed to film it on my phone over a period of 15 gear selections, but as I said the first dealer really screwed me about. I had 2 previous visits into the garage and both times they said nothing was wrong! In the small time frame between driving home from the dealership My car got itself stuck in reverse instead of first!! (Typically right in the midddle of a junction)

Sat for 5 minutes wrestling with it and it eventually popped out like nothing was ever a issue.

This time I limped the car into another skoda dealer and I was thrilled that one of the senior techs managed to replicate the fault twice on a test drive...

They replaced the entire gear selection box and linkages and hey presto..... it never went tits up again!

Reactions: richinsoton, Sandra and pburv
It was difficult!
But I managed to film it on my phone over a period of 15 gear selections, but as I said the first dealer really screwed me about. I had 2 previous visits into the garage and both times they said nothing was wrong! In the small time frame between driving home from the dealership My car got itself stuck in reverse instead of first!! (Typically right in the midddle of a junction)

Sat for 5 minutes wrestling with it and it eventually popped out like nothing was ever a issue.

This time I limped the car into another skoda dealer and I was thrilled that one of the senior techs managed to replicate the fault twice on a test drive...

They replaced the entire gear selection box and linkages and hey presto..... it never went tits up again!

How much did this cost?

How much did this cost?

It was repared under warranty and because I kicked up a right fuss with skoda UK i got lent a Mk3 TT ultra to play with ! :D

Reactions: pburv and richinsoton