Gear Change Indicator

CompanyCarMan

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me if i could switch on the gear change indicator on my DIS, or can this only be done by Audi?

CompanyCarMan said:
the gear change indicator
What gear change indicator?

Automatics display the curent gear at the bottom of the DIS - but that cannot be enabled on manuals (there's no sensors to tell the car what gear you are in).

Hi

Apparently there is....at the very bottom of the full colour DIS there is a space, which when enabled tells you when and what gear to select to maintain peak fuel economy.

Example: it may show to change from 3rd to 5th or 4th down to second etc.

This is also shown in the hand book, but states that the Audi garage can switch this function on or off as you require.

CompanyCarMan said:
Apparently there is....at the very bottom of the full colour DIS there is a space, which when enabled tells you when and what gear to select to maintain peak fuel economy.

Example: it may show to change from 3rd to 5th or 4th down to second etc.

This is also shown in the hand book, but states that the Audi garage can switch this function on or off as you require.
Only if you have DSG or multitronic (or whatever silly name Audi are using this year!) - if you have a manual you can't have it!

The handbooks show all options for all variants - that doesn't mean that all cars can have everything shown in the handbook...

Thanks and I do understand that just because it is in the book then its not on my car.

There is a note regarding the gear change indicator that states 'Applies to vehicles with manual gearbox and gear change indicator'

Now I have a manual gearbox, but when I ordered my car no where did give me an option to request an option of an indicator, so my question still stands.

Does any know if this can be switched on?

Are you talking about an indicator to show which gear you're in, or an indicator to tell you when to change gear? I have this, but it is a tiptronic gearbox, and I haven't seen it on a manual.

arthurfuxake said:
I have this, but it is a tiptronic gearbox, and I haven't seen it on a manual.
What I've been saying ...

Sorry guys IT DOES NOT look like this....like i have been saying!

I will upload a picture, I know the difference between a gear indicator and gear change indicator!

Thanks for the pic though.....

Take it to your local Audi dealer and they should clear it up for you. Such a simple job should be done free of charge aswell

CompanyCarMan said:
Sorry guys IT DOES NOT look like this....like i have been saying!

I will upload a picture, I know the difference between a gear indicator and gear change indicator!

Thanks for the pic though.....

EASY TIGER!! We are trying to be helpfull here. Impatience and SHOUTING at us won't win you any friends on here mate.:no:

Get a pic up, and we'll try again.:friends:

Why would you want a gear change indicator on an auto? it does it for you.
If you decide to put it into tiptronic mode then fuel economy goes out the window anyway and your hint to change is when the car won't go any faster!

This sounds like the shift light i had in my Toyota...

Hi CompanyCarMan,

What you are referring to is a feature on the bluemotion (vw) and e (audi) models that are appearing in the marketplace.

The onboard computer measures throttle position, the gear you are in, the speed, the revs and rolling resistance, and tells you the optimum time to change up or down.

Accompanied with special tyres, weight saving measures - it makes for an economic motor.

Standard models don't have the extra ecu, the sensors, or the switch gear, which means you will be unable to switch this feature on in your DIS.

Sorry!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/02/audi-unveils-a4-with-yaris-beating-fuel-economy/

gtiller said:
Standard models don't have the extra ecu, the sensors, or the switch gear, which means you will be unable to switch this feature on in your DIS.
I've been trying to get CompanyCarMan to believe that from the beginning of this discussion...